Tga file type 2 or 10

Moderators: Uros, OXO

Xavier

Tga file type 2 or 10

Post by Xavier » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:53 am

Hi,

I had some issues with "tga" textures' files in "scene objects".

If I use 32 bits tga file in my scenery, nothing happens till I start Condor 2. Condor 2 hangs when loading the "tga" file and the screen stays white.
if I use the windows' task manager, I can kill the image and Condor 2 goes on normally and I can start the task in Condor, but my object is white.

If I use 24 bits "tga" files in my scenery, nothing happens when I start Condor, but my object is white and semi-transparent.

If I load in Object Editor the "c3d" file with a 32 bits "tga" file, I get a warning telling me that it is not a type 2 or 10 files.

Or these 32bits "tga" texture files work with Condor 1.

To avoid this difficulty I change the object in "landscape Object" with a "bmp" file for the hard texture and "glass.tga" for the transparencies.

This works well :
Shot129.jpg
Any suggestion?
*****- Xavier - (XDL - VR FAN) *****

Capricorne

Re: Tga file type 2 or 10

Post by Capricorne » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:13 pm

Salut Xavier,

I have stopped trying to understand tga problems.... :D I converted all my " colored glass" to .dds DX3 and continue to use the 0.94 setting for Alpha In c3d files . But the little think, I could not solve without re editing in Wings3d my Gliders or other Planes , is the shadows drawn on a Ground plane...could not make them completely transparent in ObjectEditor..
Capricorne - S67

zou

Post by zou » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:10 pm

When I changed the appearance and light ratio of the cumulus clouds, to create more realistic clouds, I had the same error message with the TGA files.
I solved the problem using GIMP as converter. Open your .tga file and go to the File / Export as... and export your file in .tga format by unchecking the RLE compression. (See screenshot)
TGA files.jpg
For information about Image type :

Is enumerated in the lower three bits, with the fourth bit as a flag for RLE. Some possible values are:

0 no image data is present
1 uncompressed color-mapped image
2 uncompressed true-color image
3 uncompressed black-and-white (grayscale) image
9 run-length encoded color-mapped image
10 run-length encoded true-color image
11 run-length encoded black-and-white (grayscale) image

Image type 1 and 9: Depending on the Pixel Depth value, image data representation is an 8, 15, or 16 bit index into a color map that defines the color of the pixel. Image type 2 and 10: The image data is a direct representation of the pixel color. For a Pixel Depth of 15 and 16 bit, each pixel is stored with 5 bits per color. If the pixel depth is 16 bits, the topmost bit is reserved for transparency. For a pixel depth of 24 bits, each pixel is stored with 8 bits per color. A 32-bit pixel depth defines an additional 8-bit alpha channel. Image type 3 and 11: The image data is a direct representation of grayscale data. The pixel depth is 8 bits for images of this type.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:08 pm

Merci Patrice et Anouar pour vos réponses.

The solution of Zou works only for tga file of type 2, and when the object is complex there are some issues with transparencies.

"Type 10 tga" files do not work, and if the RLE is not working there is no interest to use "tga" files and scene objects with transparencies.

have a look at the issue with tga file.

in Object editor

with tga files type 2 (no RLE)
R4.JPG
the object is semi-transparent

R6.JPG

There is a hole in the rear right glazing (blue arrow)

Shot137.jpg

Flying in Condor2 the semi-transparencies disappear but the hole is always present.

(Following in the next post)

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:19 pm

Now when I transform the Scene Object in a Landscape Object

In Object Editor:

R5.JPG
there are no semi-transparencies.

Flying in condor2
Shot138.jpg
There is no hole.

I just lost the white strips and the different kind of transparencies, but this can be managed in another way.

@ Capricorne: like me, you can try 1 in the alpha channel, normally there is no change in the transparency.

Good flight.

Capricorne

Post by Capricorne » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:19 pm

The alpha value has a very subtile effect... :D
As we had found this value in .cx file , I have keep it ..., You are right not all time visible, but between 0 and 1, there is certainly a right value depending on how tinted the glass is, more visible in my little "Robin" than In my "EC145" helicopter..
Here my heli with 0, 1 and 0,94 value
And the "Robin

For now I'm more busy with trying to find a good source for detailed forest for importing in my 16k textures for BigPyrenees2... :oops:
Capricorne - S67