Rift S 1440P

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Al_B

Rift S 1440P

Post by Al_B » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:39 pm

Oculus Rift S Is Official: 1440p LCD, Better Lenses, 5 Camera Inside-Out Tracking, Halo Strap, $399

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-official/
Gravity never loses. The best you can hope for is a draw.

k6chris

Re: Rift S 1440P

Post by k6chris » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:45 pm

80 Hz refresh rate (vs 90 for Rift) - not sure how that will impact Condor??

Al_B

Post by Al_B » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:27 pm

k6chris wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:45 pm
80 Hz refresh rate (vs 90 for Rift) - not sure how that will impact Condor??
Exactly. Need real world comparison, in flt sims, between CV1 and Rift S.
Gravity never loses. The best you can hope for is a draw.

Mas

Post by Mas » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:47 am

It uses the same lenses and screen as the Oculus Go but with now 3 rather than 2 sub-pixels which will reduce the 'screen door 'effect even further . With 60% more pixels than Oculus CV1 the application of super-sampling will really increase the resolution . I have an Oculus Go as well and was only thinking the other day that if Rift v1.5 had at least the GO optics and screen it would be a good step up. I expect it will be all discounted too $299 by the end of the year so should bring loads more new people into the VR world.

The inside out tracking will make it much easier to have a portable or at least low impact VR setup . Just plug in your VR and go - no external cameras and their cables. i think its a great step forward to popularize VR though of course all the VR purists and fanboys on Oculus Reddit tare having a `melt-down' that the screens are as not high spec as the portable stand alone `QUEST' also being released at the same price .

sisu1a

Post by sisu1a » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:23 am

A strange blend of upgrades, sidegrades, and downgrades. Probably not worth it if you already have a Rift but a no brainer if you haven't already picked up an hmd and want one you can count of being really good.

For me the HP Reverb was the most exciting VR news to come out of GDC this week. https://uploadvr.com/hp-reverb-vr-4k-599/
It's HP's followup headset with 2160x2160 per eye, 114deg fov, inside out tracking, very light weight, identical form factor to CV1 in what appears set to be the new flagship of WMR.

Resolution comparison for reference:

Rift CV1 1.296m pixels per eye

Rift S/Go - 1.843 (more subpixles though)

Quest 2.304 (odessey and vive pro are here)

Reverb 4.665 (also more subpixles)

edit: small correction, plus should mention to keep an eye out for Vive Cosmos announcements next week, it might end up the best of the lot

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:28 am

For condor pilots, WMR devices have the problem of not allowing any supersampling. Admittedly the increased resolution of the HP set makes this less of an issue, but the HP set without SS may not look much better than a Rift S with high super sampling (again, in condor and at least with current software).

Im also disappointed in the FoV of all those new devices. It seems manufacturers are much more focused on reducing the screen door effect. I guess this is understandable. Most traditional games are not played with triple monitors or headtrackers, because you dont need that wide FoV. For flight sims, thats a different story.

I guess we will have to wait for eye tracking + foveated rendering to become affordable, before most manufacturers will think its worth incorporating ultra high resolution panels and increase the FoV without increasing the screendoor effect (and without increasing GPU requirements beyond whats reasonable for AA games).

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:18 am

I shall sell my Rift and get the newer one I think. Good for testing :)
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Mas

Post by Mas » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:01 am

I was comparing my Rift and Go together this morning - the much less screendoor and increased resolution on the GO make it a no brainer upgrade to rift S . Go only renders 1200 X 1200 being a mobile device so i would expect a significant resolution gain again with the Rift using Super -sampling .

Theres always a lot more to the visual impression for a user , than just specs . Apparently the designed for VR RGB LED screens have very low persistance - John Carmack the Oculus software guru said publicly that the new mobile Quest would have got the same screens and optics as Rift S /GO , over the 1600 X 1440 Oleds , if it hadn't been so far in its production . I have seen some reviewers say they actually prefer the look of the rift S screens over the Quest . I will buy a Quest for the deep blacks as i love watching movies in VR , but the higher resolution and high pixel fill factor of RGB and the lack of those pesky cameras will make Rift S a sure purchase and i will sell my Rift CV1.

