Flap use on the Ventus from a Ventus Pilot

Moderators: Uros, OXO, BenFest

Sprunga

Flap use on the Ventus from a Ventus Pilot

Post by Sprunga » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:46 am

G'day Guys,

I have been following Adam Woolley on Facebook, we have a mutual friend. He has been flying a lot in Europe and Australia up to and including the world comps. He has a Ventus 2 in Australia and is getting a Ventus 3 soon.

Follow his page here, https://www.facebook.com/W3Racing, it's great to read about what his is up to (when there's no pandemic!!)

So anyway I asked him about the 'L' flap position on the Ventus because there seems to be some confusion about it still. Well for me anyhow. Is is the message that he sent me about using the flap both in real life and in Condor.

That's correct, L is considered for slow flight also.
To get the best out of the Ventus in real life, you have to be active on the flaps when thermalling. The V2a for example is a L thermalling glider in most cases, when it gets rough & broken it's a +2 glider, but pull on L for surges & reduce to +1 for quick recentering.
The Ventus 3 is different, it's not an L or a +2 always thermalling glider. One must actively use both detents in the climb. In fact, I found the best position being +2.5 - its possible that I will cut my own detent on my own V3 when I get it back to AUS after more recent experience & consideration for Australian thermals.
I often land in +2 for the V2a at least, I can't remember what I did for the V3, possibly the same. Landing in +2 on the V2a stops the 'kangaroo', ie, bouncing on landing!
Hope this helps for real life..
Regarding the sim, I think that +2 is as far as you can go for climbing. L feels like it becomes to draggy & doesn't quite simulate real life.

Hope that helps and remember to follow his page!

Cheers Sprunga

quher

Re: Flap use on the Ventus from a Ventus Pilot

Post by quher » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:42 am

Interesting post, thanks for sharing!

Kind regards
Quinten (REA)

Paul_UK

Re: Flap use on the Ventus from a Ventus Pilot

Post by Paul_UK » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:22 pm

I was speaking to someone who flies a JS1 in real life too and they say they thermal in L. To me that also feels too unresponsive / draggy to be efficient in the sim. Sounds similar to the Ventus.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....