Oculus Quest or oculus rift s

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

O_stry

Re: Oculus Quest or oculus rift s

Post by O_stry » Wed May 13, 2020 11:18 am

Hi dan73boat. I have just sold my Oculus Rift (CV1) and replaced it with the Quest.
The Quest has just arrived and I love the tracking, absence of sensor cables and the overall experience improvement over Rift. Cannot compare with the Rift S but there is no shortage of YouTube videos on that (I found the Virtual Reality Oasis channel most useful).
- The lack of IPD adjustment in Rift S was a show-stopper for me - reportedly, the nominal IPD in Rift S is 63.5 mm and the optimal range is +/- 2mm. I am well beyond 65.5 mm.
- It is true the Quest is a bit front-heavy but I have not found it to be problematic. Might try some workaround if it becomes tiring.
- Oculus Link works fine for me over the Anker cable. I only intend to use it with Condor and a race sim :D otherwise remain cable-free.

Will report when I have had opportunity to fly more.

melcrose

Post by melcrose » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:17 pm

Also have a quest - The "sweet spot" is pretty much the entire view if you can get your eyes close enough to the lens - it's fantastic. A HUGE upgrade from the Samsung o+.

I'm running it through virtual desktop (wireless VR) ..

Currently I have to Launch virtual desktop, then launch Steam VR. That puts me in steam VR mode.. click the menu button on the left hand, that gives me a "desktop" option - hit that, load condor via revive from there. Zero latency or lag that I can tell.

YES, I realize that condor should be oculus compatible and I shouldn't need revive and steam (?) need to get that figured out, but this works well enough. :)

dirknator

Post by dirknator » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:50 am

I just got an Oculus Quest (link). I got it to work with Condor, but it only runs for about 5 minutes and the VR goggles lock up and I get a freeze frame. Has anyone seen this problem and know what it is?

Dirk

SJDobby

Post by SJDobby » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:03 pm

Note that as of earlier this year the USB-C charging cable that is supplied with the Quest works as a link cable so you don’t need to buy a separate USB cable if your pc has a USB-C port.

https://www.androidcentral.com/oculus-l ... ulus-quest

Regards
Simon

SJDobby

Post by SJDobby » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:06 pm

dirknator wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:50 am
I just got an Oculus Quest (link). I got it to work with Condor, but it only runs for about 5 minutes and the VR goggles lock up and I get a freeze frame. Has anyone seen this problem and know what it is?
I do occasionally (and randomly) get frame-freeze for 10 or 20 seconds and then Condor quits; it is not necessarily after a specific length of time - yesterday it happened twice, once after 15 minutes and on another flight after about 45 minutes. I haven't used Condor without the VR headset yet so cannot say if it is the VR that is the issue.