Any clubs need a custom photorealistic scenery?

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

jmurtari

Any clubs need a custom photorealistic scenery?

Post by jmurtari » Mon May 04, 2020 2:29 pm

Folks,

I'm a senior software guy and also a past USAF flight instructor. Love Condor 2, but frustrated by a lack of local sceneries that can accelerate student training with familiarity of their club's flying area. The USAF Academy Soaring program has really endorsed Condor 2 and the Mach 0.1 flight simulator (they can now solo a student in about 12 glider rides). Getting past that first solo is a big hurdle in any pilot's career.

I had a hard time following a bunch of posts on how to create a photo scenery and wanted to create a simple/complete tutorial that an 'average' person could follow.... With a couple of other guys we've refined it to something usable (created a scenery used by the USAF Academy). Current version of the tutorial here -> https://www.soaringtools.org/wp-content ... ial-r2.pdf

Right now we're doing a major revision, which requires me making some sceneries for practice. If you'd like to get one done (free!) and in a few weeks, please message me.

strawberrybacon

Re: Any clubs need a custom photorealistic scenery?

Post by strawberrybacon » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:36 pm

Hi @jmurtari.

I've been flying Condor 2 for about 6 months and have been missing the "Southern Sweden" landscape everyone in the Swedish VR championship scene is talking about. It existed in Condor 1 and hasn't been replaced yet.

I've myself thought about looking into it but haven't had either the time or the know how to know where to start.
If you still haven't had any map you've sank your teeth into, then that would be an amazing map for swedish virtual soarers to get done.

As a bare minimum, I was looking into making a 1/albedo map of Ljungbyhed airport in Southern Sweden.

Nice to hear that the USAF is getting their value's worth out of Condor 2!
Image Image

jmurtari

Post by jmurtari » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:19 pm

Strawberrybacon (sounds tasty!)

Maybe we can help with a photo-realistic scenery of the area (not too big), 16-24 tiles? That could be done easily (FREE), separate of Airport structures.

As a bare minimum, I was looking into making a 1/albedo map of Ljungbyhed airport in Southern Sweden.

I'm not sure what 1/albedo means? There are some new downloads. I'd recommend checking the Harris Hill, Elmira, NY for what's reasonable to expect in the scenery look. https://www.SoaringTools.org/index.php/downloads/

There is also a complete tutorial there which several people have followed and completed sceneries.

Feel free to email me directly: john@murtari.org

Best regards!
John

strawberrybacon

Post by strawberrybacon » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:10 pm

Wow jmurtari! that would be fantastic!

I'm not entirely read up on the 1/albedo maps either. I know the condor team wants the maps to be of that kind of quality in order to keep the flying realistic. I still need to read up more on the topic (I guess @edb or someone else might know more. check this forum post out: viewtopic.php?t=18884)

In any event, it'd be amazing to get a fresh version of something like the southern sweden map for condor 1 going in condor 2! truly great.
here's the map for condor 1 for reference:

https://www.condor-club.eu/viewscenery/0/?id=139.

Talk to you soon,
Niclas
Image Image

johngfoster

Post by johngfoster » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:31 am

If someone is looking for a project to work on for another scenery, I would really appreciate one that included NW Montana and Idaho, particularly Glacier NP. I'm aware there is one available for Yellowstone NP, but that doesn't extend nearly far enough into the area I'd like to fly. At some point I'd like to introduce Condor to the local Boys & Girls Club, and give the kids the opportunity to fly the local mountains (Mission Mountains where I live). Thanks.

John

danpal

Post by danpal » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:20 pm

Bonjour,

Quand je débute une scène, ma première question combien de temps il va me falloir...

La base de mon calcul est le nombre de terragen(23.040kmx 23.040 km).

En suite le nombre d'aérodromes.

Enfin la qualité des textures (les retourches sont souvent longues)

Pour 300 terragens il me faut en moyenne de 1200 heures de travail.

Sinon rien d'impossible ,un peut de soins et beaucoup de persévérance .

Bien sûr notre équipe ( Condor café ) est une force.

Nous avons dans nos projets quelques scènes. Pour ma part : Colorado 360 terragen 50 airports.
(coordonnées sud/est environ 36.47 N 104.05 W) Et elle somnole.

Il y a également PNG_C2 300 Terragen et 50 airports.

objets 3D en cours.

Il y a aussi Saguenay_Quebec 300 terragen 80 airports (coordonnées sud/est environ44.687 N 69.821 W)

Je fabrique les terrains avec l'aide des pilotes de la régions (et c'est trop bien.)

Toutes ces scènes sont utilisable avec cartes thermiques et forets ect...

Elle seront a votre disposition sur le Condor Club dés que possible (dans un certain temps.)

En conclusion faire une scène n'est pas compliqué c'est chronophage . :mrgreen: :D

Hello,

When I start a scene, my first question is how long will it take me?

The basis of my calculation is the number of terragen(23.040kmx 23.040 km).

Then the number of aerodromes.

Finally the quality of the textures (the returns are often long).

For 300 terragens I need an average of 1200 hours of work.

Otherwise nothing impossible, a little care and a lot of perception.

Of course our team (Condor café) is a strength.

We have in our projects some scenes. For my part: Colorado 360 terragen 50 airports.
(Coordinates south/east approximately 36.47 N 104.05 W) And she sleeps.

There are also PNG_C2 300 Terragen and 50 airports.

3D objects in progress.

There is also Saguenay_Quebec 300 terragen 80 airports (south/east coordinates about 44.687 N 69.821 W).

I make the land with the help of the pilots of the region (and it's too good).

All these scenes can be used with thermal maps and forests etc...

They will be at your disposal on the Condor Club as soon as possible (in a certain time.)

In conclusion, making a scene is not complicated, it's time consuming. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

jmurtari

Post by jmurtari » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:36 pm

Folks,

We've put together some automated tools to make photo-realistic scenery creation a lot easier, quicker, and FREE.
No problem doing something for you around 5 x 6 tiles, 70 x 84 miles or 115 x 161 km. Very popular for local pattern training and learning landmarks. Usually takes about a week. Request form here -> https://www.SoaringTools.org/index.php/ ... your-club/

Something larger can also be done by you. There is a complete tutorial and we can walk you thru the steps.
Hope this helps.

John