Glider Comparison

Moderators: Uros, OXO, BenFest

tiberius

Glider Comparison

Post by tiberius » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:02 pm

Would any of the more experienced Condor 2 pilots be willing to give a comparison of the current gliders?

Particularly in terms of handling, performance and task suitability especially in 15m and 18m classes. I think this would be a great point of reference for us that are less experienced.

Thanks

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: Glider Comparison

Post by EDB » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:18 pm

The wooden planes catch fire much faster and they burn longer...
:wink:

BenFest

Post by BenFest » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:49 pm

EDB wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:18 pm
The wooden planes catch fire much faster and they burn longer...
:wink:
:lol: :lol:

It is always a bit subjective. My personal experience is the following:

In 15m class the Diana is the "top speed" canidate. It glides a bit better at very high speeds as the Ventus. But the Ventus is easier to handle within the thermals and as a result of that, it climbs a bit better as you dont need 130kmh to hold it stable :?

In the 18m class it is not that easy as we are having more planes. The ASG29 has the best polar at high speeds but you need to get used to the flaps settings. If you catch the thermal quite good and don't need to move that much in the thermal you can circle very slow with flaps on 6. Here aswell the Ventus is more easier to handle in the thermals. I heavent flown the JS1 for a long time, but I think it is a mixture of both of the planes.

I of course always prefer the Ventus 3 :wink:
Ben Fest
D-2701 - BF

tiberius

Post by tiberius » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:00 pm

Thanks Ben. What would you say about the Antares in comparison? Always found it the easiest to get the best out of.

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:57 pm

Antares has been "detuned" a little in the most recent patch. Its no longer quite as good as the others. At max wingloading, the ASG is the best now and its also rather easy to fly. The ventus and JS1 are pretty much equal in performance and both inbetween the antares and ASG29. The Ventus does a little better at slow speeds though, it is a good climber (and a joy to fly and look at). But all in all, they are all really close to each other and you would be better off picking a plane because you like flying in it, than because its polar is a tiny fraction of a percent better.