Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

OXO
Condor Team

Re: Rift S 1440P

Post by OXO » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:30 am

pckormic wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:19 pm

Thanks for the clarification, janjansen, I really don´t know how the VR implementation works in Condor 2.
Simple really. We use the Oculus API drivers from Oculus with no middleware for Rift.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:52 am

Chris, maybe instead of buying a rift S, you (or uros) could consider buying a WMR device, and see if you can fix the MSAA issue and make it run condor without jumping through hoops?

I have no doubt the rift S will work fine with condor, and personally Im more interested in Pimax for the wide FoV, but the pimax already works and these WMR devices are providing so much bang for the buck, its an ideal way to get in to VR and its a shame they dont work properly with condor yet. The APIs being all native directx11, I would expect it to be relatively easy. Well, you know, easy as in easy to say :)

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:04 am

janjansen wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:52 am
Chris, maybe instead of buying a rift S, you (or uros) could consider buying a WMR device, and see if you can fix the MSAA issue and make it run condor without jumping through hoops?

I have no doubt the rift S will work fine with condor, and personally Im more interested in Pimax for the wide FoV, but the pimax already works and these WMR devices are providing so much bang for the buck, its an ideal way to get in to VR and its a shame they dont work properly with condor yet. The APIs being all native directx11, I would expect it to be relatively easy. Well, you know, easy as in easy to say :)

Better to have that discussion in the other place.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

pckormic

Post by pckormic » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:42 pm

janjansen wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:52 am

janjansen, I totally agree with you. My only doubt is if the Pimax 5K XR (OLED Lenses) deserves the extra cost of 200 U.S dollars from the Pimax 5K plus. :?

And for Oxo, actually the Samsung Odyssey only cost 249,99 US dollars. I think it would be a better choice for a VR beginner than the Rift S, offering better lenses, better FOV, and for less money. No doubt, I reckon.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/hm ... zaa-hc1us/

Goodbye and good flights

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:11 pm

pckormic wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:42 pm
My only doubt is if the Pimax 5K XR (OLED Lenses) deserves the extra cost of 200 U.S dollars from the Pimax 5K plus. :?
I hadnt even heard of the XR.

Generally, one of the key advantages of OLED displays is deep blacks. If you play other (dark) games like Elite Dangerous, the difference could be substantial, for condor, deep blacks is pretty useless. Another general advantage of OLEDs is rapid response times. This leads to less smearing/ghosting when moving fast and with high contrasts. Ive not read this is really a problem with the regular 5K, and again, in condor you arent moving as fast as in FPS shooters, there are no bright lasers shooting on a black background, so its probably not worth it for condor either .

TL;DR. If you play other games, find some reviews to help you make up your mind. For space sims, my guess is it could be worth it.
For condor, its almost certainly not going to be worth the extra money.

JBr

Post by JBr » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:22 pm

What would you rather choose? Few months spent with OpenVR implementation or improvements in the area of weather, scoring, AAT support etc.? Personally I'd rather if Condor evolved and improved in other areas than just visuals (especially since this improvement is only for a small -- but very vocal -- group of people). So my choice would be the latter. And I say this as someone who hasn't flown a single "flat screen" flight since December and has to rely on Revive too.

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:55 pm

There is no good answer to that question, especially when we dont know how much time it would require. If fixing the issues with WMR devices could be solved in a couple of hours, I would say thats worth it, more so than AATs, which we can already do. But if it means redoing all the VR code to implement a new API, then yeah, I would also rather see that time spent on improving the weather model.

I will say that adding VR support, although Im sure it was a sizable time investment, does seem to have generated an influx of new condor pilots and made a significant impact on the experience of many existing ones. So I think it was time well spent, and I say that as someone with a loooong list of feature requests and someone who has yet to make up his mind on buying a VR set :).

blacksun

Post by blacksun » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:01 pm

pccoremic,
any idea when samsung will release their headset in europe? Only places I can find them in the uk are selling them at £500+ (approx $650)

pckormic

Post by pckormic » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:41 pm

blacksun wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:01 pm
pccoremic,
any idea when samsung will release their headset in europe? Only places I can find them in the uk are selling them at £500+ (approx $650)
I purchased mine in second hand mobile phone market (wallapop) and paid 350 € for it. Now that the price has down, and the HPReverb it´s coming very soon (end of april) and shurely puts the Odyssey in a secon place, the second hand price has to fall down. Search the second hand web pages, and if you see a HMD that doesn´t sell easy., make an offer, telling all that I stated above. I think you can make a good deal.

Goodbye and good flights

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:56 pm

Something to keep in mind before ordering a rift-S:

Oculus Founder: Rift S Suitable for Only About 70% of Population Due to IPD
https://www.roadtovr.com/palmer-luckey- ... ation-ipd/

Im not sure what the IPD range is on other sets, or even what it is for my own eyes, but it may be a good idea to have mine (/yours) measured before ordering any VR set.

k6chris

Post by k6chris » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:16 pm

janjansen wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:56 pm
Something to keep in mind before ordering a rift-S:

Oculus Founder: Rift S Suitable for Only About 70% of Population Due to IPD
https://www.roadtovr.com/palmer-luckey- ... ation-ipd/

Im not sure what the IPD range is on other sets, or even what it is for my own eyes, but it may be a good idea to have mine (/yours) measured before ordering any VR set.
https://www.zennioptical.com/measuring-pd-infographic

Mas

Post by Mas » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:35 am

. As as far as I know Digital IPD ( which the Rift S uses ) moves the L and R images on the single screen to simulate moving single screens and the lens design with a large exit pupil permit this . The much touted `Reverb' by HP also has 'digital IPD' adjust to go along with its 2K per eye screens and thats on a $600 USD headset .

The Rift S uses GO lenses and screens . I can report that they are incredibly forgiving . There is no digital IPD on GO which is optimised for 64mm. My IPD is 70mm and I use it for hours without any eyestrain . There is a slight distortion at the edge of the field compared to RIft but you wouldn't notice it unless looking .

Most importantly no-one at GSC conference who has used it short or long has reported any issues with the thing optically - nothing but praise for the optics and screens aprt from black level. . So I 'd suggest its really well down on the scale of things to worry about :) I'll miss the very deep blacks- but you only notice it missing when the whole field is black . In GO - if you have a black object in a sea of light it looks absolutely jet black .

I'm excited for the new Rift and I believe Oculus would have evaluated the quality of the view for people with extreme IPD and made a call on it - my experience with GO suggests that its not going to be any great issue .