Räyskälä WGC 2014 landscape : Patch for v1.1 available!

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

Re: Räyskälä WGC 2014 landscape : maps and textures shots

Post by 6266 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:14 pm

Thanks Andy, have started to work with QGIS, will be a long way for sure ;-)
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
25 landscapes with free available textures, newest: Maine

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

Kekelekou

Räyskälä WGC 2014 landscape : completed! Tasks tbd

Post by Kekelekou » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:31 pm

Forest maps corrections, read-me and loadscreens done, so : landscape completed!
When all the tasks of the world championships are recreated (METARs and tasks TPs are already retrieved), I'll upload the package at Condor-Club. :D

Stay tuned!

Re: Räyskälä WGC 2014 landscape : Completed! Tasks tbd

Post by 6266 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:04 pm

Looks good, well done!
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
25 landscapes with free available textures, newest: Maine

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

Kekelekou

Post by Kekelekou » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:15 pm

Vielen Dank Peter!

Well, never too late to find new mistakes : I mixed things up while reading a task (the Club one on June 26th 2014), so the westmost turnpoint should have been Laajoki instead of Ylane, a 15km error. So the landscape should have featured 1 more tile to the west to include all TPs with sufficient margin.
Luckily enough, Laajoki TP is on the right side of the no-fly zone (ableit very very close to the boundary), and on top of that, this specific task was an AAT, so the task can be flown even if the western half of this 25km-radius TP zone is not accessible. All other 28 tasks flown during the WGC are perfectly fine as far as margins to the boundaries are concerned.

So I can quite confidently state that I will NOT start it all again from scratch anway. :lol:

Edit :
Here is the task : https://www.soaringspot.com/en_gb/33rd- ... 2014-06-26
It would be impossible to fly west of Laajoki on the Condor scenery. Does not look like a showtopper to me.

Kekelekou

Re: Räyskälä WGC 2014 landscape : Completed! Tasks ongoing

Post by Kekelekou » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:41 pm

Hello!

The RäyskäläWGC2014 scenery is back on the workbench! I have been recreating the tasks flown as accurately as I can. The weather then was pretty harsh, with half the tasks cancelled due to inclement conditions. So get ready for challenging tasks :lol:

Kekelekou

Post by Kekelekou » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:58 pm

So here are the latest news : the weather is now adapted so the climbs in thermal match what the IGC tracks show on SoaringSpot.
All tasks are completed.
The scenery is splitted into 3 1Go zip packages, to be uploaded in the next few days on CondorClub!

Kekelekou

Re: Räyskälä WGC 2014 landscape : Uploading at snail pace

Post by Kekelekou » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:03 pm

Oh boy... Uploading to CondorClub at 47kB/sec. :oops:
(Nothing wrong on CC side :lol: )

mikakoski

Post by mikakoski » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:50 am

Thanks a lot Keke. I started to download. Finally Nummela, Vesivehmaa and Oripää based pilots will be able to fly in Condor2.

Once again, so much owed by so many to so few!

Br, Mika

Kekelekou

Post by Kekelekou » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:39 am

Kiitos sinulle Mika!

I hope it won't be too much of a disappointment, but don't expect too much of Oripää, Nummela or Vesivehmaa airfields.
As mentioned in the read-me files, the reenactment of the Championships being the main aim of this landscape, only 3 airfields are fully modelled : Räyskälä EFRY of course, Hyvinkää EFHV and Forssa EFFO, which I had created for the small Kanta-Häme scenery. All other airfields are declared in the landscape but do NOT feature 3D objects.

By the way, Thierry Bodin spotted a few black tiles in the NW corner of the scenery yesterday. I sent a patch with fixed dds textures yesterday evening, but as of today 10:00am ECT, the black tiles are NOT fixed in the package on CondorClub.

So expect the patch to be released in the next few days, and please install it as soon as it is available from CC or CondorUpdater.
Sorry about that.

Kekelekou

Re: Räyskälä WGC 2014 landscape : Available! But patch coming up...

Post by Kekelekou » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:44 pm

Patch is available! Merci Thierry!

mikakoski

Re: Räyskälä WGC 2014 landscape : Available! Patch released!

Post by mikakoski » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:24 am

Dear Keke,

it is perfectly okay not to have 3D objects in Nummela, but I know that you are an artist and who wants to improve your work again and again. So let us know what kind of images and dimensions you need for 3Ds. :-)

Anyway just to let you know that your scenery is very much appreciated in Nummela gliding community and we will start club activities based on C2 flying and you scenery.

Br, Mika

Kekelekou

Post by Kekelekou » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:06 pm

mikakoski wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:24 am
it is perfectly okay not to have 3D objects in Nummela, but I know that you are an artist and who wants to improve your work again and again. So let us know what kind of images and dimensions you need for 3Ds. :-)
:lol: Let me tell you this is your lucky day : I just could not resist your very subtle, yet highly persuasive message.
So I have been fiddling about with textures and polygons, and here what I have come up with so far (a quick and dirty trial, the runway is not located right, the black lines are the unwrapped edges), but the overall look is quite right and the texture resolution would remain as it is depicted below.

Creating the polygons "the usual way" in order to separate asphalt, asphalt_paint, grass, and grass_paint areas is really painstaking and not so much fun, that is why I woud just paste a zoom18 texture over a adequately shaped poly for Vesivehmaa, Oripää and Nummela.
I can't zoom in more than z18 because available higher resolution photographs feature too many artifacts to be usable (in my opinion).
And regarding 3D objects, we'll see later :wink:
Anyway just to let you know that your scenery is very much appreciated in Nummela gliding community and we will start club activities based on C2 flying and you scenery.
Well, thank you for your kind words, but I must say that the Condor EFNU airfield is quite far below par as of today : I have just realised that I had forgotten to flatten the terrain, what makes things pretty... bumpy.

So the roadmap for the "airfield expansion pack" would fall down into :
- flattening all airfields
for Oripää, Vesivehmaa and Nummela (and maybe Räyskälä, Hyvinkää and Forssa) :
- adding the zoom18 background texture
- maybe adding 3D objects

We are not done yet :D

Kekelekou

Re: Räyskälä WGC 2014 landscape : Airfield Expansion Pack in the making

Post by Kekelekou » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:54 am

Hello,

I have improved the blending of the new polygon with the "HD" texture for EFNU with the lower res tiles, and I am quite pleased with the results :

So I can move on and tackle the 3D modelling.
mikakoski wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:24 am
So let us know what kind of images and dimensions you need for 3Ds. :-)
The only dimension I can not deduce from the aerial pictures is the height, so I would be pleased to get a picture of each side and the estimated height of each building. This would make the texturing much quicker. Kiitoksia.

mikakoski

Post by mikakoski » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:09 pm

:lol: Let me tell you this is your lucky day : I just could not resist your very subtle, yet highly persuasive message.
:D

Wow, you are just awesome!!! Did your artistic hunger get the better of you? The update was quicker than I expected. I haven't visited this forum for a week and now I'm out of words just watching your creations! They say ( or at least Al Capone said ) that you will get all you want with a couple of nice words and a blowtorch. :-)

With great artists like you blowtorch is not needed.

I talk with a fellow club member who is an architect and has modeled the buildings for communal building permissions about the dimensions of the buildings.

I will get back to you soon.

Br, Mika

Kekelekou

Post by Kekelekou » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:13 pm

Mika,

If your fellow club member would agree to share his 3D models for the builings (ideally as obj files) this would save a lot of time too. He would be credited, of course.