Windows Mixed Reality Headsets

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

thorbury

Windows Mixed Reality Headsets

Post by thorbury » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:36 pm

Can I just add my thanks to the developers for releasing this version: the addition of VR in Condor is just as much of a step change in realism as I'd hoped. The ability to glance sideways makes such a difference in so many scenarios: flying a good circuit; checking wings level during a winch launch; watching the cloud above you while thermalling; ridge flying. It's also been very well implemented with lots of nice touches - the altimeter dials are at slightly different depths within the instrument, for example - and seeing sunlight flood the cockit when you fly out from under the shadow of a cloud was an unexpected pleasure!

In case it helps anyone else wondering about setups, I am using a Windows Mixed Reality headset (Acer, cost £200) and it works fine although it's a bit involved to get everything started. I start the Mixed Reality Portal, Oculus, SteamVR, then Revive. Right-click on the Revive toolbar icon, choose "Inject..." and select the Condor executable. I had to turn off MSAA supersampling in the graphics setup, otherwise I was just getting a black screen.

This is on a 8GB, Core i5-8400, 2.8GHz machine with a 3GB GTX1060 graphics card. Condor runs very smoothly.

With a WMR headset, the dials and the PDA are sharp enough to read without any great problem. However, I understand that these headsets are generally higher resolution (1440x1440) than original Oculus and Vive (around 1080x1200 I think?) which might make a difference.

I do have one small issue which I suspect is a bug: everything in VR is a bit too small in 3D. It's hard to explain, but the cockpit is too small, the DV panel is tiny and it's as if my head is on the body of a smaller person - I'd guess about 30% too small. The wingspans of the gliders aren't big enough - the Duo Discus wingtip is closer than a normal 15m glider would be for example. It's quite disconcerting and I do wonder whether it might be related to the higher resolution of the WMR headset compared to the Oculus, although this is only a guess. For reference, other similar games with cockpits (DCS World, Elite Dangerous) do not have this issue with my setup.

I wonder if anyone else has used Condor in VR with a WMR headset and has this issue - I do realise that WMR headsets are quite rare, although I'm very happy with mine. If the developers want to get in touch to discuss this, or need any more informaiton, I'm very happy to help.

My thanks again for releasing this version, it's great to see such support from the developers.

k6chris

Re: Windows Mixed Reality Headsets

Post by k6chris » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:40 pm

thorbury wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:36 pm
Can I just add my thanks to the developers for releasing this version: the addition of VR in Condor is just as much of a step change in realism as I'd hoped. The ability to glance sideways makes such a difference in so many scenarios: flying a good circuit; checking wings level during a winch launch; watching the cloud above you while thermalling; ridge flying. It's also been very well implemented with lots of nice touches - the altimeter dials are at slightly different depths within the instrument, for example - and seeing sunlight flood the cockit when you fly out from under the shadow of a cloud was an unexpected pleasure!

In case it helps anyone else wondering about setups, I am using a Windows Mixed Reality headset (Acer, cost £200) and it works fine although it's a bit involved to get everything started. I start the Mixed Reality Portal, Oculus, SteamVR, then Revive. Right-click on the Revive toolbar icon, choose "Inject..." and select the Condor executable. I had to turn off MSAA supersampling in the graphics setup, otherwise I was just getting a black screen.

This is on a 8GB, Core i5-8400, 2.8GHz machine with a 3GB GTX1060 graphics card. Condor runs very smoothly.

With a WMR headset, the dials and the PDA are sharp enough to read without any great problem. However, I understand that these headsets are generally higher resolution (1440x1440) than original Oculus and Vive (around 1080x1200 I think?) which might make a difference.

I do have one small issue which I suspect is a bug: everything in VR is a bit too small in 3D. It's hard to explain, but the cockpit is too small, the DV panel is tiny and it's as if my head is on the body of a smaller person - I'd guess about 30% too small. The wingspans of the gliders aren't big enough - the Duo Discus wingtip is closer than a normal 15m glider would be for example. It's quite disconcerting and I do wonder whether it might be related to the higher resolution of the WMR headset compared to the Oculus, although this is only a guess. For reference, other similar games with cockpits (DCS World, Elite Dangerous) do not have this issue with my setup.

I wonder if anyone else has used Condor in VR with a WMR headset and has this issue - I do realise that WMR headsets are quite rare, although I'm very happy with mine. If the developers want to get in touch to discuss this, or need any more informaiton, I'm very happy to help.

My thanks again for releasing this version, it's great to see such support from the developers.

Very interested in finding out more about using a WMR headset, as the Rift I am using is on loan from someone else and you can buy a new Acer WMR for £199 ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Reality-H ... B0763N26PW ) vs £349 for the Rift. A how-to post for WMR would be very much appreciated!

The 'smaller person' issue was something I too noticed using the Rift, it's almost like you are flying a model plane. Not sure if this is something that can be fixed easily by some kind of scaling setting??

Thanks
Chris

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:55 pm

Is there a catch with these WMR devices? At first glance, it seems to have higher resolution displays and seems to do everything a vive/rift does for a lower price. Looking through the specs it seems you do sacrifice a little a FoV, depending on model. And they use LCD rather than OLED, so I assume there may be some motion blurring?

