LS4 template

Moderators: Uros, OXO, BenFest

DarkSpeed

LS4 template

Post by DarkSpeed » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:24 pm

I am painting my clubs LS4, which works fine with the template.

But i can not find the position to paint:
- the inner part of the landing gear door
- the probe (TEK-Düse)

Which parts of the template will paint this parts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JShieck

Re: LS4 template

Post by JShieck » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:48 am

Probe (TEK-Düse) seems to be this:

TEK.png

Inner gear door cant be painted i think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DarkSpeed

Post by DarkSpeed » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:17 pm

Thank you for your answer.

It seem to be more difficult:
The red marked field paints the probe. So far so good.

But it also paints the inner landing gear doors, the rim and inner box of the gear.
All of this parts seems to be one part of the painting field. I tested some variants to find out wich part of the field paints wich part of the plane, but it is too difficult to find out.

The maker of the plane should be able to help out of this problems.
The best thing would be a template, which describes the squares position on the plane.

Edit: with the current status (picture) (upper part of the square in yellow, the rest in grey) paints the long part of the probe in yellow, the short part grey, and the rim, inner gear dorrs also in grey

wickid

Post by wickid » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:42 pm

It looks like this in the UVmap:
LS4template.png
It overlaps with other parts of the glider. Mainly the airbrake arms and the inside parts of the geardoors and some areas on the landinggear. The model was made by Ben Fest. So any changes to this should be requested to him.

It is common for the modelers to group stuff with the same colour like this. I did it as well in my models. We don't have infinite space in the UV maps unfortunately...
PH-1504, KOE

congo

Post by congo » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:01 am

wickid wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:42 pm
We don't have infinite space in the UV maps unfortunately...
Hi wickid.

Your comment here got me wondering why this limitation exists.
Is it simply because of the texture resolution of 2048 x 2048 ?

Can we not expand out to 4096 x 4096 ? Perhaps just for the paint templates ?

Also, I have uploaded skins for multiplayer use at 4096 x 4096 resolution.
Could this cause lag problems in multiplayer where there are multiple different skins at 4k res?
Should I replace them all with 2048 x 2048 textures ?

thanks,
congo

wickid

Post by wickid » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:28 pm

Filesize and loading times.

Skins are only stored locally so it only affects your PC. You can use 4K texures if you wish. But for performance reasons all textures are 2K so older PCs can run Condor without crashing. Some newer planes have 4096 x 2048 textures.

Any space used by small fiddly parts takes resolution away from the fuselage and wing design.
PH-1504, KOE

DarkSpeed

Post by DarkSpeed » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:48 pm

Thanks a lot for the details :)

I am also wondering that the 4k resolution should influence the performance so much.

Nevertheless, with a little work it should be possible to seperate some more parts. In the template is enough "empty" space left.
This would enable to paint the parts wich are more visible (like probe or inner gear doors).

In this case: Would it be possible to work on the template so that some more parts can be painted? Maybe it would be possible to bring this in the next hangar update?

wickid

Post by wickid » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:23 pm

DarkSpeed wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:48 pm
Thanks a lot for the details :)

I am also wondering that the 4k resolution should influence the performance so much.

Nevertheless, with a little work it should be possible to seperate some more parts. In the template is enough "empty" space left.
This would enable to paint the parts wich are more visible (like probe or inner gear doors).

In this case: Would it be possible to work on the template so that some more parts can be painted? Maybe it would be possible to bring this in the next hangar update?
Model is by Ben Fest. You'd have to ask him.

The size restriction is due to limited Vram on some systems. The textures have to be loaded into there to be displayed. Even if the plane is many KM away. If you have 64 different skins loaded it 2 mb vs 4 mb makes a difference...
PH-1504, KOE

JShieck

Post by JShieck » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:29 am

So if there would be a new template, will older repaint keep working right?
Does not look like this for me.... :?