OSM Data in your scenery

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

Xavier

OSM Data in your scenery

Post by Xavier » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:53 pm

It is only a summary to answer several scenery makers who want to embed OSM data in their scenery whatever the base is Photosat or Terragen.

1/ Download OSM data with QGIS for more than a complete Terragen Tile.

2/ Filter your data to get:
- Buildings
- Roads
- Rivers
- Forest
- Lakes,
etc. (It is up to you)
and export each filtered layers to dfx or svg.

3/ Then open your base in Illustrator or Inskape.
Scale and place in the right place all the layers (It is not so difficult).

After that you obtain that kind of tile with the window layers.

PH1ex.jpg

and the zoom

PH2ex.jpg

4/ from this tile you can easily obtain:
-WaterAlpha
-ForestMaps
and
Thermalmap

PH3ex.png

5/ Export each tiles in bmp

6/ Crop the tiles to 8192 x 8192 pixels (size forestmaps to 2048) in Photoshop or Gimp.

7/ Use Landscape Editor to finish the job!

Have fun
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*****- Xavier - (XDL - VR FAN) *****

drh

Re: OSM Data in your scenery

Post by drh » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:54 pm

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I thought this might be interesting for the folks who rather do things from the command line than with the mouse... create_landscape.py is able to create forest and water tiles and a thermal map from OSM data automatically.

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:35 am

Hi drh,

Don't worry, you don't hi-jack this thread. I follow, since the beginning, your interesting works in your "create_landscape.py - Condor" topic and your GitHub page "Condor 2 tools".

Understand that quite all the steps of the workflow are already partially or fully automated with the scripting tools (JavaScript) of Illustrator and Photoshop.

But the main residual issue comes after the OSM data are embedded in the tiles because:

- Some data are missing.
- Some data are inaccurate or obsolete.

You have to update your data once a year at least! You must add the missing data etc...

The most important missing data are the forest coverage when you compare photo-sat coverage and OSM data forest area. Only manual correction seems available.

But OSM data are vector data, and are very good for 8192 pixels Terragen tiles, and excellent for 16384 pixels sized tiles etc. or one or two patches with very high resolution.

It is for that I am going on with OSM data for "Photorealistic" textures or "Synthetic" artwork textures.

So welcome to this topic.
*****- Xavier - (XDL - VR FAN) *****

GregHart1965

Post by GregHart1965 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:13 pm

I really wish there was a way to get accurate quick forest and tree coverage data. I cant even figure out how to get the OSM data into QGIS never mind have a product that even vaguely matches the satellite imagery! I have been hand painting it all which seems to be the only way but this takes forEVER! Getting totally burnt out and I am not even 10% into the very large scenery.

- correction I can get the data into QGIS but it is limited to only State owned forestry land and just shows the extent of the properties which has zero relationship to which areas are full of trees in the photo and which parts have been clear-felled etc. Also the oSM data does not show any other tree coverage - so no privately owned forests (of which the are hundreds) and no data on trees growing in urban areas. So basically the data is completely useless for creating a realistic scenery! Building this all by hand is killing me! It will most likely take a year and a half to two years of all of my free time to make an 18x18 tile scenery!!!!! I will definitely need to charge people for the scenery if it involves so much time - and yet Condor offers no way for protection of copyright or any protection against people simply copying the scenery - not really worth the effort all things considered!!

wickid

Post by wickid » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:46 pm

There is a way to add copy protection to a scenery. Ask Cadfael for the details. Im not sure how to do it.
PH-1504, KOE

GregHart1965

Post by GregHart1965 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:50 pm

Thanks - yeah sorry to moan guys, it's just high levels of frustration setting in - I am somewhat overwhelmed by the vastness of the task ahead!! I am being a bit over-the-top in my thoroughness in doing the scenery but I have tried holding back and just sprinkling a few trees here and there - It looks terrible! That is the one huge drawback with realistic sceneries - everything is right there in the imagery so if you try to cheat it, it stands out like a sore thumb :?

I will definitely try to liase with Cafdael as well as consult with a friend who does IT security for banks. The ideal thing would be to have the activation of the scenery lock it to the MAC address of the machine it is on - only allowing condor access if the MAC address matches that stored in the protective shell of the scenery. That along with online purchases and activation as well as protection against the files being copied (so they would just appear greyed out to the user) - anyway that is all a long way off from where I am at right now. Unfortunately I am not in a financial position where I can simply do this as a hobby. However I do love gliding and enjoy seeing the fruits of my labour - additionally there is need (many requests from local pilots) for sceneries of South Africa. I just wish there was a MUCH quicker way of doing it! OSM data for South Africa is very sparse it seems! I want to chat to the local Ordinance and Survey offices but they have been closed due to COVID so that will have to wait.

I would not charge much probably 10EURO - the price of a beer. My last scenery has been downloaded well over 1000 times but less than ten people donated - talk about tight fisted!!! LOL. (I don't expect other scenery producers to pay at all - you guys would for sure qualify for a freebee). I addition I will continue to post any decent 3D models I have made for free as my contribution to Condor.

Onward through the fog!