Still, for 200 pound, Im getting tempted.

Lensman

Post by Lensman » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:25 pm

Hmm, strange, everything is 'full size' for me in the RIFT.
Dave Stubbs
reg# UK 2222
Comp# DS

Mas

Post by Mas » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:14 am

Hi guys

I agree on the problem of apparent size of cockpits . What we need is a `world scale ' setting like is in FlyInside FSX. It sodes some sort of virtual interpupil adjustment overide that you can adjust that makes the cockpit look exactly right .

My sensation is that the cockpits and my body look just a little small, no where near as small as Thorbury reports . I found setting my IPD on the RIFT at a much lower than my normal 70 mm helped slightly but not much .

Normally in FSX I set the world scale to 110% for cockpits to look right . I think this is a common problem with VR sims .

Its very important to have the feeling that scale is correct otherwise in time your brain assumes you have eaten something poisnous like a mushroom and may promote nausea to make you throw up. Th eeffect here in Condor is very subtle so i don't think it needs much adjustment .

Perhaps the FLY INside developer can give the Condor devs a quick tutorial on how to introduce world scale in the settings ..

Aerofly FS2 was really bad in this way - I got a refund , but they later introduced a world scale setting for VR and I bought it again.

The fact that different users with different HMD reporting various amount of the problem shows that a variable world scale setting would be great .

And congratulations for getting Condor working in WMVR !

h.kreso

Post by h.kreso » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:10 am

Did anyone try Odyssey Plus?

cyberpanic

Post by cyberpanic » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:13 pm

Thanks for posting how to use WMR hardware in Condor 2 by „injecting“ it with Revive. Once you got familiar with the procedure and remapped all vital functions away from the keyboard and onto the Joystick buttons, it works perfectly.
Anyhow, that way I am on my own again in the Condor world - anyone figured out how to participate in multiplayer sessions using WMR with Revive?

cyberpanic

Post by cyberpanic » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:48 pm

ok, found out by myself ;-)
1. Join a sessions on the Multiplayer portal starts Condor with the corresponding session data
2. Copy the session connect string <IP:Port> from the Join dialog
3. Exit Condor
4. Inject Condor.exe in Revive (as explained in the first post in this thread)
5. Goto the Multiplayer menu in Condor
6. Paste the connection data as copied in 2.

Et voilà!
See you online... :-)

jsfs

Post by jsfs » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:43 am

I have a Samsung Odyssey WMR and prefer it to the HTC Vive I had, so I would recommend it. It has a slightly higher resolution than other WMR HMDs. However, I don't want to install Rift software and use Revive on my simulation machine, so I have not tried it with Condor 2 yet.

thorbury

Post by thorbury » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:35 pm

Having used my Acer WMR headset for a while now with Condor2, I am still very happy with it. I have to turn off MSAA: everything still looks pretty good to me but I haven't experienced Condor2 with a Vive Or Oculus headset so perhaps I'm missing something.

I am getting framerates, reported by Condor2, of 90fps almost all of the time; occasional glitches when it's loading new scenery (but no different to what happens during non-VR flights) and also a few when flying close under complex clouds and looking up at them. Otherwise it is very smooth.

WMR in general has been very simple to set up, with no need of any hardware in the room and it amazes me how straightforward it is in general. Not relevant to Condor2 is that the hand controllers are tracked from the headset via cameras, which generally works very well but fails when your hands are not in front of you. This is normally not a problem, but is a minor niggle when playing Beat Saber - or at least it provides a convenient excuse for my being bad at it.

Overall though, I am very happy with this solution. It's not perfect and it's a bit awkward to set up but for the price it is excellent and I would encourage anyone who has not experienced Condor2 in VR to try to find a way to try it. I wouldn't go back.

jsfs

Post by jsfs » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:48 pm

VR works better with SSAA than MSAA. SSAA renders at a higher resolution than the VR HMD resolution and scales it down. Look for Application Resolution in Steam VR settings in Applications or Video tab.

stefford

Post by stefford » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:58 pm

So its possible to play Condor 2 VR with Anti-Aliasing with a WMR headset? I tried it with the oculus go what gaves me an image full of aliasing. How to set up a anti-aliasing with a WMR headset?

jsfs

Post by jsfs » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:26 am

An OpenVR implementation of Condor would decrease the complexity, but:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/ ... in_revive/

pckormic

Post by pckormic » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:29 pm

Hy everyone

My question is if anyone have tried a Samsung Odyssey HMD in Condor2 VR.

I want to purchase one, but first I would like to know how it works in Condor2 VR.

Thanks.

jsfs

Post by jsfs » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:35 pm

I haven't tried Condor 2 VR with my Samsung Odyssey HMD because I don't want to add Oculus and Revive software to my simulation machine, but I did try the Samsung Odyssey HMD with P3D, which uses OpenVR (SteamVR). Solid head tracking and visuals subject to current limitations of VR. I haven't tried Odyssey+:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... t_odyssey/