Installing Skins

Everything related to developing the new gliders for Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO

TonyF

Installing Skins

Post by TonyF » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:01 pm

I have downloaded a skin pack.
What do I do with it; how do I install?
Regards
Tony
p.s. Have searched to forum.

Colin

Post by Colin » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:10 pm

You need to extract the files if they are compressed into a .zip or .rar, then got to the install directory of Condor (this is often C:\Program Files\Condor), go to the Planes folder, then for each plane which you have a skin for, copy the bitmaps into its respective plane folder in the folder named 'skins'. You can name them what you like but there should always be one with the name of the glider, as this is the default skin.

Handy hint- if there are skins or gliders which you will never use, delete those skins to make the loading of Condor faster. This is especially useful for multiplayer games where Condor has to re-load each time.

Here's a question for the rest of you- can other users see your fancy new sins if they haven't got them themselves? Secondly, I can't use any skins in my version of Condor, I can see and select them in the Flight Planner but then can't see them in the actual game. The wheel etc is also white, and more worryingly I often lack a tailplane :shock: !
Don't Disregard Dangling the Dunlop!

Colin Field G-CJWF 'CJF'

GR

Post by GR » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:50 pm

Since P9, skins doesn't take as much to check as they used to.
Regarding seeing... if other folks do not have the same skin, they will see the default one.
Last but not least, Colin, please remove environment mapping setting in Condor. This should cure your problem.

Colin

Post by Colin » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:52 am

Thanks GR, I knew there must be something like that because it used to work, then I fiddled.... :oops:
Don't Disregard Dangling the Dunlop!

Colin Field G-CJWF 'CJF'

flying.islander
Location: Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Galactic Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

any plans to auto-download other's skins online?

Post by flying.islander » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:26 am

Was just wondering if there were any plans for Condor to let people see other glider skins that are playing on the same server, even when the viewer doesn't have that particular skin? With IL-2 for example, people could join a server with a custom skin, and everyone else on the server would automatically have it downloaded on their machine, so that the custom skin was visible to everyone.
CN: TXS
TX-ScubaSteve

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:06 pm

Already discussed here: http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewtopic.php?t=6844

I'm curious to know how IL-2 does that... What's the size (in KB), format (JPG/PNG/BMP/...) and pixel resolution of these skins? Could you provide one?

Thierry
Please use this button to send me a PM, Forum messaging is too limited.

andreas.kippnick

Post by andreas.kippnick » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:54 am

At CZSK Cup pilots can upload their own skin and web page visitors are able to download skins of other pilots.

2 days ago I have asked the CZSK-Cup makers if I'm allowed to "steal" their idea and provide a upload of skins at the CCC. They agreed and I will add this feature in the next days.

Andreas

Image Image Image Image Image

flying.islander
Location: Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Galactic Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

autoskins

Post by flying.islander » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:19 am

Thanks for the link BOD1. I can see how this can put a large load on servers... one reason why IL-2 servers sometimes excersize the option of disabling custom skins.

The skins on IL-2 come in two sizes 512x512 or 1024x1024, 8 bit BMPs (256 colors), and are 1MB in size for the 1024x1024 skins.

Seems if we started using the PNG format, (after all, I'm a fan of PNG in more ways than one) there could be some bandwidth saved...

In any case... I like your idea Andreas.

Attached is an IL-2 skin I made for the IL2-M3, but in PNG format, since 1MB files are too large to upload to this forum... but, it kind of also shows how much smaller the file can be: 164KB.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CN: TXS
TX-ScubaSteve

kristoffer

Post by kristoffer » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:46 am

To they who still haven`t noticed it here is the best page for downloading(free) skins,tasks,other goodies as pilotskin(give your pilot a better look than the same all booring skin) pda-skins(new pda for the inside of condorplanes, new gauges for the planes and much more on: http://condor.ephemeride.com/ I say this because I have noticed that many still don`t know abaout this brilliant page! Its "perfect" !

:wink: Kristoffer.ds

Pit_R

Post by Pit_R » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:21 am

Downloading skins in IL2 style was discussed before:

http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewtopic.php?t=6844
No matter where you go... There you are...

:::: Please use this envelope
to send me a PM.

Bravo Zulu

Re: Installing Skins

Post by Bravo Zulu » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:38 am

Like Colin, I can see the names of my skins in the drop down menu but I still have the default skin. I also unchecked environmental mapping. what else might I do?