Below Min Specs

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Jtl

Below Min Specs

Post by Jtl » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:51 am

I have been trying to use my Rift VR with Condor2 but I just cannot make it work. After installing the patch for 2.0.5, the setup window shows a message in red under the graphics card info: BELOW MIN SPECS. The Graphics card info is: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 / VIDEO RAM: 3072.0 Mb.

When I check the Oculus Rift box and try to start a free flight I get a pop up error box with the text “Error initializing Direct3D. Check Setup -> Video options.”. I've been playing with the video options but with no results. Currently: Full screen checked / resolution 1920x1080x32 / MSAA supersampling disabled / vertical sync unchecked / Oculus Rift checked / Mirror rendering unchecked.

The Oculus Rift works well with other VR games and Condor 2 also runs well without VR.

I am using a HP Omen laptop with the following configuration:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Memory: 16 GB of RAM
Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

I think my system matches the minimum specifications. Any ideas?

wickid

Re: Below Min Specs

Post by wickid » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:58 am

Force your computer to use the Nvidia card for condor. It now tries to run condor on the integrated Intel graphics card.

Either right click the Condor.exe and select your Nvidiacard or use the Nvidia control panel to always force Condor to use the Nvidia card
PH-1504, KOE

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:03 am

I doubt you will get it to work with a 1050. Minimum for Oculus is 1050 Ti.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

k6chris

Post by k6chris » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:04 pm

You can check your PC using the Oculus tool linked below.

https://ocul.us/compat-tool

Jtl

Post by Jtl » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:02 pm

Thank you all for your replies! I did force the condor.exe to use the Nvidia card and now it works!!!
I just did my first flight in VR. Wow, what a sensation!!!

k6chris

Post by k6chris » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:38 pm

Jtl wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:02 pm
Thank you all for your replies! I did force the condor.exe to use the Nvidia card and now it works!!!
Can you run Condor 2 VR and press shift-D, which will give you the frame rate achieved. Fly for a bit and then update the "frame rate" post, to share with others the performance of the GTX 1050 card. Thanks.

Jtl

Post by Jtl » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:34 pm

k6chris wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:38 pm
Jtl wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:02 pm
Can you run Condor 2 VR and press shift-D, which will give you the frame rate achieved. Fly for a bit and then update the "frame rate" post, to share with others the performance of the GTX 1050 card. Thanks.
Sure! I’ll do that asap.

Mas

Post by Mas » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:27 am

Welcome to Condor VR .If Condor can't run at 90fps reasonably constant the Oculus operating system will switch to 45fps and you may still get some juddering if the GPU can't do that -interesting to see how the 1050 copes . Take note of your scenery detail options too

A really useful tool is Oculus Tray Tool - Google it. It can allow you to force ASW on off or auto and also show you how much GPU overhead you are running average which can really help you to optimist your settings and render resolution . You can also `down sample ' your render resolution - for example render at 0.8X to give better GPU performance on a low end card.

Jtl

Post by Jtl » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:41 am

Mas wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:27 am
Welcome to Condor VR .If Condor can't run at 90fps reasonably constant the Oculus operating system will switch to 45fps and you may still get some juddering if the GPU can't do that -interesting to see how the 1050 copes . Take note of your scenery detail options too

A really useful tool is Oculus Tray Tool - Google it. It can allow you to force ASW on off or auto and also show you how much GPU overhead you are running average which can really help you to optimist your settings and render resolution . You can also `down sample ' your render resolution - for example render at 0.8X to give better GPU performance on a low end card.
Thank you for this information and pointing me to the right direction. I'll set up the OTT later.

I have posted my frame rate and system characteristics in the "frame rate" list. Although I have a low frame rate, below 40, I do not experience any juddering. I must try other scenarios also.

Mas

Post by Mas » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:15 am

Jtl wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:41 am
I have posted my frame rate and system characteristics in the "frame rate" list. Although I have a low frame rate, below 40, I do not experience any juddering. I must try other scenarios also.
Great to hear you are getting good performance so far ! I will lokk for your report in the other thread . I think juddering wasn't the word , more like a sensation of a glitch or skip of a few ms as you swing head in a big pan from one side to the other - like the scenery rendering can't quite keep up . I get them on my 1060 at 90 FPS and they coincide with the `frame drops ' and headroom under runs I see in real time on the performance graph heads up display that is injected by OTT. Even averaging 25% GPU headroom looking straight ahead I can still get big clusters of frame drops occasionally. Highly recommended to run the OTT realtime display so you can correlate any visual glitches you see with lost frames and GPU overhead graphs - really helps you to optimise your settings.

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:12 am

AFAIK that stuttering happens to everyone especially when flying HD texture sceneries, I think its when condor loads the next patches of textures. Running off an ssd or NVME drive reduces the problem a compared to a hdd, but doesnt eliminate it. A similar problem occurs when people join the server, condor tends to freeze for a few moments. I dont think any amount of hardware upgrades will solve that, as I have it when flying with 200+ FPS.

Bruce.McFadden

Post by Bruce.McFadden » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:49 pm

Just for reference.
I am utilizing a desk top PC with a GeForce GTX 960 with an i7 CPU and are under min Oculus spec but the Oculus Rift S is working fine, albeit not at max possible video quality.