Speedindicator when sliping

Moderators: Uros, OXO, BenFest

JShieck

Speedindicator when sliping

Post by JShieck » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:56 pm

The most of us (I hope) are practiced in doing a slip.
So you should hhave noticed that the speedindicator (in Condor) shows while sliping the corract speed.
In real life the speedindicator shows zero or negativ values while sliping, like you know.
It would make me and the other who do from time to time slip to see this is working real. :wink:
Would you like to fix it please? Thanks a lot!

Lenticular

Re: Speedindicator when sliping

Post by Lenticular » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:14 am

+1

I noticed this.

It would also be good to see more distturbances in the vario in turbulence and lift. It's a bit too smooth at the moment (though it does jitter when the aircraft is stalling or on the edge of lift).
G-ZULU /// LTN

wickid

Post by wickid » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:33 am

Lenticular wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:14 am
It would also be good to see more distturbances in the vario in turbulence and lift. It's a bit too smooth at the moment (though it does jitter when the aircraft is stalling or on the edge of lift).
The condor vario has a time constant of 1 second. So it averages over 1 second like a short time integrator. Maybe you are used to a vario with a shorter constant. The standard winter 5 m/s vario has a constant of 1.8 seconds. If I set some moderate or strong turbulence in thermals it dances around like the real vario. I think the turbulence settings in Condor are usually set unrealistically low which doesn't quite show this effect.
PH-1504, KOE

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:21 pm

In real life you don't look at the ASI when you ares side slipping... Only when you come out of a slip. And maybe when you start the slip.

And since VR is supported more and more tasks are getting more and more unrealistic to help those VR pilots to don't get sick...
Last edited by EDB on Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lenticular

Post by Lenticular » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:19 am

wickid wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:33 am
Lenticular wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:14 am
The condor vario has a time constant of 1 second. So it averages over 1 second like a short time integrator. Maybe you are used to a vario with a shorter constant. The standard winter 5 m/s vario has a constant of 1.8 seconds. If I set some moderate or strong turbulence in thermals it dances around like the real vario. I think the turbulence settings in Condor are usually set unrealistically low which doesn't quite show this effect.
Ahh! I haven't tried really high turbulence settings. Thanks!
G-ZULU /// LTN

JShieck

Post by JShieck » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:26 pm

So let's hope the Condorteam will see this post and have time to fix this little issue hopefully with the next update. :wink:

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:40 pm

This won’t be implemented soon.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Lenticular

Post by Lenticular » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:10 am

Just curious: why not?

The ASI reduces approximately by the cosine of the beta (slip) angle.

Similarly, it reduces by the cosine of alpha (angle of attack), which is why when stalling, the ASI usually under-reads vs. the book value. People make the mistake of thinking they have more margin to the stall than the book suggests (YouTube is full of such videos). IT IS NOT TRUE.

They are mis-interpreting the ASI.

Also, a particular pitot/static installation could be experiencing other quirks of aerodynamics, affecting the result.

One glider I fly IRL caused the guy in the back to start screaming at me one day when we were landing. He thought we were too slow. I had some airbrake out, and due to his instruments using different ports to mine it made his ASI read around 8 kts slower than mine! I asked him what he saw and I told him what I had. He was bemused for a while. We did another flight in smooth air, and his under-read by 3 kts when clean.

Needless to say - I got the installation checked out on it. It was fine.
G-ZULU /// LTN

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:51 pm

Our leader has spoken, and this will be included in the next patch.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team