Kestrel

Moderators: Uros, OXO, BenFest

Post Reply
JSchieck
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:34 pm

Kestrel

Post by JSchieck » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:07 pm

Does anyone want to make a Kestrel? 17m or 19m

sisu1a
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: Bay Area, California (USA)

Re: Kestrel

Post by sisu1a » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:51 pm

I would love a Kestrel.. if it's made I hope they do the 17 only because I really like the extended canopy and there are no worries about scratching up the removable center section on the tarmac in Condor :p

Now I want an Open Cirrus too

JShieck
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:08 pm

Re: Kestrel

Post by JShieck » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:01 pm


sisu1a
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: Bay Area, California (USA)

Re: Kestrel

Post by sisu1a » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:15 pm

That's the stuff

User avatar
OXO
Condor Team
Posts: 5862
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:08 am
Contact:

Re: Kestrel

Post by OXO » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:01 am

Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Kestrel_BY
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:15 pm

Re: Kestrel

Post by Kestrel_BY » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:19 pm

Hi, is this going ?

I'm currently restoring a H-401 (the 17m "original" Glassflugel version), so documents/pictures/measurements access should be quite easy :wink: . On top of that I'm certain Streifly would be very happy to help if necessary.

I also have some experience in 3D modelling on Catia V5, SolidWorks and Creo V3, and would be more than happy to lend a hand.

User avatar
OXO
Condor Team
Posts: 5862
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:08 am
Contact:

Re: Kestrel

Post by OXO » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:23 am

If you want to make it please go ahead in Blender!
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Kestrel_BY
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:15 pm

Re: Kestrel

Post by Kestrel_BY » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:19 am

Right, I'll download Blender and see how hard that would be.
If someone wants to help out/introduce me to Blender that would be lovely.

Jan Oorthuijsen
Posts: 413
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: Utrecht (Terwijde) - Holland

Re: Kestrel

Post by Jan Oorthuijsen » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:05 am

You tube video tutorials is the best way.

Blender is not an easy to learn 3D program, but it has so many features that it is definitely worth learning.
Often save in between because it sometimes crashes.
PH-722
WW
It’s Difficult to Soar Like An Eagle
When You’re surrounded By Turkeys

JShieck
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:08 pm

Re: Kestrel

Post by JShieck » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:01 pm

Kestrel_BY wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:19 am
Right, I'll download Blender and see how hard that would be.
If someone wants to help out/introduce me to Blender that would be lovely.
How nice! Already thank you for giving us a light of hope that it will possible to see the Kestrel one day in Condor! :D
Whishing you good luck modelling it.

Kestrel_BY
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:15 pm

Re: Kestrel

Post by Kestrel_BY » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:45 am

Don't have too much hope though, it's going to take me a good while.

Speaking of which, I have a question. The guideline says :
The canopy must be a separate object, and all the cockpit parts which are visible in RL with canopy open/removed should be modelled.
On the Kestrel, the canopy is in 2 parts : one (the front part) is screwed, and isn't supposed to be removed regularily (other than for yearly maintenance, that is). Should I model it appart ?
Additionnally, a piece of the fuselage is removable (held with 2 screws) for rigging, should I also model this bit appart ?

EDIT : also is there a "library" for common things such as handles, instruments, tires (etc...) ?

Jan Oorthuijsen
Posts: 413
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: Utrecht (Terwijde) - Holland

Re: Kestrel

Post by Jan Oorthuijsen » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:28 am

Start with search for bleuprints and make as much detailed photos inside and outside.
All details must look like.
PH-722
WW
It’s Difficult to Soar Like An Eagle
When You’re surrounded By Turkeys

User avatar
wickid
Posts: 1703
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:32 pm
Location: Venlo, NL
Contact:

Re: Kestrel

Post by wickid » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:02 pm

Kestrel_BY wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:45 am
Don't have too much hope though, it's going to take me a good while.

Speaking of which, I have a question. The guideline says :
The canopy must be a separate object, and all the cockpit parts which are visible in RL with canopy open/removed should be modelled.
On the Kestrel, the canopy is in 2 parts : one (the front part) is screwed, and isn't supposed to be removed regularily (other than for yearly maintenance, that is). Should I model it appart ?
Additionnally, a piece of the fuselage is removable (held with 2 screws) for rigging, should I also model this bit appart ?

EDIT : also is there a "library" for common things such as handles, instruments, tires (etc...) ?
The glass part should be a separate part from the fuselage. This is due to only one material being allowed per object.

There are some parts shared between gliders. But 99.9 percent is bespoke. There are very few parts that can be exchanged.
PH-1504, KOE
Image

Kestrel_BY
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:15 pm

Re: Kestrel

Post by Kestrel_BY » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:31 am

Jan Oorthuijsen wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:28 am
Start with search for bleuprints and make as much detailed photos inside and outside.
All details must look like.
I have some from the internet and the "originals" in the flight manual so that's okay. For the details I've been taking pictures of my work so save for some part I haven't touched yet (the under carriage for example), I should have a strong documentation basis to work with.
wickid wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:02 pm
The glass part should be a separate part from the fuselage. This is due to only one material being allowed per object.
Alright so 2 separate parts for the 2 canopies I guess. Thanks for that info.
wickid wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:02 pm
There are some parts shared between gliders. But 99.9 percent is bespoke. There are very few parts that can be exchanged.
Indeed, I was just asking if the "common parts" were available somewhere, even though they aren't that complicated to reproduce.

Post Reply