What glasses for VR

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Crakob

What glasses for VR

Post by Crakob » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:38 pm

Does anyone know, what type of Glasses you need for VR. Is it glasses for reading or for the distance ??

Christian
CRAKOB = CRA

BOD1

Re: What glasses for VR

Post by BOD1 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:40 pm

Distance
Please use this button to send me a PM, Forum messaging is too limited.

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:47 pm

I bought lenses on this site: https://vroptiker.de/ and I'm happy :)
Please use this button to send me a PM, Forum messaging is too limited.

Gunth3r

Post by Gunth3r » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:25 pm

If you need glasses to view distant object clearly in r/l, then in VR you will most likely need the same distance correction.

I at first, (incorrectly) believed that I would not need to wear my glasses as I only need them for viewing distant objects with clarity. I read fine (to about 40cm) without vision correction. My thinking was that since the VR headset/screens sit just a few mm from my eyes I would not need the distance correction... This however is not the case. I definitely need the distance correction when using the Rift CV1.

It is my understanding that the CV1 focal distance is at approx 2m (6 foot 5 inches). So if you can focus (uncorrected) clearly on an object at a distance of approx 2m or greater, you will probably not need vision correction while using the CV1.

As to the OP question... I tried positioning the CV1 headset over my prescription glasses and found that to be utterly miserable. I tried 3d printing lens holder and then inserting lenses and placing this into the CV1 headset. This was not ideal as the insert lenses were so close to my eyes my eyelashes were constantly making contact. My son has the Oculus Rift S (CV2) and the headset frame is slightly bigger and it will fit over my glasses with minimal effort, however this again is not ideal when putting on and taking off the headset. Also there is additional pressure on nose area of the glasses from the headset.

Best solution for me is to wear contact lenses whilst using VR.