ASG29 es engine power

Moderators: Uros, OXO, BenFest

eisenhans

ASG29 es engine power

Post by eisenhans » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:30 pm

Hello,

i gave the ASG29 es a try. I never flew a motorized glider in RL so i cant compare...but
it feels "underpowered" With full water ballast it does not climb anymore.

I also tried to start with the engine on my own. Needed sth like 5km to lift the unballasted plane from the ground.
(I know its not made for that but shouldn't that work with a 1000m runway in RL)?
The plane with full water did not start to move @ all.

The engine is @ 18HP. Is it that underpowerd in RL? I noticed the Lak17at for example has round about 10hp more.

What do u think?

Have a good day

Jan

eisenhans

Re: ASG29 es engine power

Post by eisenhans » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:34 pm

Oh i was wrong with the provided data.....18kw 24hp.

arneh

Post by arneh » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:40 pm

eisenhans wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:30 pm
i gave the ASG29 es a try. I never flew a motorized glider in RL so i cant compare...but
it feels "underpowered" With full water ballast it does not climb anymore.

I also tried to start with the engine on my own. Needed sth like 5km to lift the unballasted plane from the ground.
(I know its not made for that but shouldn't that work with a 1000m runway in RL)?
The plane with full water did not start to move @ all.
I haven't tried the ASG29e, but I have a lot of real life experience with a Discus bT, which uses the same engine, but without the electric starter and a different propeller. Anyway, empty it climbs at a bit over 1 m/s. But put some water ballast in, and it hardly climbs at all. Max allowable weight of the Discus with engine installed is 450 kg, and then it's able to climb at only about 0.5 m/s. A fully ballasted ASG 29 at 600 kg I can well imagine not being able to climb at all. I have talked to owners of ASW-28e, and without water it climbs worse than my Discus.

I have never tried taking off with the engine, but that would need a veeeery long runway.

These engines are not powerful, just barely adequate for unballasted climb.

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:00 pm

On schleicher website they state 1.2 m/s max climb, and thats about what you get in condor at sea level (performance drops further with altitude). Its not impressive, but its only meant to get you home (without ballast)

BTW, you can take off with the asg (empty) in condor, just make sure you have a little bit of a headwind.

eisenhans

Post by eisenhans » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:31 pm

Ok. Ill try it with a little bit of head wind again.
While i tried last time i had some crosswind.

I found this video of a lak17at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x8MhQ66Fl0

Should be round about 28HP and they did it on gras.
Dont know bout the wind...

In Condor i tried it on concrete and started the run with negative flaps to
avoid the drag.

Thx for sharing your experience.

tomr2k

Post by tomr2k » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:18 am

I having the same experience. The DG808 model's throttle works as expected, the ASG29 es does not. I've tried different input sequences ... no luck. Any suggestions?

wickid

Post by wickid » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:50 am

tomr2k wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:18 am
I having the same experience. The DG808 model's throttle works as expected, the ASG29 es does not. I've tried different input sequences ... no luck. Any suggestions?
The ASG29Es is a sustainer. It doesn't have a throttle. The engine always runs at full power. The climbrate is according to the flight manual. It is not certified to take off with.
PH-1504, KOE