Sion Airport Parking

Post by Xavier » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:46 pm

New or old assets reworked for Condor 2

Shot1265r.jpg
Airbus A320 & Airbus A320 neo

Shot1276r.jpg

Shot1275r.jpg
ATR 72-600
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*****- Xavier - (XDL - VR FAN) *****

Xavier

Re: Sion Airport Parking

Post by Xavier » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:52 pm

Shot1266r.jpg
Shot1267r.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:14 pm

Old gliders & light commercial airplanes

Shot1306r.jpg

Shot1304r.jpg

Shot1303r.jpg

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:07 pm

And standard High voltage Pylons

Trianon type high voltage pylon (580 vertices)

Shot1315r.jpg

Cat type high voltage pylon (488 vertices)

Shot1308r.jpg

Beaubourg high voltage pylon (510 vertices)

Shot1321r.jpg

with fully transparent structure, that double the number of vertices.

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:23 am

New and and old assets:

Trailers

Shot1340r.jpg

Grob 103

Shot1334r.jpg

ASW27

Shot1343r.jpg

By the way, I sent an email to OXO accompanied by a Zip file with the content of the 3 pylons in C3D with the Textures in order to allow all scenery makers to use them.

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:43 pm

Duo Discus

Shot1349.jpg

Shot1352r.jpg

Shot1350r.jpg

wickid

Post by wickid » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:21 pm

Very nice Xavier,

OXO and I were discussing landscape objects yesterday. Specifically Vinon in AA2, but this also applies to Sion. The framerate flying around Vinon is sometimes very low and stuttering.

The way it is done now is very framerate intensive. Vinon specifically has 2800 separate objects (trees, houses, trailers, gliders ect.) scattered around the airfield. Every object, even if it share a texture with an other generates a "Draw call" the way I understand it. If you group the objects together into a single object the shared texture only has to be loaded once. Better even, have multiple objects share a common large texture.

You can still have your objects as separate assets. But before placing them into the sim it is better to load them into one Blender file and export the whole scene around the airport into a object. This single object is than place with the landscape editor into the Condor landscape. That vastly improves the framerate! A single large C3D file with many vertices is better than many small ones with few vertices. Blender has support for asset libraries. So you could set that up and just click and drag all these beautiful objects into a large scene for exporting, instead of this cluncky LandscapeEditor (don't get me started on that tool haha :lol: )

Same is true for the power pylons. If the AA2 guys are somehow able to place the pylons that are on a tile into a single c3d file than that is only a single draw call instead of however many pylons are on that tile.
PH-1504, KOE

maymar

Post by maymar » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:11 pm

wickid wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:21 pm
Every object, even if it share a texture with an other generates a "Draw call" the way I understand it. If you group the objects together into a single object the shared texture only has to be loaded once. Better even, have multiple objects share a common large texture.

You can still have your objects as separate assets. But before placing them into the sim it is better to load them into one Blender file and export the whole scene around the airport into a object. This single object is than place with the landscape editor into the Condor landscape. That vastly improves the framerate! A single large C3D file with many vertices is better than many small ones with few vertices. Blender has support for asset libraries. So you could set that up and just click and drag all these beautiful objects into a large scene for exporting, instead of this cluncky LandscapeEditor (don't get me started on that tool haha :lol: )

Same is true for the power pylons. If the AA2 guys are somehow able to place the pylons that are on a tile into a single c3d file than that is only a single draw call instead of however many pylons are on that tile.
How about not to use textures for power line pylons and just make it as a object with many vertices?

dgtfer

Post by dgtfer » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:48 pm

wickid wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:21 pm
Very nice Xavier,

OXO and I were discussing landscape objects yesterday. Specifically Vinon in AA2, but this also applies to Sion. The framerate flying around Vinon is sometimes very low and stuttering.

The way it is done now is very framerate intensive. Vinon specifically has 2800 separate objects (trees, houses, trailers, gliders ect.) scattered around the airfield. Every object, even if it share a texture with an other generates a "Draw call" the way I understand it. If you group the objects together into a single object the shared texture only has to be loaded once. Better even, have multiple objects share a common large texture.

Vinon is the oldest of AA2 airports, the methods used now have greatly evolved, with a single large texture for both ground (G.c3d) and most of the various objects in the airport. By now I will also include the trailers and tree textures in that single big one.
But as I've lost all my objects sources in a hard drive crash this year, it is not possible to modify the existing O.c3d.
It would be nice to have a tool to edit them and merge existing c3d objects, like gliders and planes with them.

For pylons, It is certainly possible to regroup them in tile-size objects but there are 16 000 tiles (patches) in AA2 and about 400 000 pylons, each one with it's own position, altitude, orientation, and size, with 3 different types of pylon now; these pieces of information being summarized in the AA2.obj file (excepted for the altitude, that is no longer ruled by the .obj). We certainly need a simple tool to do this grouping. And it will generate more than 10000 objects some of them composed of hundreds of pylons, each weighing a few kbytes. That would lead to a World/Objects directory filled with several Gbytes of c3d files.
Last edited by dgtfer on Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wickid

Post by wickid » Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:08 pm

Excellent!

I like the direction AA2 is going. There are some really nice airports and the power pylons are a really nice touch!

I do hear complaints though here and there about performance issues with them. That is why I suggested the above. It should be looked into being able to group stuff together more easily. I don't know if it is possible to get a terrain patch opened in blender together with the pylons so you can select and group them together.
PH-1504, KOE

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:50 am

(New Topic)
Last edited by Xavier on Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

wickid

Post by wickid » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:34 am

Just for my reference,

The object that is causing the 25 FPS, how many vertices? And are the objects a single line in the object editor, or are there 6800 lines?
PH-1504, KOE

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:41 pm

Message deleted (new topic)
Last edited by Xavier on Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

wickid

Post by wickid » Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:49 pm

It may be that the objects have "Hard Edges" in Wings. When exporting to .obj the edge gets split into 2 (one for each adjacent face) to get a nice crisp corner. That doubles the vertices for each edge. Wings does some weird things to objects sometimes. I have to clean object up quite a bit when I import them from Wings into Blender.

In blender I can control the "hard edges" very precisely. All plane development has been moved over to Blender as it gives much more precise control and a accurate vertex count. In blender this action is called "Edge split" and if I do that on a cube the vertex count goes up from 6 to 24! (6 faces x 4 vertices per face) When I'm modeling planes I'm always very looking out for this and removing as much vertices along edges as possible, because ever vertex on a split edge will become doubled! Also I like the texturing tools in blender much more than Wings. Took a while to master Blender, but I would never want to go back to Wings now.

You can try if it helps in Wings to select all edges -> right click -> hardness -> soft. See if that still increases the vertex count in the object editor.

Holes in the bottom of the objects is good! that helps reduce the load as well. No need to have faces that can never be seen :D
PH-1504, KOE

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:06 am

This topic on Sion Airport is a showcase of what I create as assets for Condor 2.

Two assets are shared on my cloud, but with limited volume access.

You can already download in 7z file, the 3 types of Pylones and my collection of PA 28 Super Cub (52 different versions, for 1 single texture) already offered in 2019.

The GNU license is for Condor2 and is available for all scenery creators:

Here is the link :
https://mega.nz/folder/gKQBnaIL#Z7SjoDHqXuIuHvYJE8NcuA

I create a new Topic for the problems related to the decrease of the FPS on the large objects representing the cities with the title:

Drop in FPS when approaching 3.3 km from the center of large Landscape Objects.