Ventus 3 18m flap setting in thermal with MTOW?

Moderators: Uros, OXO, BenFest

lianpu

Ventus 3 18m flap setting in thermal with MTOW?

Post by lianpu » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:05 am

I wonder about the flap setting for thermaling with the Ventus 3 at maximum wing loading. Which flap setting for entering/centering the thermal is best and which one once you are established. I so far used +2 but the necessary speed (115/120 km/h) is way above the airspeed indicator marking for the +2 setting. I could not find a RL flight manual for the new Ventus online to answer that question. Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Christoph

Sprunga

Re: Ventus 3 18m flap setting in thermal with MTOW?

Post by Sprunga » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:27 am

Hi Christoph,

I'm not really the right person to be answering this but I use the 'L' position for thermalling the Ventus. You will find that you can come back to the 100km/h mark with that setting.

I remember many years ago there was a discussion about the 'L' setting on the Ventus 2 in the first version of Condor. Someone then said the L doesn't stand for landing but something else in German which means slow or something like that. I also go by what the position of the flap when L is selected. When you select landing flap on the 29 it obviously looks like it's a Landing flap setting where as the L setting on the Ventus looks more of a normal setting - if that makes sense.

I'm sure someone can come up with a more technical reason but I thought I would just kick it off.

Cheers Sprunga

delta545

Post by delta545 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:45 am

Ventus 2cx Flight Manual says,

Cristian,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wickid

Post by wickid » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:21 am

lianpu wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:05 am
I wonder about the flap setting for thermaling with the Ventus 3 at maximum wing loading. Which flap setting for entering/centering the thermal is best and which one once you are established. I so far used +2 but the necessary speed (115/120 km/h) is way above the airspeed indicator marking for the +2 setting. I could not find a RL flight manual for the new Ventus online to answer that question. Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Christoph
The flaprings in Condor are set for max weight and N=1 (straight and level flight). If you are in a turn the loadfactor increases by 1 over the cosign of the bankangle. At 60 degree bank you have N=2 which increases the speeds by about 40%.

The ASW20 manual available online has a great piece about flying with flaps. The manual starts with it on page 5 to page 11. That explains it beautifully. Ideal speeds for flap settings change when you have bank, pull up into a thermals, push to gain speed or even when you fly into sinking or rising air causing a change in loadfactor due to the inertia of the plane. The ring is just a very rough guide only valid at the straight and level flight case.
PH-1504, KOE

lianpu

Post by lianpu » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:46 pm

Dear Sprunga, Wickid, Delta545,

Thanks a lot for the input. Very helpful!

Best regards

Christoph