Oculus Quest or oculus rift s

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

O_stry

Re: Oculus Quest or oculus rift s

Post by O_stry » Wed May 13, 2020 11:18 am

Hi dan73boat. I have just sold my Oculus Rift (CV1) and replaced it with the Quest.
The Quest has just arrived and I love the tracking, absence of sensor cables and the overall experience improvement over Rift. Cannot compare with the Rift S but there is no shortage of YouTube videos on that (I found the Virtual Reality Oasis channel most useful).
- The lack of IPD adjustment in Rift S was a show-stopper for me - reportedly, the nominal IPD in Rift S is 63.5 mm and the optimal range is +/- 2mm. I am well beyond 65.5 mm.
- It is true the Quest is a bit front-heavy but I have not found it to be problematic. Might try some workaround if it becomes tiring.
- Oculus Link works fine for me over the Anker cable. I only intend to use it with Condor and a race sim :D otherwise remain cable-free.

Will report when I have had opportunity to fly more.

melcrose

Post by melcrose » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:17 pm

Also have a quest - The "sweet spot" is pretty much the entire view if you can get your eyes close enough to the lens - it's fantastic. A HUGE upgrade from the Samsung o+.

I'm running it through virtual desktop (wireless VR) ..

Currently I have to Launch virtual desktop, then launch Steam VR. That puts me in steam VR mode.. click the menu button on the left hand, that gives me a "desktop" option - hit that, load condor via revive from there. Zero latency or lag that I can tell.

YES, I realize that condor should be oculus compatible and I shouldn't need revive and steam (?) need to get that figured out, but this works well enough. :)

dirknator

Post by dirknator » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:50 am

I just got an Oculus Quest (link). I got it to work with Condor, but it only runs for about 5 minutes and the VR goggles lock up and I get a freeze frame. Has anyone seen this problem and know what it is?

Dirk

SJDobby

Post by SJDobby » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:03 pm

Note that as of earlier this year the USB-C charging cable that is supplied with the Quest works as a link cable so you don’t need to buy a separate USB cable if your pc has a USB-C port.

https://www.androidcentral.com/oculus-l ... ulus-quest

Regards
Simon

SJDobby

Post by SJDobby » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:06 pm

dirknator wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:50 am
I just got an Oculus Quest (link). I got it to work with Condor, but it only runs for about 5 minutes and the VR goggles lock up and I get a freeze frame. Has anyone seen this problem and know what it is?
I do occasionally (and randomly) get frame-freeze for 10 or 20 seconds and then Condor quits; it is not necessarily after a specific length of time - yesterday it happened twice, once after 15 minutes and on another flight after about 45 minutes. I haven't used Condor without the VR headset yet so cannot say if it is the VR that is the issue.

oliverpolden

Post by oliverpolden » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:11 pm

I've been using a Quest 2 with Condor and I have to say it's been amazing! But...
  • It has a battery and is heavier than an original Rift (which I also have). I do find it fine for a couple of hours flight.
  • My computer doesn't have a USB-C port so it can't provide enough power to keep the Quest 2 topped up. I haven't yet had it run out on me if it's fully charged but my max has probably been about two hours of use. I think it should be fine for 3 possibly 4 or maybe more hours. But of course with the Rift you don't need to worry about that. I could potentially get a card to add USB-C ports but would need to check they deliver the extra power needed.
  • I have had VR just stop working with no way to get it back (it does revert to the screen though). I think this depends on the graphics memory being used up, so less memory intensive settings seem to help such as increasing the terrain mesh fadeout. Terrain mesh and texture quality may help as well.
  • Remember, if you're in VR then it's best to forget about using your keyboard, mouse or any other equipment such as a tablet/phone for XCSoar. So you'll need a decent Joystick, throttle etc with lots of buttons. I have a Logitech G940 which has A LOT of buttons and I still sometimes feel like I need more, the problem is, the more buttons you have, the easier it is to forget which is which!
  • I have had the occasional blank screen for a few seconds as another poster has mentioned.
  • I don't feel nauseous but I could see it possibly affecting some people pretty badly but there are settings to stop all the bobbing about. Both the glider and the horizon bob about but you can apparently get the glider or the horizon to remain static but I haven't changed these settings.
The good:
  • Condor doesn't require a high system specification in the grand scheme of things so you can get away with minimum VR requirements. Especially as Condor is a 32bit application and only supports a maximum of 3GB memory (I believe that's both system and video). Most people could get away with upgrading to an Nvidia 1060, maybe even slightly less but I wouldn't push it especially as you might be pulled into other VR stuff once you've got a headset.
  • The Quest 2's resolution is way way higher than the Rift. (Not sure how it compares to the Rift S but it will be at least slightly better)
    Oculus does have a feature where you can pin a window in VR which I use to bring XCSoar in by running it on the PC and linking it with a serial port emulator.
  • Don't underestimate how good VR is for Condor. Being able to keep an eye on the ridge/cloud, wind direction, map, speed, vario and other gliders all at once is a game changer not to mention situational awareness. Not being able to look where you need, when you need, is just asking for trouble. Just being able to see Clouds and hills in 3D allows you to better predict lift and plan your route.
  • If you're learning to glide for real then VR will translate better. You're able to keep an eye on your airfield during the tow, getting the angles right on your landing circuit is pretty much the same as reality. Manoeuvres such as stalling, thermalling etc. feel natural.
  • You really get that immersion feeling that you can't get with a flat screen.
  • As the Quest 2 is standalone then you can use it for other stuff without the computer. Could be good if you have other family members that use the computer but remember the Quest 2 can't run Condor by itself.
  • As the Quest becomes your "Screen" you don't need to be sat at your desk. I have sometimes flown from my sofa with my joystick on my lap, not ideal since the joystick isn't stable, but it is comfortable and a more natural position for gliding!