Club Class Plane Pack Development thread

Everything related to developing the new gliders for Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO

Olympia

Re: Club Class Plane Pack Development thread

Post by Olympia » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:15 pm

Allowing for the temperamental British weather it should come as no surprise that the plastic bathtubs are sometimes beaten by the wooden wonders. The superior climbing ability of a Libelle might under the right conditions compensate for the lack of penetration. There are a lot of days when I would rather be in an Oly 463 than many a more sophisticated plane. If you have never flown a good wooden glider you just haven't lived.
Old wooden ship pilot
Reg No. 464 (LLC 377)
CN: AW

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:39 pm

peppers_machine wrote:Absolutely right Binky9.

This is from a UK article in 2009, "Andy Davis won the HusBos Midland Regionals flying a Libelle loaned to him by Jon Meyer who came second in a DG505M Orion flying with Rachel Hine. Matt Davis came a well flown third in a Std Cirrus. Fourth was Paul Crabb (Ventus 2ax) and Fifth was David Booth (LS8)"

Wish I could get my RL Libelle to go like that!
But of course the regionals are a handicapped competition, so it isn't surprising that a brilliant pilot with poorer equipment can beat less able ones in the latest glass wonder.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

MrTumnus

Post by MrTumnus » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:46 pm

OXO wrote:

This is from a UK article in 2009, "Andy Davis won the HusBos Midland Regionals flying a Libelle loaned to him by Jon Meyer who came second in a DG505M Orion flying with Rachel Hine. Matt Davis came a well flown third in a Std Cirrus. Fourth was Paul Crabb (Ventus 2ax) and Fifth was David Booth (LS8)"

But of course the regionals are a handicapped competition, so it isn't surprising that a brilliant pilot with poorer equipment can beat less able ones in the latest glass wonder.
Similar thing in the Open Class, where ships like the ASG-29 are beggining to win on handicap.

binky9

Post by binky9 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:19 pm

OXO wrote:

At the 2003 US Nationals, Tim McCallister in the Libelle he later sold to me, won the Standard Class Championship. I had to sell it in 2009, when an eye problem grounded me. :(

It sure is nice to be able to fly one, again, in Condor.

binky9

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:39 pm

MrTumnus wrote:
OXO wrote:

Similar thing in the Open Class, where ships like the ASG-29 are beggining to win on handicap.
I thought open class was not handicapped?
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:42 pm

binky9 wrote:
OXO wrote:

At the 2003 US Nationals, Tim McCallister in the Libelle he later sold to me, won the Standard Class Championship. I had to sell it in 2009, when an eye problem grounded me. :(

It sure is nice to be able to fly one, again, in Condor.

binky9
We are really pleased to have helped you. Have you made yourself a libelle skin like your rl glider?
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

peppers_machine

Post by peppers_machine » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:14 pm

I have Chris. The outside now looks smart. It has the G- reg on it and the Condor CN on the fin.

I wish the inside of my RL Libelle was as smart as the Condor one though. It still has the 'no covering' inside and, if the sun is in the right direction, it shows through the glass with an opaque brown colour. The panel is a bit old looking too, but it works!

If I could find out how to attach a pic. to these emails I'd put some up.
TonyL

Reg: G-DCYG
Comp No: TL3

MrTumnus

Post by MrTumnus » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:55 pm

OXO wrote:
I thought open class was not handicapped?
Come to think of it, no nationals comps are handicapped, but still kind of an example of the diversifying of glider types flying in each class.

Love2Fly

Post by Love2Fly » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:16 am

At some regional competitions, they name open class for all type of gliders. (open for all gliders)

At the bigger competitions, open class is for the big plastic ships.. the ones with the long wings.. ;)

When there are to less open class gliders for one class, the competition director have the option to combine classes. Like the Dutch Nationals in 2010, the 18m class was combined with the open class.. http://www.soaringspot.com/nk_2010/resu ... /day7.html Our Tim were competing in that class..
For the 18m gliders there was a handicap factor of 100, for the open class gliders 105..
Frank Hiemstra - Dutch Gliding Team & GliderTracking.com

S.Berx

Post by S.Berx » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:07 am

Come compete in the smaller competitions in belgium, even more weird in that department (partialy thanks to the dutchmen, those darn hippies :lol: ).
We have three classes:
- Club Class: All gliders with a DAeC index equal to or greater than 98.
- Sport Class: All gliders with a DAeC index equal to or greater than 98.
- SportXPDR Class: All gliders with a DAeC index equal to or greater than 98 and with a transponder on board.

Very cool to compete against everything from discus2ax, ventus2cxM, ash25, nimbus4Dt, andso on in yur little ls4 or libelle...
the cool part is the rare day yu get to kick their asses, most of the time its rowing upstream tho, alltho i dun mind competing with an ls4 in standard class instead off clubclass.
But then again we're belgium 8)
ImageImage

MrTumnus

Post by MrTumnus » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:45 am

At my club's regionals they do it by having the 'A Class' with anything with a handicap of 100+ and 'B Class' with anything less than 100.

TimKuijpers

Post by TimKuijpers » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:41 am

S.Berx wrote: - Club Class: All gliders with a DAeC index equal to or greater than 98.
- Sport Class: All gliders with a DAeC index equal to or greater than 98.
- SportXPDR Class: All gliders with a DAeC index equal to or greater than 98 and with a transponder on board.
So Sport and Club are the same? And if you have a glider with index lower than 98 you can't compete?
Think positive, flaps negative.

S.Berx

Post by S.Berx » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:17 am

oops seems like they messed it up in the rules in english, cuz thats a direct copy/paste from the "official" rules, should be anything less or equal to 98 for club.
so if yur 98 in index you can choose between 3 classes
ImageImage

UWE

Post by UWE » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:28 pm

TimKuijpers wrote:So Sport and Club are the same? And if you have a glider with index lower than 98 you can't compete?
Yes, you can compete with gliders with index lower than 98, BUT with index=98...

TimKuijpers

Post by TimKuijpers » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am

UWE wrote:
TimKuijpers wrote:So Sport and Club are the same? And if you have a glider with index lower than 98 you can't compete?
Yes, you can compete with gliders with index lower than 98, BUT with index=98...
Must have mixed up BGA with DAeC index. In DAeC 98 is indeed very low and hardly anybody will compete with a glider like that.
Think positive, flaps negative.