GPU vor VR

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

janjansen

Re: GPU vor VR

Post by janjansen » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:52 am

Condor does seem to benefit from 2 cores (/threads). If I set affinity to just a single core, I do get a significant performance drop. But yes, its entirely possible some of these situations are CPU bottlenecked. The high poly tree thing seems to be cpu bound. But the frame rate issue that sometimes occurs with large clouds is GPU fill rate bound according to uros. Unfortunately, I havent been able to replicate that reliably for testing.

UrosM

Post by UrosM » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:21 pm

Thanks for all help. Decided to go with 1070 or, hopefully, 1070 Ti.

sisu1a

Post by sisu1a » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:18 am

UrosM wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:21 pm
Thanks for all help. Decided to go with 1070 or, hopefully, 1070 Ti.

Get a 2060. It's as powerful as a 1070ti for a fraction of the price. It costs less than a 1070 and much less than a 1070ti which its dead even with. It's easily best value mid-range card and has a longer shelf life ahead of it than the 10 series. It's not often a card so clearly rises above the other options.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/nvidia- ... rs-edition

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/0 ... -gtx-1070/

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/0 ... -rtx-2060/

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:57 am

sisu1a wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:18 am
Get a 2060. It's as powerful as a 1070ti for a fraction of the price. It costs less than a 1070 and much less than a 1070ti which its dead even with. It's easily best value mid-range card and has a longer shelf life ahead of it than the 10 series. It's not often a card so clearly rises above the other options.
A 2060 is not cheaper, at all. I guess you again missed the part where Uros said he is fine buying a used card or the fact he lives in europe. Where exactly can you buy 2060s for ~200 euro + vat ?
A 2060 is not faster in raw pixel or texel performance by a long shot. Show me the DCS benchmarks of a 2060. Most DCS pilots put RTX card performance in DCS roughly on par with the GTX Ti equivalent, so a 2080 RTX similar to a 1080 Ti and 2070 would be about the same as a 1070 Ti. A 2070 costs at least double of a used 1070Ti and a 2060 is in a different league.
And finally, a 2060 only has 6GB of vram, which is painfully inadequate in DCS (more so in VR). Even the 8GB of a 1070/Ti is really not enough for multiplayer depending what planes you fly and what settings, 10GB of vram is no exception in DCS. So DCS pilots flock to 11GB cards like the 1080 Ti, and I see some of them dumping that for the Radeon VII even though it costs 800 euro and only has similar pixel/texel throughput, but it has 16GB vram.

sisu1a

Post by sisu1a » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:46 am

Yeah, missed the used part. I normally buy everything used.. heck, I even bought my sailplane off ebay :p

GPU are one of the things I don't trust used though,unless I know the person. Too many are abused to hell from bitcoin mining then sold off after years straight of running really hot/hard. Sucks bad enough the mining market drove up the prices of gpu in the first place but doubly so since it makes buying used ones a sketchier as well.

New, a 2060 trounces anything in its weight class. Also lucky for DCS players ED has worked out VR optimization that is supposed to improve fps by like 50% or something, so in the coming months things will be a lot better. Wasn't saying 2060 was the ultimate card, just that nothing (new cost) can touch it in the $350 category. The price/performance ratio goes way up to get more performance. Cards that cost 200-300% more are only like 20-30% better.

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:21 am

sisu1a wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:46 am
Yeah, missed the used part. I normally buy everything used.. heck, I even bought my sailplane off ebay :p

GPU are one of the things I don't trust used though,unless I know the person. Too many are abused to hell from bitcoin mining then sold off after years straight of running really hot/hard. Sucks bad enough the mining market drove up the prices of gpu in the first place but doubly so since it makes buying used ones a sketchier as well.
nvidia cards were never used for bitcoin mining. Even before bitcoin asics, everyone used AMD cards because nvidia's architecture sucks for SHA hashing. nVidia cards were/are used for Ethash and CryptoNight mining (ethereum, monero etc), which really isnt that hard on the GPU or VRMs as those algorithms are primarily vram latency bound. Miners who know what they are doing, especially in europe (high electricity prices), will have run those cards with significant core underclocks and even undervolted to have any hopes of being profitable, because core clocks hardly matter, its all about vram. Besides, these cards will have run in open air rigs with good cooling and 24/7 operation tends be less harmful than thermal cycles. The only real concern of buying ex mining cards is the fans, which may have worn out, started rattling, and can be (very) dusty. Although fan quality and durability has improved over the years, when buying a used mining card, check if you can find replacement fans and factor in that cost (typically 10-20 euro).

FWIW, I bought my 1070 from a local miner, it was advertised as an ex miner card, and I thus expected to have to replace the fans. It was dusty, but it is has been completely fine for the past 6 months, and when i bought it, it was about 1/2 the price of a 2060, while performing closer to a 2070 in the games that matter to me. If you are looking to save a buck, it doesnt get much better than ex mining cards. Gamers understandably complained for years about mining driving up GPU prices; but now you can have your dividend and get some incredible deals.
New, a 2060 trounces anything in its weight class.
It just happens its weight class can be defined as "cards that are needlessly expensive for condor and largely inadequate for DCS" ;)
But even within that category and when restricting myself to new cards, I would rather buy a vega56 for DCS. Benchmarks are difficult to find, so it would be a bit of a gamble, for sure you will have to cope with the heat, but more than 50% higher texture fill rate and 2GB extra makes it a no-brainer to me. It even seems to be a little bit cheaper than a 2060.
Also lucky for DCS players ED has worked out VR optimization that is supposed to improve fps by like 50% or something, so in the coming months things will be a lot better.
No reason to assume that wont apply to 10x0 cards or AMD cards for that matter. And its badly needed, when even 2080Tis cant maintain 90FPS with a rift (nevermind pimax or other higher resolution VR sets). Even 45 FPS is not a given.