Rift S was surely made to be discounted and fuss free entry level to really try and grow the VR market - can only be a great thing .

sisu1a wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:23 am
A strange blend of upgrades, sidegrades, and downgrades. Probably not worth it if you already have a Rift but a no brainer if you haven't already picked up an hmd and want one you can count of being really good.

For me the HP Reverb was the most exciting VR news to come out of GDC this week. https://uploadvr.com/hp-reverb-vr-4k-599/
It's HP's followup headset with 2160x2160 per eye, 114deg fov, inside out tracking, very light weight, identical form factor to CV1 in what appears set to be the new flagship of WMR.

Resolution comparison for reference:

Rift CV1 1.296m pixels per eye

Rift S/Go - 1.843 (more subpixles though)

Quest 2.304 (odessey and vive pro are here)

Reverb 4.665 (also more subpixles)

edit: small correction, plus should mention to keep an eye out for Vive Cosmos announcements next week, it might end up the best of the lot

Mas

Post by Mas » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:06 am

janjansen wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:28 am

Im also disappointed in the FoV of all those new devices. It seems manufacturers are much more focused on reducing the screen door effect. I guess this is understandable. Most traditional games are not played with triple monitors or headtrackers, because you dont need that wide FoV. For flight sims, thats a different story.

You can do a lot on the user end to help there .

I got a second facial interface with my own custom thinner facial foam fitted and added a soft `vr cover ' over the top. Got disposable contacts for long sessions which open out my FOV and I do the straps up that bit tighter immediately gives me an extra 10% .

In my experience if you take extra measures and experiemnent to maximise it , the FOV currently is not and issue , for me its quite good enough for incredible immersion. Already VR has made the Condor soaring experience a whole new ball-game . Now if only I could solve my dead MS-FFB2 stick...

pckormic

Post by pckormic » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:33 pm

janjansen wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:28 am
For condor pilots, WMR devices have the problem of not allowing any supersampling. Admittedly the increased resolution of the HP set makes this less of an issue, but the HP set without SS may not look much better than a Rift S with high super sampling (again, in condor and at least with current software).
Hi, Everybody.

I totally agree with janjansen, I think the new HP Reverb, with his 2160 x 2160 , 90 Hz and 114º FOV lenses it´s the affordable consumer top HMD right now, together with the Pimax 5k, 2560 x 1440, 90 Hz, 200º FOV, more or less in the same price, but needing 300 US dollars in controller and base stations for tracking.

The Rift S option it´s a clear message from Facebook´s owner, letting go the PC VR market, offering a VR helmet with the same LCD panels of the Oculus Go, (1280 x 1280, but with 80 Hz instead of the 72 Hz of the Oculus Go paneles, and I suspect that the FOV would be close to the 84 to 86º of the Go, but AT THE SAME PRICE than the Quest, wich offers 1440 x 1600 , 72 Hz and its standalone, with the snapdragon 835 chip inside, instead of NOTHING that the Oculus S wears inside (the display is moved by the graphic card of your pc instead)

The main trouble of the Windows Mixed Reality HMD based, like the Samsung Odyssey and the future HP Reverb to work fine in Condor 2 is the lack of Condor 2 support: the REVIVE OPTION doesn´t work fine, so you can´t optimise the HMD to do it´s best in this simulator, a real pity, due to the really low needs of pc CPU and GPU power, in comparison with other sims like DCS or IL2 Battle of Stalingrad, for example.

However, the Samsung Odyssey, for example, works really fine both in DCS and IL2 Bos, and I can say it for my own example, I have the Rift and the Odyssey, and I use the Odyssey with DCS and IL2, and you can really appreciate a litte improvement both in clarity and FOV, but I have to switch to Rift if i want to fly with Condor 2.

But there´s a Oculus november update that really could improve a lot the Windows Mixex Reality VR helmets compability with Condor 2, of course, if the developers could use this new tool to a better compability of the WMR with Condor 2,

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/novem ... -updates-/

I think that, now the the Oculus Rift S has the same or even poor specs than the Rift, if anybody purchasing a new Helmet, could chhose the "cheap" Oculus S option, but in that case, the Condor 2 software doesn´t need to be improved, BUT:

If you want to jump to a better helmet from an older one, let´s say a Odyssey, or HP Reverb, Condor 2 designers MUST improve the way WMR helmets connects with Condor 2. I think the potencial for the next future is HUGE.

