Kanta-Häme Landscape Available at CondorClub

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

Kekelekou

Kanta-Häme Landscape Available at CondorClub

Post by Kekelekou » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:52 pm

Hello fellow soaring simmers!

Following my warm-up with the 1x1-tile Räyskälä landscape, I have been working on a (slightly) larger scenery around the same area in South-West Finland which is the most active soaring zone of Finland, laying between Helsinki Vantaa EFHK, Tampere Pirkkala EFTP and Turku EFTU. It roughly covers the region called Kanta-Häme in Finnish, and sometimes refered to as Tavastia.

The area is large enough to task several 150km triangles, and at least one 200km one. I have found it interesting to use a real-like VFR map as the background for the PDA map. The 1/4tile no-fly zone is explicitely hightlighted on it, since this is an issue on a such small scenery.

The landscape is still modest with its 5x3 size and 3 airports (Räyskälä EFRY, Hyvinkää EFHV and Forssa EFFO), but it looks adequately sized for a sensible progression in scenery modelling.
All of the required topographic data are freely available from official Finnish agencies, so the elevation model, tile making, forest and thermal maps were built at a steady pace with no major hiccups. The result can be seen below :

EFRY with its famous runway 12 lake approach :

EFFO :

EFHV :

So the next big item is to tackle the 3D airport creation. Off we go then!

Once again, thank you to all of the contributors who have given us tools, tutorials and inspiration!
Last edited by Kekelekou on Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:36 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Portmann Markus

Re: Kanta-Häme Landscape - Work In Progress

Post by Portmann Markus » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:58 am

:D great i hoped we became a Suomi Landscape! in a Time! spec. with Räiskälä the AF with the fitst 1000km Worldchamp Task!! THX alot Grettings from Switzzerlands Mountains, 1P !!! :D :D :D :D

Kekelekou

Re: Kanta-Häme Landscape - Work In Progress : EFFO ground polys done

Post by Kekelekou » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:02 pm

Glad you like it Markus! But this scenery will be quite small, so I doubt a 1000km task could be flown over it.
Anyway, I have been learning and practicing how to use Blender for Condor scenery modelling, and the result after a few hours is not bad at all (in my opinion anyway :lol: ) :

The ground polys for EFFO are laid down. I gave it a try with a grass poly, but I didn't like the way it looked. So I discarded it altogether. And the Asphalt.dds file is slightly darkened. Now the runway and the taxiways blend much more nicely into the background tiles.

:arrow: Time to model a few hangars and buildings!
And maybe I should have a go at the muck workaround for improved grass/asphalt textures.

Kekelekou

Re: Kanta-Häme Landscape - EFFO Objects WIP

Post by Kekelekou » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:00 am

Hello!

EFFO Forssa is simple enough to allow me to test several technics. I'd rather make mistakes on a "small" airfield and master the tricks then proceed to larger airfields. For instance, here is the result after a little fiddling with the muck files. The airfield sure looks better (here with a few objects from AA2 as placeholders until the custom ones are finished : modelling and UV wrapping done, texturing in progress) :

Stay tuned!

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:37 am

Hi Kekelekou,

It is a very good work!

You are in the right way.

Two advice:

1/ Use Muck, instead of darkening the Asphalt or AsphalPaint DDS. it is more versatile because you can change the final aspect of each runway.

2/ Be certain that the photo satellites you are using are >= 8192x8192 pixels for a Terragen tiles (i.e. : 23040 x 23040 m)
and especially if you use WaterApha. It is a loss of accuracy if you project a 4096 x 4096 photo satellite over a matrix of 8192x 8192.

And that doesn't change the final weight of your scenery. But when you fly near the ground, it is a little bit deceptive.

I understand that to download an accurate photo satellite multiply the download time by 4.

Good continuation, carry on!
*****- Xavier - (XDL - VR FAN) *****

Kekelekou

Post by Kekelekou » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:20 pm

Salut Xavier!

Thank you for your kind words! But the result is mostly based on your tutorials :wink:

1) I have changed my mind and switched to the muck trick to alter the grass and asphalt textures, and it does make things much easier!
2) The terragen tiles are 8192x8192 px.

In the meantime, I have finished the texturing of the 3 buildings, so I am done with Forssa!

Räyskälä is the next airfield I'll model (much more complicated in terms of runways and taxiways), so that I'll finish downhill with Hyvinkää.

Stay tuned!

Kestrel_BY

Re: Kanta-Häme Landscape - EFFO completed!

Post by Kestrel_BY » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:32 pm

I've longed for a scenery in Finland for a very long while. Looks awesome, I love it !

Kekelekou

Re: Kanta-Häme Landscape - EFRY asphalt and grass completed!

Post by Kekelekou » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:13 am

Kestrel_BY wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:32 pm
I've longed for a scenery in Finland for a very long while. Looks awesome, I love it !
My pleasure!

The progress is (really) slow, but steady. EFRY's runways, taxiways and grass polygons are laid down, and the background texture modified to erase any asphalt showing outside the polys.

Stay tuned!

Jarmo K

Re: Kanta-Häme Landscape - EFFO completed!

Post by Jarmo K » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:07 pm

Kestrel_BY wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:32 pm
FAI (IGC) seems to like that region also :wink:
(unfortunately landing on water is possible in Condor, otherwise the amount of forests would create "some" challenges...)
FAI_EFRY.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kekelekou

Post by Kekelekou » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:31 pm

Hello!

I have been working on the Asphalt Paint model and the muck textures for the grass and the asphalt.
But I am facing one strange visual glitch ingame : the edges of the runway polygon get blackish when the POV changes, but stay fine with no head movement.
The muck texture shows no black lines from the UV layout.

Any idea about what could cause the issue? Xavier maybe?
Xavier wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:37 am

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:29 pm

Sorry to answer so late, but the issue is already discussed p. 124 (E) or p. 125 (F).

Another useful topic :

When you use muck and you want to make your G file, to avoid other black lines or undefined separations between colours you have to separate colours when you unwrap your airport (UV mapping).

Here is an example to make frangible 3d markers:

The basic texture:

muck balise.png

The coloured Texture used with muck:

Muck balise 2.png

The airport in condor 2:

Shot783.jpg

My two pence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*****- Xavier - (XDL - VR FAN) *****

VST

Post by VST » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:24 pm

Very good looking first steps! I was working on a Finland landscape in 2013-2014 but gave up because of poor availability of good quality photo textures. Where is your data from?

Do you fly in Finland yourself?

Lauri

Kekelekou

Post by Kekelekou » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:52 pm

Hello!

Merci Xavier for your feedback. I had another look the other day, and the vanishing black lines that I mention seem to exist on other airports (on AA2 for example), just on the edges of the _asphaltpaint polygons. It might be related to my computer/graphic card settings, so no need to change anything with the UV wrapping. Sigh of relief.

Lauri, unfortunately I do not fly in Finland (or anywhere else in the real, non-virtual world). :(

VST

Post by VST » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:22 pm

Can you give us a hint on your data source for textures?

Lauri

Kekelekou

Post by Kekelekou » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:14 pm

Lauri, please check your PM.