Pimax 5k/8K VR set

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

HornetSk

Re: Pimax 5k/8K VR set

Post by HornetSk » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:47 am

After one hour in France Alps, I have only to say: Amazing, wow! this is real VR!

Mas

Post by Mas » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:27 am

HornetSk wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:47 am
After one hour in France Alps, I have only to say: Amazing, wow! this is real VR!
Nice work !

How is the image distortion at the edges at 200 degree I hear about ?

HornetSk

Post by HornetSk » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi, the deformation and distorded picture is there in extreme periphery (i think the lenses are not so ideal there),
I personally prefer Normal FOV - it is really really enough wide, really different from Rift. I am wearing small plus glasses (so +1,5 D) for far vision and the glasses are increasing FOV, which is very good, especially in central part (to the nose). I want fix some + lenses in front of Pimax lenses, this will be more practical than glasses. With glasses picture is really crisp sharp.
Many people are slightly hyperopic (+ diopters) but they dont know it , when you are young you can see too without glasses OK. But such glasses are increasing comfort and FOV in HMD so it is good to know exact real refraction (diopters) of your eyes.
With highest textures, medium distance visibility, photorealistic scenery and 1x superspampling in Pitool my 780Ti is giving approx 72 FPS, when are a lot of trees there so 50 - 45. With 1,2 supersampling picture is better, it is so 50-55 FPS. This is no so bad for so old card, i dont need to buy new card now.
It is only one problem, for start of tracking is needed to move the HMD more than 2m from basestation, then it works too from 50 cm distance.
Generally - Pimax 5k+ is step forward so 50-60% from Rift, but setup is not so easy, you need basestations and controlers..too complicated. Screendoor efect is there (little bit better than Rift) But FOW is really amazing too with Normal setting. But for us - flightsim and VR enthusiasts Pimax 5/8K is a must :-)

Mas

Post by Mas » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:55 am

When you say `basstations + controllers ' - do you mean the lighthouse units ? Do you need Vive wands as well ?
It would be informative if you could give a list of basic needed for pimax setup assuming you start with no accessories .

HornetSk

Post by HornetSk » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:56 pm

Hi it is needed one (better two) lighthouse unit. I have razer hydra as Steam VR controller but It doesnt work in many programs, problem are oculus programs becose the Oculus controllers are not working...but generally Condor 2 and Aerofly FS are working with Pimax 5k+ and one lighthouse.

I backet full set (HMD, lighthouses, controlers ) from Pimax, but now there are available only HMD and I want not to wait. I can then sell the lighthouses. And yes I bought deluxe audio strap for Vive (is possible to use with Pimax). But later will pimax sending such strap too.
This is expensive hobby :-( but to be one from first people with HMD with so wide FOV and Condor is priceless

HornetSk

Post by HornetSk » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:07 pm

Some new info about usage of Pimax 5k+ HMD. Condor san by started direct from Pitool software (after previous import to it). Multiplayer is working - first you start Condor in Pitool, then copy Host adress to window in multiplayer setting and join server. All is OK.
Large FOV is working without distorsion, first is needed in Pitool to switch to LARGE, then save and then quit from Pitool. then start Pitool second time and it is without visible distorsion. The "flight" experience is really better then Oculus Rift, FOV difference is really huge. Big difference is too use of DAS (Deluxe audio strap for Vive), fixation to Pimax was 5 min work, two screws are needed this is all. Removal of HMD from head is far simplier, it is far better, it is worth it, headphones of DAS are working directly from Pimax HMD.
Negatives:screendoor efect is stil there, better than Rift. Some small problem with fogging inside HMD (I am using glasses, glasses are rel.simple to use).
Generally: Pimax 5k+ HMD (for me) is giving to Condor the last icing on the cake!

Mas

Post by Mas » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:27 am

Thats great news re a distortion fix. I belive there is some setting in Pitool that work with some software if switched on to correct distortion.

The screen-door effect in Pimax would be similar to oculus Go which both use RGB matrix and 1440 vertical resolution . makes for very sharp picture but more obvious screen -door effect than pentile matrix . I love the creen on my GO very much .

I read that new Beta version of Pitool has native `brainwarp' re-projection for 45fps and allows fixed foveated rendering if you have an RTX generation card. Both very positive features . I am watching the Pimax for announcement of OLED screens .

Rühmann

Post by Rühmann » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:53 pm

I received my Pimax yesterday! :) It's working , but not with C2.
I startet PiTool, then SteamVR, then Condor2 (which I imported before - in "PiTool My Games").
C2 Settings attached..

Can someone help? Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wickid

Post by wickid » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:30 pm

Is the screen black? In that case, turn off MSAA.
PH-1504, KOE

HornetSk

Post by HornetSk » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:44 pm

I think steam VR is not needed to run...C2 is working as Oculus game, resp. imported standalone game. I think is needed that Oculus software is running or minimally installed.

Rühmann

Post by Rühmann » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:23 pm

When I start C2:
The HMD-screen shows the standard Pimax picture. It's not black.
(On my desktop i see Condor2)

No, Oculus software has (imo) nothing to do with it.

But I have a 3D issue - maybe that´s the reason.
How can i get the rid off it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wickid

Post by wickid » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:25 pm

You need the oculus software.
PH-1504, KOE

Rühmann

Post by Rühmann » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:34 pm

Realy?
Don't get me wrong- I am in 5 Sim-Racing Forums and never read/heart this before .. strange. :)

wickid

Post by wickid » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:37 pm

Condor supports only Oculus rift natively at the moment. All other VR implementations need to go via revive or something similar.

From the manual on the website:

To use Vive with Condor you must use the Revive compatability layer app available from https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive

Installation steps:

Install SteamVR (which Vive users will have anyway)
Install Oculus Home without doing initial setup
Install Revive
Install Condor and copy the content of Revive\Revive folder into Condor folder (x86 and x64 Revive injectors and their related folders)
The first three steps are the usual Revive install routine, unrelated to Condor.

To run Condor 2:

Start SteamVR
In the SteamVR dashboard pick the Revive tab
Drag and drop Condor 2 to ReviveInjector_x64.exe (we have 64bit machine/OS)
Fly
Note: It may be required to set MSAA to zero for Vive.
Where it says Vive I think you can substitute your Primax set as it uses SteamVR as well.

Remember that Condor is written by 2 people in their spare time. They do not have the resources to implement every single VR device as standard.
Last edited by wickid on Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PH-1504, KOE

Rühmann

Post by Rühmann » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:41 pm

Thank you guys, I'll give it a shot!
.. and thanks for the edit!

Anyway, the devs have my bigest respect!
Last edited by Rühmann on Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.