Windows Mixed Reality actual and future owner would appreciate a lot if this can be done (including myself)

Goodbye and good flights

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:16 pm

Youve linked that before, but all I see is oculus integration for Unity and Unreal engines. Neither of which condor uses, and I fail to see how this would help WMR owners?

pckormic

Post by pckormic » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:20 pm

janjansen wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:16 pm
Youve linked that before, but all I see is oculus integration for Unity and Unreal engines. Neither of which condor uses, and I fail to see how this would help WMR owners?
I read this in a web magazine about VR:

"La 1.35 de Oculus Integration para Unity cuenta ahora también con soporte cruzado para Windows Mixed Reality a través de OpenVR, es decir, que los desarrolladores pueden utilizar la integración de Oculus para crear aplicaciones multiplaforma que sean compatibles con Rift, Vive y Windows MR"

Translated :
"The 1.35 of Oculus Integration for Unity now also has cross-support for Windows Mixed Reality through OpenVR, meaning that developers can use the Oculus integration to create multiplatform applications that are compatible with Rift, Live and Windows MR."

so I reckoned it could be useful to solve the WMR and Condor 2 problem....

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:22 pm

Oculus Integration for Unity

Unity is a game engine:
https://unity.com/

Condor doesnt use it.

Mas

Post by Mas » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:52 am

pckormic wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:33 pm

The Rift S option it´s a clear message from Facebook´s owner, letting go the PC VR market,
Thats being dramatic and its nonsense . The Rift S is aimed at new users who will have a better and simpler experience to set up . Its simplicity will allow it to be discounted way below its current price unlike Rift . I believe we will see a Rift PRO of sorts within the next year to satisfy those happy to pay $800 as the VIV Pro users are .

Its about getting a lot more people into serious PC VR so that developers have a solid user base to invest in better games and make sure multiplayer games are well inhabited . Rift S is not a necessary upgrade for existing users , although the new optics and screen is fantastic and a big step up in resolution to original Rift . ( I have a GO which has same optics and screen as Rift S and i can report the RGB stripe with higher resolution and very low screen door is a huge improvement over my Rift ) Rift S Its a clever move to consolidate a much bigger user base for Oculus

I think Rift S in combination with super sampling to take advantage of the new screens is going to be a no-brainer for Condor 2 users .

Bejeese..I'm sounding like a fanboy there :)

pckormic

Post by pckormic » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:19 pm

janjansen wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:22 pm
Oculus Integration for Unity

Unity is a game engine:
https://unity.com/

Condor doesnt use it.
Thanks for the clarification, janjansen, I really don´t know how the VR implementation works in Condor 2.
I was trying to help in the WMR and Condor2 "right integration", and I don´t really know if the Condor 2 designers are able to fix this problem, or if they cant´´t do anything

But what it´s clear to me is that with the VR market helmets right now, if you own a Rift you shouldn´t go for the Oculus S, even if has a better lenses, but with a narrow FOV, and for that price, you can buy a WMR Samsung Odyssey, that has wider FOV, better lenses and mechanical IPD.
The fact is that WMR VR helmets works fine with the main Flight and Car simulators, like DCS, IL2 Bos, and so.
But if you want to really improve from your old Oculus, and you don´t mind to spend more, you can go for the new HP Reverb with 114º FOV or the Pimax 5K, with a wider 200º FOV.

So, in my humble opinion, if you are new to the VR and want to try Condor2 but you don´t want to spend a lot of money, you can buy a Rift S (works fine with the actual Condor 2 software) or buy a WMR helmet, that offers more clarity AND FOV for the same money. Or try something really better, like HP Reverb , ¿Cosmos?,or Pimax 5k . Think that this sim has the less PC especifications to run smoothly from any other flight sims in the market, so with a really good helmet you don´t need a 2080 or a 1080ti to run the sim. It a really advantage and I think could help in many simmers to have a try on it.

But in many cases, to fly in Condor with an actual HMD VR, it´s a MUST that the Condor Software offer the possibility to take advantage of the new helmets. This could open the market for people that owns or will own in a close future an WMR helmet and want to try Condor, besides other flight sims.

Goodbye and Good flights.