sailplane rides in the Alps

Moderators: Uros, OXO

flying.islander
Location: Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Galactic Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

sailplane rides in the Alps

Post by flying.islander » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:33 am

Anyone here have any recommendations for a glider club / operation that offers sightseeing sailplane rides in the Alps around either Switzerland or Austria? (though we're open to French or Italian too). My wife and I are planning a trip in October and thought it might be nice to take a tour by air as passengers. I did come across this website https://www.mountain-soaring.com based in Innsbruck, Austria. They're pretty pricey, but I can't seem to find anything else that's advertised, other than a Binggle hotel website that mentions glider rides being available at Mauterndorf airfield also in Austria. I realize most clubs probably aren't set up for offering tours to tourists, but just thought I'd ask on this forum in case anyone had any good suggestions--assuming October isn't too late in the season to fly sailplanes in the Alps.

Thanks in advance.
CN: TXS
TX-ScubaSteve

lordauriel

Re: sailplane rides in the Alps

Post by lordauriel » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:39 pm

where in Austria, can you be more specific?

Clubs never offer pleasure flights on their websites due to a legal problem in Austria where clubs aren't allowed to offer flights for money. However, any club will do this if you write or call them, they just aren't showing it publicly. As I am at the very eastern end of Austria, I won't be much help here :/

flying.islander
Location: Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Galactic Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Post by flying.islander » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:16 am

Thanks for your response lordauriel. Right now, I haven't planned anything specific for touring the Alps... but was considering going to Innsbruck.

Do you recommend any glider clubs in Austria? I was also considering finding a place in Switzerland--not sure if there's any glider clubs that would offer rides within range of points of interest like the Matterhorn.

ebkollgaard

Post by ebkollgaard » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:05 am

Hi, In 2015 I took a sailplane flight with Rene Dousset who flies from Challes airstrip near Chambery, France. He advertises under the name Airmonie and flies a Stemme S10. Trips can be to the top of Mount Blanc or on to the Matterhorn or to the Eiger and the Aletsch Glacier field. I did a long flight, five and a half hours covering 350 miles. He only used the engine on the climb to 16,000 feet and the top of Mount Blanc. The rest of the trip He used thermals to gain the altitude he needed. It was expensive but a fantastic experience.
Regards
Eric

ebkollgaard

Post by ebkollgaard » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:09 am

I forgot to mention if you want a nice place to stay, visit Annecy, a beautiful mountain resort city. That's where Rene lives.
Eric

flying.islander

Post by flying.islander » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:13 am

Thank you Eric, I'll definitely check out his site--sounds like he offers some very cool tours.