ASH26 - 3DsMax help needed!

Everything related to developing the new gliders for Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO

mosquito

ASH26 - 3DsMax help needed!

Post by mosquito » Sat May 27, 2006 10:47 pm

Hi there!

i had a bit of free time today, and so i decided to practice some 3DsMax again.
I've started on an ASH26(E), which i might complete if i find the time, but this is not sure yet.

However, i've just created the Canopy by making a copy of the fuselage and then cuting out the canoy with "slice plane".
Now i've got the fuselage itself and the canopy as a second object, fitting to the shape of the fuselage.

I would now like to use the canopy-object to cut out a part of the fuselage, with the same shape as the fuselage has atm. Can anybody help me with this? I think there is some possibility to create a shape and then use this shape to cut it out from another object, but i have no idea anymore how to do this :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

desktopsimmer

Post by desktopsimmer » Sat May 27, 2006 10:55 pm

just to understand you a little better, and its been a long time since I last used MAX. You have a canopy object and a fuselage that still has the shape of the canopy, instead of a void?

mosquito

Post by mosquito » Sat May 27, 2006 10:58 pm

desktopsimmer wrote:just to understand you a little better, and its been a long time since I last used MAX. You have a canopy object and a fuselage that still has the shape of the canopy, instead of a void?
correct!

GR

Post by GR » Sun May 28, 2006 9:09 am

I tried to understand what you want to do but I still do not after 10 rereads.
Can you please write w/ steps what you have done and what you want to do?

If you only have single object which has cut canopy line. To separate one from another into a new object, simple select polygons and use detach command on the edit panel to create new object from detached polygons.

mosquito

Post by mosquito » Sun May 28, 2006 9:43 am

Ok, i'll try ;)

I wanted to cut the canopy out of the fuselage. For this reason, i first cloned the whole fuselage, then used the "slice plane" option on the clone to create a line of vertices, according to the line to the canopy-glass. After doing this, i removed all the vertices of the clone-fuselage that are not part of the glass, and so i got a canopy glass with correct dimensions, fitting onto the original fuselage.

Of course the original fuselage does not yet have a cut for the canopy, as you can see on the picture.
My idea was now to use the canopy i've just "created" as a pattern for cutting the same shape into the original fuselage. For this i thought i could extrude the canopy object a bit upwards/downwards. Now i would like to move the extruded canopy a bit downwards, so that it "sits" in the original fuselage and then cut out all parts from the fuselage which are covered by the canopy object.

I hope it's understandable now :lol:, if not i also appreciate any other suggestions to get the canopy cut into the fuselage + create a fitting canopy glass object :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GR

Post by GR » Sun May 28, 2006 10:10 am

This could work, but IMO can result in many problems.
The way I do this, is instead of your canopy, i create a cylinder, move vertices so that I get myself the profile shape of the canopy and do the boolean cut.

Now to use your canopy you already have to cut w/ this procedure, simply extrude canopy sideway so that it mimics attached picture, then do the boolean cut.

Of course when you are done, do not forget to clean the mesh.
Last edited by GR on Sun May 28, 2006 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

mosquito

Post by mosquito » Sun May 28, 2006 10:14 am

perfect, thanks GR! :)

desktopsimmer

Post by desktopsimmer » Sun May 28, 2006 12:22 pm

beat me to it, darn that GR :) he's just too quick on the draw, gunslinger style :)

mosquito

Post by mosquito » Sun May 28, 2006 12:30 pm

it worked great :)

Until now i've only cleaned the fuselage, the canopy-glass still has to be done.
But it looks nice :)

desktopsimmer

Post by desktopsimmer » Sun May 28, 2006 7:14 pm

looking good :)

mosquito

Post by mosquito » Tue May 30, 2006 9:20 am

As the shape of the wing was not completly corret and it also had some errors in it, i made a new version of the wing.
The whole model has got about 1900 polys so far.

Serginho

Post by Serginho » Tue May 30, 2006 9:54 am

Looking real good.

I will have to play dices to chose wich plane to fly first after plane's pack is released. :D
"In life, the more you live, more experience you get. In aviation, the more experience you get, more you live!"

EA

Post by EA » Tue May 30, 2006 10:47 am

I can't wait for those new gliders :D

@Mosquito : once you're done with the ASH-26, if you still have energy and motivation, you could adapt your 3D model to match the new ASG-29... :wink: What would we do without your great work ? :shock:

Btw I'm surprised nobody started a Ventus 2Cx and a DG-808...

Seb

mosquito

Post by mosquito » Tue May 30, 2006 10:52 am

EA wrote:I can't wait for those new gliders :D

@Mosquito : once you're done with the ASH-26, if you still have energy and motivation, you could adapt your 3D model to match the new ASG-29... :wink: What would we do without your great work ? :shock:

Btw I'm surprised nobody started a Ventus 2Cx and a DG-808...

Seb
Well, for creating a ASG29 i think the easiest way would be to modify the current model of the ASW28-18. Add flaps and a few small changes in the shape and the ASG29 is finished ;)

3W

Post by 3W » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:24 am

Hi Mosquito,
Hows the 26 coming on.....!
It looked really great, keep on the good work!

Regards
Ulrik, 3W.
There's no place like cloudbase.