Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

GlenBecker

Re: flight computer and keyboard integration for VR

Post by GlenBecker » Sun May 03, 2020 9:06 pm

cvvs wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:24 am
Hello everybody
The framework of a program like xcsoar in condor with my occulus rift still does not work in spite of numerous update of occulus.
is there really a system so that it works well and that we no longer have this sacred black screen or much more often the orange circle and exclamation mark.
I watch ovrdrop, but a priori it does not work if you do not go through steam.
And I don't really understand how to launch condor from steam afterwards

complicated to have xcsoar during our virtual flight.
all good idea I would be interested in testing it so that it is stable
I don't know how the various VR ecosystems work together, but the "fractured" state of the VR world definitely adds a serious level of complexity right now. Hopefully, as with most other technologies, as the VR world matures the various ecosystems will either live or die, or work out how to make it easier to work together.

I use a cheap Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) headset (Lenovo Explorer), so I have zero personal experience with the other major platforms. So far I haven't found anything I can't make work, regardless of platform. Though some things have definitely required a ton of "work" to figure out the various software requirements..and sometimes complete hacks. I'm better with computers and software than I am with soaring. :)

Having said all that: you don't launch Condor from Steam. How do you normally start Condor? It appears to be designed for Oculus.

I don't launch Condor from Steam but, since I don't have an Oculus headset, I can't just run Condor directly either. I use a tool called Revive to start Condor. Revive is apparently just a tool to allow games designed for Oculus to be played on WMR headsets. https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/wiki

Because you have Oculus, and Condor is designed for it, you don't need Revive but maybe this helps you in putting together the puzzle for your situation. Is there a tool that allows the use of SteamVR programs with Oculus?

Alternately have a look at this about using OVRDrop with Oculus games. https://steamcommunity.com/games/586210 ... 2088744691

Good luck! VR amplified my enjoyment of Condor 10-fold! Having XCSoar in Condor added enough satisfaction that, for me at least, it was worth the project of figuring how to make it work. :)

pckormic

Post by pckormic » Sun May 03, 2020 9:50 pm

!!Thanks a lot, GlenBecker¡¡ :D :D :D :D

I have followed your advices about the use of XCSoar inside the VR cockpit, that it was one of my dreams when I started to fly Condor in VR.

Today, following your latest instructions finally I have been able to "create" a profile in OVRdrop that put the XCSoar panel inside the cockpit.

i created a few commands inside of my VAC Condor profile to handle XCSoar inside of the Condor sim, but it doesn´t work.

I have seen your .pdf in the forum. but I am not able to "translate" your commands to my profile. :x

So please, could you send me the VAC profile that you are using to copy the commands to my own profile? :shock:

Thankyou very much.

Goodbye and goood flights :D

cvvs

Post by cvvs » Mon May 04, 2020 12:14 am

GlenBecker wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:06 pm
cvvs wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:24 am
Hello everybody
The framework of a program like xcsoar in condor with my occulus rift still does not work in spite of numerous update of occulus.
is there really a system so that it works well and that we no longer have this sacred black screen or much more often the orange circle and exclamation mark.
I watch ovrdrop, but a priori it does not work if you do not go through steam.
And I don't really understand how to launch condor from steam afterwards

complicated to have xcsoar during our virtual flight.
all good idea I would be interested in testing it so that it is stable
I don't know how the various VR ecosystems work together, but the "fractured" state of the VR world definitely adds a serious level of complexity right now. Hopefully, as with most other technologies, as the VR world matures the various ecosystems will either live or die, or work out how to make it easier to work together.

I use a cheap Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) headset (Lenovo Explorer), so I have zero personal experience with the other major platforms. So far I haven't found anything I can't make work, regardless of platform. Though some things have definitely required a ton of "work" to figure out the various software requirements..and sometimes complete hacks. I'm better with computers and software than I am with soaring. :)

Having said all that: you don't launch Condor from Steam. How do you normally start Condor? It appears to be designed for Oculus.

I don't launch Condor from Steam but, since I don't have an Oculus headset, I can't just run Condor directly either. I use a tool called Revive to start Condor. Revive is apparently just a tool to allow games designed for Oculus to be played on WMR headsets. https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/wiki

Because you have Oculus, and Condor is designed for it, you don't need Revive but maybe this helps you in putting together the puzzle for your situation. Is there a tool that allows the use of SteamVR programs with Oculus?

