Pegase C101 polar

Moderators: Uros, OXO, BenFest

LFM

Pegase C101 polar

Post by LFM » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:03 pm

Hello,
I would like to thank you in advance for another addition to the Pegase C101 hangar. I would like to ask, but one thing. Pegase has an index of 102, ASW 19-100 and LS4-104. However, the ASW 19 has a better polar than the Pegase from a speed of 130 km / h. this is correct or not when Pegase has a higher index. I would also like to ask what exactly this type is, because there are more types of Pegase C101. Please excuse English, I don't speak here and I used Google Translate.

Bre901

Re: Pegase C101 polar

Post by Bre901 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:48 pm

I never flew the ASW19, but I have flown both the Pegase and LS4

The ASW19 has been optimised for "strong" weather, whereas the Pegase has been optimised for weak European weather (not only southern Alps, but also Northwestern France or UK :wink: ), it climbs very well but the LS4 is known to glide better.

The Pegase is very popular in French clubs, but it is more renowned for its nice low speed behaviour and very efficient airbrakes (meaning it can be flown by unexperienced pilots, just like the LS4) than for its performance.

Nevertheless, you don't need to be a champion to fly a 400-500 km task in good weather (with 60-80 l WB) in Central France

The type of the Condor model is the original one, the 101A

The polars in Condor have been adjusted to match the experimental polars made by Idaflieg and they reflect the trends mentioned above.

The handicap indexes used in Condor have been set by the German Aero-Club (DAeC) using the results of German competitions (meaning that the weather was not bombastic either): https://www.daec.de/fileadmin/user_uplo ... final_.pdf

The issue with Condor competitions is that, more than often, the weather settings are not very realistic, especially with ridge races where one can fly fast even with low performance gliders.

If you look at the 2018 Club-class WGC https://www.soaringspot.com/en_gb/wgc20 ... 7-21/total you will notice that there was only one Pegase running, and that the French team was flying LS4s

I think a good way to check that would be to compare those gliders is a Club-class flatland race North of 48° N, with weak or very weak thermals, not much wind, no ridges and cloud base below 1200m.

For translations, I would recommend using Deepl.com if your language is supported.
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

LFM

Re: Pegase C101 polární

Post by LFM » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:09 pm

Thank you very much for your answer.

Paul_UK

Re: Pegase C101 polar

Post by Paul_UK » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:05 pm

I've been using the Libelle in weaker condition UK 100km tasks and I still don't beat those pesky ASW19. Could just be the problem is the pilot making bad decisions though :lol: I've not set tasks lower than weak for thermal strength yet, sounds like I need to set to very weak!

Maybe I'll see the Pegase start to do well against the ASW19 if flown by others.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

Paul_UK

Re: Pegase C101 polární

Post by Paul_UK » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:33 pm

LFM wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:09 pm
Thank you very much for your answer.
LFM, here is a UK flat land club 100km task I created flying from HusBos and with weaker weather settings https://www.condor-club.eu/showtask/0/?id=16275

Feel free to download and have a try.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....