LS-8 spin behaviour

Everything related to developing the new gliders for Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO

wickid

LS-8 spin behaviour

Post by wickid » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:13 am

I noticed that condors LS-8 (15m) with full water and full aft CoG is nearly unrecoverable from a fully developed spin. I tried all the usual methods (opposite rudder, ailerons neutral elevator neutral or slightly forward, and everything in between).

The only way I found that I could recover (after several attempts) was to pull aft and steer against the rotation with ailerons and rudder, opening the brakes and getting as slow as possible airspeed and rotation speed. Then I closed the airbrakes and shoved the stick forward for airspeed while keeping the rotation speed slow. It would than go trough the vertical and stop spinning and I then could pull out just before Vne.

Is there a better way of getting out of a spin like this. I know that an empty LS-8 in real life is quite easy get out of a spin, I've never flown it with water though.

If something like this would happen in real life I would probably get rid of the seatbelts and try to lean forward to get the CoG forward but in condor this is not possible.
PH-1504, KOE

Love2Fly

Re: LS-8 spin behaviour

Post by Love2Fly » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:43 am

Next to the LS8, a Discus2 with full water is totally unrecovarable from a spin...
Frank Hiemstra - Dutch Gliding Team & GliderTracking.com

ambrozic

Post by ambrozic » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:11 pm

Auto rudder ON :)

wickid

Post by wickid » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:32 pm

Don't need auto-rudder. Its quite easy recovering if you immediately apply the recovery procedure as soon as you stall. I was playing around yesterday with some aerobatics when I found out. I was playing with the CoG to see what would happen with certain manoeuvres. Its just when you get it in a full spin it won't come out again (after 2 or 3 rotations). Haven't tried the discus yet, I usually don't fly that one.
PH-1504, KOE

T.Williamson

Post by T.Williamson » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:43 pm

hi, just tried the spinning behavior of the ls8 and the discus and found that if you apply up elevator and full rudder+aeileron, it comes out after about 4 turns.

janwajan

Post by janwajan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:17 pm

In German it's called "Flachtrudeln" i think Flat-Spinnings works for it too ;)
You have to pull Stick full Aft, Ailerons full in spinning direction and Rudder full against spinning direction. It will need 2-3 Turns, then the Speed increases into green arc and you can smooooth pull to recover from dive.
Your Welcome ;)

Flightbase

Post by Flightbase » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:34 pm

*You`re

*: Knowing your shit is better then knowing you`re shit.
The first time you'll get a Microsoft product, that doesn't suck, will be the day they start producing vacuum cleaners.

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:45 pm

Don't try this @ home... In your real life cockpit...