Bug in Landscape or Condor2?

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

NaderFam

Bug in Landscape or Condor2?

Post by NaderFam » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:30 pm

I created a flight plan out of Salanche France in the Mt Blanc landscape (Jura_Mount-Blanc2). I asked for an air tow to +700 meters. After two turns the tow plane went straight into a mountain face. It disappeared, as I assume the tow plane is considered a geometric point, while it dragged me on and I crashed into the mountain, probably because the glider is considered a solid object that can't go through a polygon.

Anyhow, I've attached the replay of the flight and the flight plan.

I hope my novice air-tow ability didn't upset the tow pilot that much, at least I was following OK for the last half KM of the flight when the tow did this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: Bug in Landscape or Condor2?

Post by EDB » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:56 pm

If you create the flightplan yourself...
Place the startsector upwind of the airport in the same valley of the airport. The tow will take off into the wind and then fly to the center of the start sector... Through the valley...

NaderFam

Post by NaderFam » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:49 pm

Thanks for your reply. I get that. But I am curious as to why this happened.

As I am interested to eventually create a few landscapes, I wonder if there are precautions about such events.

I will try to change the wind specifications and see if it helps. None-the-less, it would be nice to know of the technical issue.

I have not flown much in Condor and the last time I was in a glider it was in 1967. Maybe I've flown 35 hours in Condor2, most just uncomplicated flights. I have been very impressed by the thoroughness and accuracy of the calculations in it. So, the surprise to encounter this odd event was palpable.

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:14 pm

Currently a landscape builder can not block a specific runway takeoff direction... He can only specify a preferred direction that will be used if the wind is below a certain threshold. About 10km/h.
When the wind is stronger, it will takeoff into the wind. As in real life... you don't take off with a 50kmh tailwind. After that the tow plane will fly to the center of the start sector and then to the nearest thermal. Terrain avoidance is not on the top of the list at the moment. That will add more detailed climb rate and turn rate calculations.

Maybe it will improve in the future... But there are more important things. A good tasksetter can prevent issues.
Last edited by EDB on Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:20 pm

The towplane does not interact with anything, whereas the glider does.
This is a known problem, sometimes the towplane AI is not that clever and selects curious paths.

FYI : Sallanches has been closed a few months ago IRL
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

NaderFam

Post by NaderFam » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:33 pm

Thanks to all for your responses. It is good to learn about the methods used in calculating paths. It will help setup flight plans more rationally.