Editing an existing airport in Condor2

Moderators: Uros, OXO

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: Editing an existing airport in Condor2

Post by EDB » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:32 am

With "save landscape +" you have a version history.

edwalker

Post by edwalker » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:20 am

Thanks, everyone. I was able to get a temporary airport transposition for training purposes while I work on a new airport with proper G and O files. I understand this is not a usable network scenery now, but we are using this exclusively for local student training, so accuracy of runways and rope break options were more important than competition.

It turns out that Landscape Editor did not modify any data in airport O or G files nor any dds tile. It saved its information in 2 files: SceneryName.obj and SceneryName.apt. I was able to move the default asphalt launch runway to a grass runway 40 meters laterally, edit the start point of the launch to the usual setup area, and move some buildings that are part of the general scenery template to the opposite side of the runway simply by rotating the direction of the runway 180 degrees so that the template buildings which could not be deleted would follow around to the correct side of the runway. I added some hangars and business buildings with Landscape Editor and populated the appropriate side of the runway. It was a bit difficult since I had to do this without textures drawn, so much of it was trial and error. Nevertheless this is good enough for primary student training.

Again, my appreciation for all your help. It gives me a sense of the dedication and generosity of our landscape architects.

edwalker

Post by edwalker » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:15 pm

Since someone in the future may find this thread useful I guess I should ask one more question for completeness.

I had expected that when I had used Landscape Editor I would be changing the Airport O and G files. Since Landscape Editor changes the SceneryName.obj and SceneryName.apt files and doesn't seem to touch the Airport O and G files, how does all this work together? When I get around to doing properly modified O and G files, will I need to go back to the original SceneryName.obj and SceneryName.apt files so that the new airport will reflect the new design?

Again, thanks to all who contribute to these sceneries. I hope in the future, in the next update of Landscape Editor, we have the ability to edit larger sceneries with textures turned on as well as a small library of standard objects (mostly hangars) that we can use to help with our local airfields. Also, more detailed documentation of the program would be helpful for beginners.

wickid

Post by wickid » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:52 pm

You make the O and G file in a 3D modeling software. Convert them to C3D with the object editor. Put them in the correct folder and they will get placed at the airport coordinates. The origin defined in the 3D software will be at the airport reference coordinates and I think the runway axis is the X coordinate in the modeling software (I'm working from memory here, using wings3D).

Any adjustments need to be done with the original 3D files (.wings or .obj when using wings3D) and re-exported as C3D. You cannot modify the O and G objects directly.
PH-1504, KOE

edwalker

Post by edwalker » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:58 pm

One last observation. If you are using a very large scenery and have to turn off Textures (F1) to get it to load you are placing objects blindly since there is no visible bitmap. One work around I found that is not too bad is to open Google Earth and note the GPS coordinates for the center of each structure and then use those coordinates to guide your placement of the object.

wickid

Post by wickid » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:23 pm

edwalker wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:58 pm
One last observation. If you are using a very large scenery and have to turn off Textures (F1) to get it to load you are placing objects blindly since there is no visible bitmap. One work around I found that is not too bad is to open Google Earth and note the GPS coordinates for the center of each structure and then use those coordinates to guide your placement of the object.
Maybe you can try moving all the files out of your "LandscapeName/Working/Textures" folder. Then open the landscape in the landscape editor. It will generate the gray scale height maps as textures (really small files, only 64x64 pixels, 12 kb).

After that find the texture you need where you want to adjust or place the objects on. Convert it from .DDS to .BMP and put it in the above mentioned folder. The landscape editor will then load only this tile as a full resolution texture. The others will remain the grayscale height map. That way the landscape editor is less likely to run out of memory :D .
PH-1504, KOE