UV Mapping / How many textures?

Moderators: Uros, OXO

KipperUK

UV Mapping / How many textures?

Post by KipperUK » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:56 pm

As you can see via my Sutton Bank thread, I managed to learn enough about UV mapping/Texturing last night to be able to make a very simplified but somewhat believable (in the right light!) hangar complex for my real life gliding club.

In creating the blender file, I ended up with a heirarchy containing all of the different shapes/items in the complex - which in the end I merged together, unwrapped, and laid the simple texture onto. This made it possible to have a single texture file for the whole scene, but will make editing the model more difficult going forward.

If I didn't merge in blender; I could create several UV maps for each object - and it looks like I could make and apply several textures, one for each in the C3D maker.

My question is - can I actually do this? Can one Condor object support multiple textures? Is there a performance disadvantage?

OXO
Condor Team

Re: UV Mapping / How many textures?

Post by OXO » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:59 pm

Condor has a limit of 1 texture per object. This is why we dont usually have a collection of buildings as a single object.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

JBr

Post by JBr » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:25 pm

To clarify OXO's post even more, one C3D file is a "landscape object" that is placed into the scenery. Inside it constains one or multiple "scene objects". One scene object can only have one texture, but the whole landscape object (C3D file) may of course use multiple textures, if it contains multiple scene objects.

KipperUK

Post by KipperUK » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:29 pm

Fair enough, and I could/should have modelled the tug hangar separately but the main hangar and clubhouse is actually one building, but made of three objects in blender (because it seemed easier).

So in that case, merging the objects in blender and unwrapping them is the way forward for complicatedly shaped things? (and trying to stick to one 'building' per object).