Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Kvaari

Re: Windows Mixed Reality Headsets

Post by Kvaari » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:03 pm

pckormic wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:29 pm
Hy everyone

My question is if anyone have tried a Samsung Odyssey HMD in Condor2 VR.

I want to purchase one, but first I would like to know how it works in Condor2 VR.

Thanks.
I had a quick test using Samsung Odyssey. Works fine. I have also had Odyssey+, but sold it. I prefer the original model. Both should work fine.

pckormic

Post by pckormic » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:32 pm

Hi everyone.
Finally I have purchased an Samsumg Odyssey HMD, but I cant manage to install the f*** Oculus Software.
I installed it in the first place, just after install Windows 10 X64 pro, and I could do.

But when I installed all the other software to run the Odyssey, and tried to follow the steps to run Condor, Oculus Software didn´t started.
I tried to delete and tried to install it again, but has been imposible.

Besides, I own an Oculus Rift,and installed Oculus software in my computer without a problem, op. sys windows 7 x64 ayear ago, the Rift working fine.

Now I have formated the same computer and installed Windows 10 X64 pro, and the Oculus software installer download the 5 GB, and when starts to install the software in the same hard drive, and with the same hardware I used in Win 7, stops installing and appears an pop up menu saying there´s a trouble with the installation and i must restart the computer to try again, I even tried to delete everything and try again with no sucess.
I have installed Steam , Steam VR, Windows Mixed Reality for Steam, and I am using too an Samsumg Odyssey HMD, wich works fine.

¿Anybody could help me. please?

Thanks

Mas

Post by Mas » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:58 pm

Best thing to do is to start an Oculus Support Ticket as its a problem over installing Oculus software.

pckormic

Post by pckormic » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:43 am

Thanks for your answer, Mas

I´ve contacted Oculus support, but his response didn´t cleaed much the problem, so I surfed the web, tinkered a lot and this mornig I finally could install and run Oculus software.

But now the problem is that I can´t start Condor in VR, following the steps provided by thorbury:

Besides of Oculus Software, I have installed Steam, Steam VR, Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR, and Revive, with success.

Following the thorbury instructions, I run first Windows Mixed reality portal (I only have to put the HMD and the application "pops up", then start oculus, then start Steam VR (and inside the googles the portal changes to the Steam House, then, I take off the googles , right click on the Revive icon in the tool bar, click "inject" and select the "Condor" start program... and nothing happens. If I put the Helmet on, I still see the "VR steam House"

So I go to the "normal" Condor menú, started the program, go to "Free flight" tab, then to "Start flight" (as I used to do with the Oculus Rift helmet), and pops a window that says:

"Error initializing Direc3D. Check SEtup Video Options
For further deatails, please read condor manual about setting up your hardware."

If I run Condor without VR, the simulator runs ok.

Thanks for your patience and kindness.

Regards

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:03 pm

"Error initializing Direc3D. Check SEtup Video Options
For further deatails, please read condor manual about setting up your hardware."
This is an Oculus install issue too. Other have seen it and cured by reinstalling the Oculus software.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

jsfs

Post by jsfs » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:37 am

OpenVR! :) I would like to use a Windows Mixed Reality headset with Condor and would be able to get other people into it as well, but can't for the complexity reason that pckormic is running into (and some people won't install Revive because of Facebook policies), so I gotta keep beating this drum.

pckormic

Post by pckormic » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:32 pm

Finally, I sucessfully run Condor 2 under Revive with my Samsumg Odyssey HMD. :D :D :D

The problem was I had checked the "Run this program as an Administrator" , in the compability menu, and I don´t know how, but when I unchecked the option, the trouble vanishes.

But now i had a new question: ¿How to improve the graphics setting with Revive?

In Oculus I was using the OTT program, with a supersampling of 1,6 and MSSA in Graphics Options of Condor mernu of 4X, and was runnig smooth.

I´ve got a Nvidia 1080 ti OC and I hope I can improve the default graphics of the Odyssey, but I don´t know how.

Thanks for your quick response.

By the way, I want to thank the developers for the new "graphic scale" slider :D

Mas

Post by Mas » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:53 pm

Hi I'm glad you are getting it working now ! Its often something quite minor.

Theres been other discussion about this here and there in other threads here - essentially you are using WMR via Steam compatibility and Condor via Revive with Oculus service running in the background . I'm not sure if i have seen a solution yet So the issue is how can you run supersampling or MSAA with a WMR via revive ?

The first thing that springs to mind for the future would be a supersampling option from within Condor .

Reddit is always a great source for reaching people with similar problems and hopefully solutions .

I would try posting your problem as a generic issue `how can I enable super-sampling via revive with WMR' on Oculus , WMR, Vive and Revive reddit sites - hopefully you'll find a solution and can report back here ?

