EB29 trim

Moderators: Uros, OXO, BenFest

arneh

EB29 trim

Post by arneh » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:54 pm

I have a problem with the trim of the EB29. In real life the trim is electrical on a little switch on the stick. But in Condor the pilot takes his hand off the stick to use the trim on the right side of the cockpit. For me which has the trim on a stick axis with a worn pot which constantly gives small adjustments it means I lose control of the glider a lot as the pilot has his hand on the right side trim rather than on the stick.

Could you please make him stop using the right side trim, and rather use the electrical trim on the stick so I don't lose control as much? :)

(I realise I should probably get a better joystick, but finding force feedback sticks nowadays is hard).

wickid

Re: EB29 trim

Post by wickid » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:25 pm

arneh wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:54 pm
I have a problem with the trim of the EB29. In real life the trim is electrical on a little switch on the stick. But in Condor the pilot takes his hand off the stick to use the trim on the right side of the cockpit. For me which has the trim on a stick axis with a worn pot which constantly gives small adjustments it means I lose control of the glider a lot as the pilot has his hand on the right side trim rather than on the stick.

Could you please make him stop using the right side trim, and rather use the electrical trim on the stick so I don't lose control as much? :)

(I realise I should probably get a better joystick, but finding force feedback sticks nowadays is hard).
He doesnt use the trim. There is no animation for trimming. Check your trottle axis.
PH-1504, KOE

arneh

Post by arneh » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:31 pm

Ah, it was the throttle!

Thought it was the trim as it seemed to happen mostly when I was trimming (but also when not). But throttle movement I can work around more easily.

Thanks for the help!

MrHerisson

Post by MrHerisson » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:29 pm

Isn't the option "joystick centers with hands off" used for that?

I mean, still being able to move the stick even when the piloting hand is animated!

wickid

Post by wickid » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:35 pm

Yes, but the EB29 has the throttle on the left. So if you have a noisy axis the hand keeps moving off the stick to the throttle constantly and that prevents you from steering.

Stick centers with hands off only keeps you flying trim speed with hands off.
PH-1504, KOE

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:54 pm

wickid wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:35 pm
Yes, but the EB29 has the throttle on the left. So if you have a noisy axis the hand keeps moving off the stick to the throttle constantly and that prevents you from steering.

Throttle on the right actually :D
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

MrHerisson

Post by MrHerisson » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:38 pm

wickid wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:35 pm
Wait a minute...what is this option for at the end....and whose hands are we talking about...

Flying at trim speed with hands off seems to be the very purpose of a trim....so I don't think that is it.

I've been flying a while with it on and now it is off and I really can't say I notice any differences.

wickid

Post by wickid » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:13 pm

If you have stick centres with hands off checked. The stick will jump to the trimmed position when you operate stuff that uses the condor pilots right hand (throttle in the EB29 or water in most planes).

With it unchecked the stick will stay in the position it was when the pilot let go of the stick.

Try trimming all the way forward and fly 100 kph. Then operate something with the right hand. With it checked the plane will nose down. With it unchecked the plane will keep flying about 100 kph.
PH-1504, KOE

MrHerisson

Post by MrHerisson » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:37 am

wickid wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:13 pm
If you have stick centres with hands off checked. The stick will jump to the trimmed position when you operate stuff that uses the condor pilots right hand (throttle in the EB29 or water in most planes).

With it unchecked the stick will stay in the position it was when the pilot let go of the stick.

Try trimming all the way forward and fly 100 kph. Then operate something with the right hand. With it checked the plane will nose down. With it unchecked the plane will keep flying about 100 kph.
That is one clear explanation...Thanks

arneh

Post by arneh » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:45 am

I still think it's a bit brutal losing control of the glider.
In real life if I have to use my right hand for something I will use my left hand for the stick and remain in control.

olevold

Post by olevold » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:25 pm

wickid wrote:

How does the Sidewinder FFB stick work in this respect? It has an optical sensor which disables the motors if you let go of the stick. I know some people cover the sensor to prevent this, but I think it's there for a reason (oscillations etc.)

wickid

Post by wickid » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:03 pm

olevold wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:25 pm
wickid wrote:

How does the Sidewinder FFB stick work in this respect? It has an optical sensor which disables the motors if you let go of the stick. I know some people cover the sensor to prevent this, but I think it's there for a reason (oscillations etc.)
We are talking about the in game stick. Not the joystick you have on your desk. The in game pilot lets go of the stick when you operate right side cockpit controls.
PH-1504, KOE

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:00 pm

If ya stick is bit noisy try setting up a dead zone in the calibration until you get no movement until you actually move ya physical joystick.