Condor newbie looking for help

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Motor glider pilot

Condor newbie looking for help

Post by Motor glider pilot » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:32 am

Hi friends,
I stopped flying a few years ago and would love to create a realistic sim for use at home. Please come forth with any recommendations for setting up a high end sim using vr, pedals, stick, and anything else available. I’ve only owned macs, but am willing to purchase a windows pc that will be dedicated to the sim. Any and all insights will be gratefully appreciated!
Cheers.

janjansen

Re: Condor newbie looking for help

Post by janjansen » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:41 pm

Joystick: Microsoft Force Feedback 2. You will need to scour ebay and local second hand sites, as they havent been sold for over a decade, but if you are lucky you can find them really cheaply. Dont worry about them being old, they are virtually indestructible , and the ones that go up for sale are probably not used a lot (anyone using them a lot doesnt sell them, if anything, they collect spares).

Rudder pedals: Im not difficult in this, anything works for me, Ive used CH pro pedals and I think they are fine. I, even ok with the FFB2 twist stick. But my brother is very hard to please in this regard and he swears by these: https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=vkb-t-rudders-mk-iv

Hotas; the ffb2 is a little short on buttons, but pretty much any throttle quadrant with some buttons dials and sliders you could add, should remove the need for keyboard while flying VR.

For the PC; dont spend too much on a high end CPU, you wont need it. Any modern cpu from core i3 and up or Ryzen 3 and up will be plenty. Spend the money on the GPU. For VR sets like the rift or vive, from what I read you will want a nvidia 1070GTX / 2060RTX to be able to fly online at 90FPS with most settings maxed out. If you would consider buying a "next gen" VR set like the Pimax 8K, there are no test reports yet, but I would go for a 1080/2070 or more.

No need for more than 8GB ram (though it never hurts). You will want a large SSD to hold all the sceneries. Id go straight for 1TB.

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:01 pm

janjansen wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:41 pm
Hotas; the ffb2 is a little short on buttons, but pretty much any throttle quadrant with some buttons dials and sliders you could add, should remove the need for keyboard while flying VR.
A throttle quadrant is especially welcome for flapped gliders as 2.0.5 now supports an axis for flaps
You can set the trimmer on the FFB2 throttle axis and use a quadrant for airbrakes & flaps.
If you need more buttons, you could also purchase an extra numerical keypad ( ~10-15€/$) ... or, if you are on his side of the big pond, this : viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18638
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

Motor glider pilot

Post by Motor glider pilot » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:12 pm

Cheers for the info!
As for using the Vive pro, is there support in the latest version of condor for trackers and wands, or is it more simply for using as a display?

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:10 pm

There is no support for those things. Even support for the vive itself is only via Revive software.

HornetSk

Post by HornetSk » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:58 am

Hi, I am using this set,

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/produ ... light-pack

it is really good and all in one. Condor 2 support VR direct Oculus Rift CV1 and vith revive Vive too. In VR Condor 2 is really good.