I read somewhere that via Oculus runtime you need to have something like 1.6X SS to exploit the native resolution of the Samsung Odyssey ? I'm assuming that you have tried setting the SS option within Steam VR settings ? It sounds like you are running Steam VR if it is taking you into Steam VR home within the headset. to access Steam VR settings you need to go on to the desktop. Right click the box that shows your headset and controllers active icons and follow the settings menu there to super sampling slider .

sisu1a

Post by sisu1a » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:22 pm

Might be able to get control of the supersampling via Oculus Tray Tool

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/ ... _advanced/

pckormic

Post by pckormic » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:13 am

Hi everybody again

This weekend I have been trying to improve the Condor graphics in VR, for the Samsumg Odyssey HMD, in every way I had read in the web post, but with no success.

I have tried every single supersampling scale from the Steam VR menu, taking it to the far right of the slider (500% I think) but there hasn´t been any impact over the simulator. Even I have tried with a couple of supersampling sliders simultaneously, no effect.

I have tried then with the Oculus Tray Tool, and Oculus Debug tool. I had set the supersampling value to the 2.5, the maximum of the scale, with no effect too.

However, If I use the Oculus rift HMD, the OTT works fine, I can set ithe sumpersampling to 1,6 and MSSA to 4X. If I rise the SS to 1,7 the frame rate drops below the 45 fps sometimes.

I reckon the program that rules the supersampling here is Revive, but I can´t find any way to change the supersampling values in this application.

In the SteamVR applications menu, doesn´t appears the Supersampling slider bar, so you can´t try anything by this means.

I hope somebody has the clue to improve the Graphics option in Revive for Condor, and tell us how to do it.... :shock:

AlexH

Post by AlexH » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:03 pm

I just tried the Lenovo Explorer Windows Mixed Reality Headset with Condor and it worked without any issues. I have used the HTC Vive before but I had eye strain using VR for longer than 30min. I do like the VR just not great for the longer session with contest flying in Condor. So I sold the Vive and got this Explorer for well under £200 to enjoy VR games like Beat Saber.
When I sold the Vive I uninstalled most VR software on my computer. I re-installed when this headset was delivered. No issues to install Oculus software, revive etc. No change really how to start Condor compared to the Vive headset (Start Steam VR, go to Revive in the tray, select inject, select Condor.exe, select Condor setup as per Condor manual with MSAA disabled).
Sweet-spot for the headset in marginally smaller than the Vive but overall pictures is slightly sharper. If you want to try Condor in VR I would recommend to get a WMR headset. Ideally get the Samsung Odyssey or this Explorer is not too bad either. These WMR headset are much easier to setup, no base stations quite a bit cheaper while having higher resolution! Same minor faff having to use Revive but that is not too bad. Recommended!

pckormic

Post by pckormic » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:22 am

If someone is interested in my review, I have tested Oculus Rift CV1 and Samsumg Odyssey HMD.
Of course, all thast is said below it´s my humble opinion, based in a week experience test with both Helmets. I don´t have any commercial relationship with Rift or Samsumg companies.

In spite of the better Odysey resolution, the sweet spot its clearly smaller than Rift one.
If you look ahead with the Odyssey´s googles and you down your eyes to see the instruments, they look blurrier than Rift.
Another negative fhing of the Odyssey, I haven´t been able to improve the resolution, it seems that any way to improve doesn´t work, in Condor 2

But the main negative claim against the Odyssey it´s the "micro stutter" I have experienced in any flight in the Condor 2 sim. I have now understand what people complaints about the "dizziness" and nausea feeling. I have experienced in Condor with this Googles .

I have flown with the Rift for two and a half hours with no fatigue, but only fifteen minutes with the Odyssey and I felt sick.

However, I have tried another sims, like DCS (UH-1 Huey, Super Sabre, F5...) and IL2 BOS (Me -109. FW 190...) and the Odyssey performs better than the Rift. Easy to improve, no sick in long flights. I prefer the Odyssey, I don´t mind the narrower sweet spot.

Another inconvenience of the Odyssey it´s that it feels heavier than the Rift for long times, the plastic face joint and the absence of any opening in the helmet makes the fresnel lenses mist up sooner than the Rift.

In conclusion, I think that the poor performing of the Odyssey in Condor 2 it´s due to a bad software integration, because the VR implementation has been designed for the Rift, but if the designers "open" the VR implementation for devices like the WMR Headsets like the Odyssey, I think that could be a better HMD than the Rift in the Condor 2 sim.

Goodbye and good flights
Last edited by pckormic on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

h.kreso

Post by h.kreso » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:06 am

pckormic wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:22 am
If someone is interested in my review, I have tested Oculus Rift CV1 and Samsumg Odyssey HMD.
Hi all!

Odyssey or Odyssey plus?

tnx

pckormic

Post by pckormic » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:12 am

h.kreso wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:06 am
pckormic wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:22 am
Hi all!

Odyssey or Odyssey plus?

tnx
Odyssey "no plus", the first one. I bought it second hand in Spain.
All the reviews of the Odyssey + says the old one it´s better than the Odyssey plus, so I purchased the oldest model.

Regards

jsfs

Post by jsfs » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:58 am

Happy with first Odyssey (though haven't tried it with Condor because waiting on Condor OpenVR implementation) in other sims/apps. In general, until CPU/GPU hardware catches up with high resolution HMDs and most rendering sims/apps optimize like Condor does, first Odyssey is all you need.