Alternately have a look at this about using OVRDrop with Oculus games. https://steamcommunity.com/games/586210 ... 2088744691

Good luck! VR amplified my enjoyment of Condor 10-fold! Having XCSoar in Condor added enough satisfaction that, for me at least, it was worth the project of figuring how to make it work. :)
thank you GlenBecker, i will look at the 2 links you gave me.
I will keep you posted if this progresses positively

GlenBecker

Post by GlenBecker » Wed May 06, 2020 6:42 pm

pckormic wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:50 pm
I have seen your .pdf in the forum. but I am not able to "translate" your commands to my profile. :x
So please, could you send me the VAC profile that you are using to copy the commands to my own profile? :shock:
Congrats, I'm glad I could help.

The free version of Voice Attack doesn't let me export the command profiles. I'll take a look at what the paid version costs, but it will be at least the weekend.

-Glen

cvvs

Post by cvvs » Thu May 07, 2020 1:47 am

pckormic wrote:

I have followed your advices about the use of XCSoar inside the VR cockpit, that it was one of my dreams when I started to fly Condor in VR.

Today, following your latest instructions finally I have been able to "create" a profile in OVRdrop that put the XCSoar panel inside the cockpit.

i created a few commands inside of my VAC Condor profile to handle XCSoar inside of the Condor sim, but it doesn´t work.

Thankyou very much.

Pkormic, is that with ovrdrop, you manage to have the xcsoar in your glider under condor.
If yes I would possibly buy this application because by the occulus system it still does not work even having been to see the 2 Glen links that I thank.

pckormic

Post by pckormic » Thu May 07, 2020 11:40 am

cvvs wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:47 am
pckormic wrote:

Thankyou very much.

Pkormic, is that with ovrdrop, you manage to have the xcsoar in your glider under condor.
If yes I would possibly buy this application because by the occulus system it still does not work even having been to see the 2 Glen links that I thank.
Yes, I confirm that I was talking about the OVRDrop program. This program runs under Steam, so you have to instal first the Steam program. In the OVRDrop instructions says it runs under Oculus, but not every Oculus program works with OVRDrop. I use an Valve Index HMD, that runs under Steam, and to run Condor (Oculus native) I have to use "Revive" program.

I suppose that to use a Oculus Rift or Oculus Rift S you have to install besides the Oculus software, the Steam software and the SteamVR.
I have read that with some Oculus programs, to make it run with the OVRDROP you have to change the windows program compatibily to Windows 7 .

To do so, follow this instructions:

For other games, these basic steps might work:
1. Right click the game in your Steam Library
2. Click Properties
3. Click the LOCAL FILES tab
4. Click Browse Local Files...
7. Right click the game's exe
8. Click Properties
9. Click the Compatibility tab
10. Check the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode for:
11. Select Windows 7 in the dropdown.
12. Click Ok to close the properties window.

If the game has a 32bit and a 64bit exe, be sure to set both to run with compatibility.

If you purchase the program, (9.99€) I hope my instructions serves to you...

Goodbye

cvvs

Post by cvvs » Sun May 10, 2020 2:01 am

I now buy ovrdrop, however I don't understand how to configure xcsoar with ovrdrop.
And the tutorials are very poor

GlenBecker

Post by GlenBecker » Sun May 17, 2020 3:14 am

pckormic wrote:
Attached.
We may have to tweak as the Condor versions progress. I use the name of the Condor window to change the focus (between Condor and XCSoar) and it might not work if the window is no longer titled "Condor version 2.0.9".

Have fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GlenBecker

Post by GlenBecker » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:52 pm

Voice Attack profiles updated for Condor 2.1.3.
They'll need to be updated everytime the Condor version changes.

I use a windows command script to start all the bits & bobs required to get Condor launched into VR (including tools like XCSoar and the virtual com port). It would be simple to use the SetText script or Cmdow (https://ritchielawrence.github.io/cmdow/) to alter the name of the Condor window when it opens, but I'll work on that later. Maybe. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fang2020

Post by Fang2020 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:07 am

Gday, I havent read the whole thread, but if you get a 10-20 channel radio controller say trannis brand for $250au, and appropriate receiver, Or bT receiver to plug into computer, set your selve up in mode 2 or three and most of newer rc transmitters use a audio for diffrent switch changes!
I use spektrum ix12 (yes, way over kill)
And as a rc glider flyer, (ex rc heli flyer)
Ive learned what switch does what and and going to hire vr head set to fly with for a week!
Rolf