Drop of FPS when you are 3.3 km to 5 km from large Landscape Objects

Moderators: Uros, OXO

Xavier

Drop of FPS when you are 3.3 km to 5 km from large Landscape Objects

Post by Xavier » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:53 am

My unpublished scenery is WildAlps 2 made in 2019 (8192 artwork textures, etc. and full Condor 2 requirements). Quite all airports made for this scenery are used with AA2.

Now I use my scenery to develop new assets and new manners of grouping assets in order to make towns, hamlets, etc. Michel DGT do the same research and we exchange some of our experiments.
Have a look to the screenshot of Sion Airport.

I use VR with a Quest 2 at maximum graphic parameters (Condor 2 and Oculus) and the view is mirrored to my 32" screen with a resolution of 2560 x 1440 pixel with a NVIDIA GE force 3070 RTX video Card. On this view the FPS are up to 420 and limited at 90 FPS in VR.

Sion_Airport.jpg
Sion_Airport.jpg

On this view you can see the whole Sion Airport, with a lot of added assets, Pylons-Chat on the left. All the presented assets in this topic in the center, and on the right several buildings surrounding the airports.

Presently I only encounter a big decrease of the FPS when I reach 3.3 km from the center of an airport in the middle of a town. But there is more than 6800 buildings in one object with one only colored texture for the town.

Shot1358r.jpg

The buildings of the town

Shot1366r.jpg

At 1.8 km from the center.

The FPS are in the range of 22 and 25 fps with the last driver of the graphic card.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Xavier on Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
*****- Xavier - (XDL - VR FAN) *****

Xavier

Re: Drop of FPS when you are 3.3 km from large Landscape Objects

Post by Xavier » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:54 am

Answer of Wickid:
wickid wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:34 am
Just for my reference,

The object that is causing the 25 FPS, how many vertices? And are the objects a single line in the object editor, or are there 6800 lines?

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:59 am

Hi Wickid, and thank you for your message.

This object is still a Landscape Object. The integration in the airport is not yet done for multiple causes.

As shown in the following picture, this object has in Wings3D or Blender:
51589 polygons, 114015 edges, 75996 vertices and 6837 holes (one per building)

Airport_in-Town.jpg

This object is extract from OSM data and is quite correctly managed in altitude.

But in Object editor for unknown causes, except triangulation, the number of vertices goes up to 194429. And you can test that increase on each landscape object.

Airport_in-Town_2.jpg

The second finding is that the view in Object editor is limited to some distant (on the screenshot the display is not complete in the upper part).

Airport_in-Town_3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:01 am

Answer of Wickid:
wickid wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:49 pm
It may be that the objects have "Hard Edges" in Wings. When exporting to .obj the edge gets split into 2 (one for each adjacent face) to get a nice crisp corner. That doubles the vertices for each edge. Wings does some weird things to objects sometimes. I have to clean object up quite a bit when I import them from Wings into Blender.

In blender I can control the "hard edges" very precisely. All plane development has been moved over to Blender as it gives much more precise control and a accurate vertex count. In blender this action is called "Edge split" and if I do that on a cube the vertex count goes up from 6 to 24! (6 faces x 4 vertices per face) When I'm modeling planes I'm always very looking out for this and removing as much vertices along edges as possible, because ever vertex on a split edge will become doubled! Also I like the texturing tools in blender much more than Wings. Took a while to master Blender, but I would never want to go back to Wings now.

You can try if it helps in Wings to select all edges -> right click -> hardness -> soft. See if that still increases the vertex count in the object editor.

Holes in the bottom of the objects is good! that helps reduce the load as well. No need to have faces that can never be seen :D

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:05 pm

Experiments 1 : Results

Exp1.jpg

wickid

Post by wickid » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:06 pm

Interesting! Thank you for testing!
PH-1504, KOE

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:20 pm

Embedding a Large Village in Scenery with OSM Data as a Landscape Object
After much trial and error, here are the provisional conclusions that can be drawn from this integration to stay in a simulation with 90 FPS on the Oculus Quest 2 headset and 90 FPS on the mirrored monitor. In AA2 I sometimes go down to 50 FPS when there are many objects and clouds, but up to 20 FPS there is no stuttering.

Number of buildings: about 1500
Number of vertices in Object Editor: 54000
Dimension of the landscape object 4 x 4 km
Here are 3 screenshots to illustrate my point:

Shot1406r.jpg

Shot1405r.jpg

Shot1401r.jpg

Problems not solved:
- The extraction of the buildings is in WGS84 and not in UTM 43
- The Condor canvas (30 m) is sometimes slightly different from the OSM one. It is therefore necessary to construct the landscape object without shadow with the suffix _ns.
- The texture applied is not satisfactory for flat or pitched roofs.
The extraction of OSM data and their export were done only with Blender.
The biggest difficulty is the orientation of the object, around 170°, the determination of its positioning in Landscape Editor and especially to determine the height of the center of the object. When one of the parameters is changed, all the others must be reviewed.

Xavier

Re: Drop of FPS when you are 3.3 km to 5 km from large Landscape Objects

Post by Xavier » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:46 pm

I have a dream, to fly over this city with 90 FPS in my VR headset.

Shot1452r.jpg

Shot1451r.jpg

Shot1449r.jpg

To day I get only 9 to 10 FPS!

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:21 pm

Xavier wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:46 pm
I have a dream...

At 6:05 P.M. on Thursday, 4 April 1968, Martin Luther King was shot dead while standing on a balcony outside his second-floor room at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, Tennessee.

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:20 pm

We have found the cause of the fps drop and have a solution for V3. It’s not all done yet but it’s looking good
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:37 pm

Dreams are made to become true. Thank you OXO.

By the way, I find on the web an add-on to change the projection of OSM data in Blender. The only difficulty remains that alignment in LE is difficult because the step is 1°. It should be better if the step were 0.1°. But we can manage this obstacle in Blender.

I had found the natural way to export an object with different materials. Too young in blender, to find obviousness! :?

So now all the buildings are having their textures for facades, flat roofs and pitched roofs. But these ugly textures, coming with the soft, are too many and too dark. I didn't notice any decrease of FPS. I will make new textures.

Shot1498r.jpg

Shot1494r.jpg

Shot1491r.jpg

The only remaining problem is to extract the terrain from the scenery mesh, instead of OSM data, in order that the buildings will not be half-buried or flowing a little bit in the air.