Condor V2 VR and XCSoar question

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

pckormic

Condor V2 VR and XCSoar question

Post by pckormic » Sat May 12, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi everyone

As many of you, I am waiting too for the Condor 2 Virtual Reality "add on".
I´ve got an Oculus Rift CV1, and since I used it for the first time, it is very "disappointing" to turn back to a flat screen.

I really like the Condor1 and Condor 2 sim, I have tried the "Condor 1 VR add on", and it´s really nice. When I fly in my "Real life soaring site", Valencia-Madrid Condor 1 scenery. I can really feel I am there.

But I miss a "feature" that helps a lot to soar like in the real life: to use the XCSoar with my Cell phone, using the same map I use in the real life.
I hope I am not the only one that has the same "trouble" so...

My question is if there´s any chance , or way or whatever to "include" the XCSoar in the VR environment. I know is a freeware program, so I reckon the money or the copyrights should be not a problem.

Goodbye and Goood flights
Last edited by pckormic on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

staylo

Re: Condor V2 VR and XCSoar question

Post by staylo » Mon May 14, 2018 2:56 pm

Interesting problem! It'd actually be quite complex to embed a copy of XCSoar within Condor.

Instead I'd suggest the developers consider implementing a minimal VNC client (program for viewing the screen of other devices) in Condor. The protocol's publically available and in theory simple to implement; basically connect to a VNC server running on the user's device and request periodic screen updates, copying each screen update to a texture in Condor.

The VR representation of the mobile device would be view only and all input would be made on the physical device. Only trick would be remembering exactly where the physical device is, but I'd have thought placing some kind of tactile reference object near one corner of the device should be enough.

DerRabe

Post by DerRabe » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:43 pm

Oh yes,
That would be just perfect - for being able to use the VR for the real training purposes by using of CXSoar in the Winter - off season time...
Otherwise I will just enjoy the 3D-feel of flying. This fun-effect will prevent me from the real Cross-Country training though :| being not able to use my chosen maps and features of the real navigation system which will be applied in the season time.
So, if anyone could imagine to create that feature - I also would be more than happy $ :wink: about it.

Best wishes
DerRabe

folken

Post by folken » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:42 pm

There is an app on steam called "Reality Blender".

https://store.steampowered.com/app/8440 ... y_Blender/

You can choose a certain area which is then filmed by the camera and overlayed on your VR experience.

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/MgzZQZxBDuE

So you could use a seperate xcsoar device (Tablet etc) and mark that as video projection.

Not the best for everything, but its some kind of start.

- Folken

Bluejet

Post by Bluejet » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:41 am

Bump.

Has anyone successfully integrated Reality Blender with Oculus Rift S to just show their external PDA?

Paul A.

blacksun

Post by blacksun » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:43 pm

You can run XCSoar on your PC and have it visible in VR assuming you are using an Oculus Rift.
Only issue is if you have to interact with XCSoar as you cant see the keyboard, but it works ok for me on auto mode.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18998&p=164393#p164393

This method can be used to display anything in your VR world that is visible on the computers desktop, so you should be able to display the output from a webcam/streaming video from your phone/camera.