What about VR

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Shalomar

What about VR

Post by Shalomar » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:52 am

I am interested in gliding sims, but I never want to go back to flying on a two D screen. Any plans to implement Virtual Reality?

jolk

Re: What about VR

Post by jolk » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:43 am

Hi Shalomar,

Same here, difficult to comeback to 2D, unfortunately VR is not supported in V2 :(

Quote :
We had so many things to add, please understand we started years ago on Condor 2.
VR is interesting to us, but it could not make it into 2.0.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Sqeela

Post by Sqeela » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:52 am

+1...will there be a demo I can test with VORPX? Or maybe Daniel Church can make a FlyInside build for Condor 2?

sin

Post by sin » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:49 pm

sim without VR now-it's very-very bad:((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
Win7x64 / Win10x64/ i5-4670K 4.4GHz | 16Гб DDR3 | MSI GTX1080ti GAMING X 11G | РУС(напольник) VKB Gladiator Pro+РУД Gametrix ECS+Пендали BRD-MS1 | Oculus Rift CV1+Touch | KW-901 вибронакидка

Farlander

Post by Farlander » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:11 pm

We have like 3-4 threads about VR now guys, i think it's time to stick to one of them for sharing your thoughts :wink: Forum is still so new that i don't think you'll need to use search to find them..

HaslePat

Post by HaslePat » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:39 pm

Once again I'd like to speak up for VR:

For me the emersion gained with VR makes more than up for all the problems VR still has today - like the rather low resolution (associated with difficulties to read instruments), high system requirements, performance problems, motion sickness (I'm lucky to be quite resilient), expensiveness etc. Especially flying and also racing simulators have one less problem - no locomotion. Therefore they are quite ideal for VR. I do also believe that most of the problems mentioned above will be solved in the next few years and that it will become much more widespread once the prices drop a little bit.

I think for everybody who tried VR in a flight sim where it is properly implemented (such as DCS, which works very well in my opinion), it's very hard to go back to flying on a simple monitor. I don't want to say that a flight sim without VR is worse as such and as the majority of people playing it won't have a VR headset at hand (yet) I see it rather as my problem to being so "fanatic" about VR than the simulators lack of VR support. But having said that I strongly believe that it is the future of any flight simulator.

I'don't know how hard it would be to implement VR natively in Condor 2 but I guess, there would be some effort required and as developers, I probably also wouldn't want to spend that much time on something that only a small portion of the users will be able to profit from. Therefore I suggest that VR support could be sold as a paid extension (for now) - because honestly, If you have the money to buy an expensive VR headset, you should be able to spend a few more bucks on the software side. That approach seems quite fair and reasonable to me. I hope that we will see something like it in the future...

Best regards

Patrik