create_landscape.py

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

drh

create_landscape.py

Post by drh » Sat May 02, 2020 10:25 am

For rendering a map of east Germany, I've automated most of the steps that are described in the Landscape Guide into a Python program:

https://github.com/flxhu/condor2#create_landscapepy

It is able to automatically generate the heightmap input from the USGS DEM data, texture tiles from a GeoTIFF DOP, and forests, water and thermal map from OpenStreetMap data. All three parts can be used independently.

As it does not cover 100% of the workflow, and needs a few clicks in LandscapeEditor and WaterAlpha, an understanding of the general workflow as described in the Landscape Guide is still required. But I think it can be a huge time saver if you want to generate a new Landscape.

jmurtari

Re: create_landscape.py

Post by jmurtari » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:27 pm

DRH,

Very interested in your tools and the ability to generate more accurate thermal maps. I help out at the https://SoaringTools.Org website. With the assistance of some others we were able to put together the tools and a tutorial for creating photo realistic landscape.

But, we are missing the part on thermal maps. Very interested in what you are doing with OpenStreetMap and you say the thermal tool can be used independently?

When you have time, please check out and see if we can make it fit. Would also be happy to host your tool there for folks who want the other type landscapes.

Best regards!
John

drh

Re: create_landscape.py

Post by drh » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:32 pm

Sorry for the late response, didn't spot the notification somehow.

Yes, while I put everything in one .py, the OSM rendering part for forests, water, thermals can be used independently from the terrain and tile generation.

Currently the thermal maps are a byproduct from forest and water rendering. You could split that further, which may improve resource usage somewhat.

You're welcome to link to the tools. Ideally you link to the github site, as that's where the documentation lives, and I expect people to do some tweaks.

I added a second tool to work with the .obj file (merging, filtering, etc) and create powerline tower and wind generator object positions from OSM data.