Pilatus B4

Moderators: Uros, OXO, BenFest

rohr3dsolutions

Re: Pilatus B4

Post by rohr3dsolutions » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:20 pm

On most images I’ve seen online there seems to be a strake there. It appears to be A extrusion I assumed for the rudder cable or a structural add on to the tail perhaps. It’s easy to remove. And if you can find more pics of your plane I can create your paint scheme as well. Thank you for the cockpit image as well. Any others would be very helpful.

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:05 pm

I'll search for better images the coming days. I can't find them were they should be. :?

In the mean time (Other B4's) :
airliners.net
Cockpit Dash

I see the special detail you made in some other B4's indeed. Never saw it before.

The glider I flew also had a small rod in the vertical stabilizer to be able to pull up the tail and place another wheel underneath the tail for ground traffic. Like this one : https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitle ... Rj2379UjNa

And I think you already know there is more then one version...
WIKI wrote: B4-PC11
permitted to fly a number of aerobatic manoeuvres, it was not permitted to do inverted loops or flick/snap/quick maneuvers. The B4-PC11 was available with either fixed or retractable landing gear.
B4-PC11A
developed to perform inverted loops and was also able to handle higher g-forces.
B4-PC11AF
released in 1975, with full aerobatic capabilities.

2P

Post by 2P » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:02 pm

As far as I know, with many PC-11A versions the stringer was added from the outside to make it fully aerobatic capable. Like the PC-11AF version which already had the reinforcement inside the fuselage.

Looks great :!: :D I think the outer leading edge of the wing should be a bit more backwards and the wingtips should be narrower?
Well, it looks like in the future I will probably even be reminded of my employer in condor... :mrgreen:

For additional infos, i found the following on http://www.lvb-segelkunstflug.de/Pilatus_B4.html
and translated:

The B4-PC11AF is fully aerobatic capable. A B4-PC11A can be converted by:

riveting a reinforcing profile to the rear fuselage (from the outside)

Additions to the manual and modification of the type plate

Later serial numbers were already delivered ex works as B4-PC11AF. Instead of the outer reinforcing profile, an extended stringer inside the fuselage is used by the factory.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 2P on Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick Portmann 2P

rohr3dsolutions

Post by rohr3dsolutions » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:04 pm

Great thanks for the help. This really will clean it up. Have a great Easter and I will send some updates later on.

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:24 pm

2P wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:02 pm
Well, it looks like in the future I will probably even be reminded of my employer in condor... :mrgreen:
You work for Pilatus? At Buochs?
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

rohr3dsolutions

Post by rohr3dsolutions » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:56 pm

So don't be confused by seeing the horizontal at the wrong position, it's because the images for all the 3-Views I've even found have the same problem with the top and front views in an isometric/parallel view with the fuse slightly rotated. In other words it appears to be too far back but is not.

Updated wing tips, canopy, and nose to the drawing you sent for more clean up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2P

Post by 2P » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:57 pm

You work for Pilatus? At Buochs?

Yeah, I've been working there in logistics for six years. I practically grew up with pilatus, because my father worked there for over 40 years.
Patrick Portmann 2P

2P

Post by 2P » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:19 pm

WOW :shock: you are very quick. Looks perfect now. :)
Patrick Portmann 2P

2P

Post by 2P » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:55 am

The club at the airfield where I live nearby had a B4 with a very special finish. It was all in gold with blue/green „chameleon colour“ stripes that changed colour depending on the angle of view.

Unfortunately it was sold to france and crashed spectacularly during an aerobatic flight because one wing broke off :shock: :( . Luckily the pilot was able to jump off with the parachute.
Patrick Portmann 2P

cvvs

Post by cvvs » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:10 pm

Spectacular, indeed, impressive

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:49 pm

rohr3dsolutions wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:56 pm
So don't be confused by seeing the horizontal at the wrong position, it's because the images for all the 3-Views I've even found have the same problem with the top and front views in an isometric/parallel view with the fuse slightly rotated. In other words it appears to be too far back but is not.

Well we never use drawings from modellers because they are almost always wrong..

2P, Patrick, would you be able to get some accurate drawings from your company? ;)
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:13 pm

I still haven't found the higher res versions of my earlier posted pictures of the B4-PC11 #208 from 1974 that I flew as PH-387 in the Netherlands. I found out it is now registered as N484B and is flying in the US... So it has some updates on the dash.
210951Soaring may 6.jpg
242719B4 JPEG.jpg
270076B4 ground.jpg
And I found the specific sounds the metal panels make when they are stressed and unstressed. (Plop, Ploink, Plof, Plomp, Plonk) :lol:
https://youtu.be/Gz_pU5kTNFA?t=252

And the way it sounds when flying by... Like an airliner... :lol:
https://youtu.be/Z6iXvGGjVeI?t=30

Spoilers handle and leftside of the cockpit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kdiv4maGC4

YouTube is full off Acro Vids
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... szmHA3iojf

wickid

Post by wickid » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:27 pm

EDB wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:13 pm
And I found the specific sounds the metal panels make when they are stressed and unstressed. (Plop, Ploink, Plof, Plomp, Plonk) :lol:
https://youtu.be/Gz_pU5kTNFA?t=252
Sounds disconserting :o
PH-1504, KOE

EDB

Post by EDB » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:38 pm

Yes,

The first time you fly it (and we started with winch by default so then when pulling stick to over 4G then you heard it even louder) it was a bit scary... But after a few starts you get used to it and I have never felt safer in any glider then in this armored jet-fighter. You had the feeling that you would survive any mid-air. It also had a static line chute in it...

It's really a special glider. One of a kind...

The only negative is that it didn't want to touch down. It kept on going in ground effect... It just loved flying I guess... :lol:

2P

Post by 2P » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:43 pm

Well we never use drawings from modellers because they are almost always wrong..

2P, Patrick, would you be able to get some accurate drawings from your company? ;)
Ok, i understand, that makes sens. I didn‘t pay attetion where the picture came from. I just wanted to show, what should be corrected. I think this one looks really accurate anyway :wink: .
I try to ask at my company as soon as i‘m back at work, probably next week. Bloody corona virus :evil: had interrupted our logistic and we had to shut down a lot.
Patrick Portmann 2P