Astir CS Jeans

Everything related to developing the new gliders for Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO

BenFest

Astir CS Jeans

Post by BenFest » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:49 pm

Hi dudes :)

I am currently working on Astir CS Jeans. Most of you might not like him, but I am a little Jeans Astir fan. I flew a lot of flights with him. In my opinion one of the best and cheapest gliders for gliding school.
After I read about modeling for Condor, I decided to get into gmax and try my luck. (Well, that thing is just for fun and to get back some "modeling skills")
Anyway, here is a sneak peak into current work steps. Wings and fuselage are ready right now.
astir Prew.jpg
Hope you like it.
And if you have some tips on modeling for Condor. Please advice.

Thanks and happy landings,
Ben
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ben Fest
D-2701 - BF

BenFest

Re: Astir CS Jeans

Post by BenFest » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:51 pm

Well, finally I am done. I currently have 10835 faces. But I think I have to redo the wings, because the obj importer does not import every object it self. It imports only the vertics and gmax displays it as one object. But that isn't a problem and shall be good for reducing faces. May I can get below 10000.
Anyway, texturing will come soon. I am really bad in creating UVW Maps. I hope it'll work better than I expect.

Here are three screens. (Sorry for grey in grey...)
3.png
2.png
1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ben Fest
D-2701 - BF

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:42 am

You seem to be a fast worker :)

My comments:-

1. There needs to be more polys in the Z axis ( fore-aft ) especially the canopy

2. The fuselage and fin must be one piece.

3. More polys in the instrument panel surround.

4. Look at the PP2 planes for the level of detail required for the exterior.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

BenFest

Post by BenFest » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:17 pm

:D
It was just a short test, how well this works and so on. And I think gmax isn't the right program for doing obj files. I recently found out that 3ds max is free for education use. As a student that is quite awesome. I had a look to blender, and it completly f*cks me up. I don't know why, but all these shortcuts and key commands.

By the way, thanks for reply. That's the only way to get more used to it :-)

1. Ok, it has been made out of a cylinder. I thought that would be the right way to start

2. Just fuselage and fin, does the wings and the elevator have to be a seperate model? (I don't know how the wingflex will work later)

3. The panel is really hard I think. I used the boolean tool, and that produced a lot of unused and unproportinal vertics. I think I have to look for a better way, to get round corners

4. I had a look in Condor. Is there a way to get them into a 3D modeller to have an example?

Thank you very much,
greetings from (today) sunny germany,
Ben

EDIT:
Remodeled the Astir fuselage in 3ds max. I tried to get smoother edges. But now only the fuselage has 12404 faces. Well... :-D That will never fit the guidlines. It is really hard to get a smooth surface and not to much faces. I'll try to figure that out.
Ben Fest
D-2701 - BF

BenFest

Post by BenFest » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:21 am

And another question. If the Fuselage is created out of a cylinder. What is the best way for cutting out the interior?
Ben Fest
D-2701 - BF

BenFest

Post by BenFest » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:16 pm

I've remodeled the Astir in 3ds max. After several attemps with different starting points (like cylinder or spline and so on) I am now quite happy with this result of the outer model. I hope this model fits a bit more your requests OXO. Fuselage and fin are two parts, because I want to mirror the fuselage later on and I am not quite sure if this will aswell work for the fin. We'll see later.
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
Now I need tips on modeling the interior. I am really stucked at this point. The seat modeling seems hard in my eyes and I don't know how to start. Maybe anyone has some advice :-)

Thanks, Ben
Ben Fest
D-2701 - BF

BenFest

Post by BenFest » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:56 am

Ok, finally I get what I wanted. Even the Cockpit modeling worked nice this time. Some parts have to be fixed. The finished model now counts around 9500 triangels in the LOD0 version. I am really impressed it comes out below 10000. I just modeled without having a look to the triangles statistic :roll:

Well here are some pictures.
Fertig1.jpg
Fertig2.jpg
Fertig3.jpg
Greetings and happy landings,
Ben
Ben Fest
D-2701 - BF