acces violation in landscapeEditor

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

Habichtmann

acces violation in landscapeEditor

Post by Habichtmann » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:25 pm

Hello to everybody out there,
I am a newbie in creating in sceneries in Condor. So I have downloaded the super "WestGermany3" scenery (thanks again to maddin) to try out how to creat an airfield, my own in Lindlar :wink: . First I studied the Condor Landscape guide by Jiri, paying attention for chapter 4. As I am considering all mentionend procedures are already done in an excisting TRN-file, like WestGermany3.trn is I tried to import it in the landscapeEditor, after several attemps to work on copys of it.
I was expecting to be able to see airports or heightinfos after related settings in the View/Modify toolbox but (first in the copied trn-files) nothing than the grey relief image and yellow grid and later in the original WG3.trn I clicked on hand icon and zoom out (right-click on scenery) first I got the result: "Canvas does not allow drawing" and finally an access violation info.
Access violation.jpg
I am afraid that both, a misunderstanding of the functionality of the landscapeEditor and technical issue, causes the problem.
What is wrong? Can you help me? Thank you in advance,
H

Btw I am missing a real existing tutorial file which allows first steps described in chapters 5, 6, 7 to just to edit an already existing scenery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wickid

Re: acces violation in landscapeEditor

Post by wickid » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:35 pm

You don't see textures because you are missing them in the "working/textures" directory. The landscape editor creates some dummy textures from the height files into a grayscale height map of the scenery when you open a scenery without textures in the working directory. Only Maddin91 has the original texture working directory. You can however copy the tiles from the scenery back into the working directory. They need to be in "bmp" format, not "dds". I recommend only copying the tiles you need in, otherwise loading times will be very long and you are very likely to run out of memory.
PH-1504, KOE

Habichtmann

Post by Habichtmann » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:08 pm

Hi Wickid, thanks for the quick reply and useful info. To be sure: What do you mean with "working directory". The Condor/Landscapes/WG3/Working/Textures file contains already all *.bmp files, all in grey are these the dummys?
working.jpg
:?:
salute; H
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wickid

Post by wickid » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:28 pm

Yes. They were created when you opened the landscape with the editor because you didnt't have a working directory before.

You can replace those with the dds textures from the Textures folder (WG3/textures), but they need to be converted from dds to bmp for the landscape editor to be able to use them.
PH-1504, KOE

Condorius

Post by Condorius » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:50 pm

Since I had the same problem today (since WG3 is so large and you open more than a few subtiles in the landscape editor, you will run out of memory and this error will appear), here is what I have done:

1. Note the coordiantes of the object/airport you want to add (for example via Google Maps)
2. Open the landscape editor and disable "draw textures" ( under "View" or F1) (because the textures of WG3, especially in UHD are by far to large to load at one time)
3. Only now open the landscape WG3, you won't see any textures yet!
4. You can zoom in with the hand symbol and a left click, you can zoom out with a right click
5. At the bottom you can see the coordiantes at the current mouse position, zoom in, so at most two sub-tiles (patches, the small squares, ensure that "draw patch grid" (F4) is enabled) are visible and your coordiantes from step 1. are within one of the sub-tiles.
6. Now at the bottom too, you can see the x and y coordiantes of the sub-tile (for example X=4 and Y=20. This means you need the texture named xxyy = 0420 or t0420.dds. If y is greater or equal 100 it will be xxyyy. For example x = 5 and y =108 would be t05108.dds. Alway fill zeros in for numbers with one digit). Convert the .dds in the textures folder (not the working/textures folder) to .bmp (it will have about 60MB in my case). For example with XnView Classic or online. Place that .bmp (if x = 4 and y=20 you converted t0420.dds to t0420.bmp) in the working/textures folder. All other files in that folder remains at is, eg. "small gray files". If there are no other files yet, don't worry. The landscape editor will do that for you.
7. Only now activate "draw textures" ( under "View" or F1). Your current view with one of two subtiles will appear as it should. Now you can zoom in totally and place you object/airport exactly.

Sorry for my english, I hope I could help.

Condorius

Post by Condorius » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:39 pm

Pictures_2

Condorius

Post by Condorius » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:40 pm

Pictures_3

Habichtmann

Post by Habichtmann » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:08 pm

Hi Condorius,
thanx for your support. I'll try out that. Yesterday I started to convert the dds-textures by DDSconverter but it is doing a crab job. 2/3 of the *.bmp results is rubbish and it is messing up the origine Texture-folder, see photo
dds_mess.jpg
to be contiued,
salute H

Habichtmann

Post by Habichtmann » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:09 pm

Yeap, that works :D
LE BergR 5859.jpg
Next step is to place a runway etc and follow procedures shown in chapter 5,6,7 in Jiri's Guide.
to be continued... 8)
:arrow: @ Forum moderators: Maybe it would be useful for other beginners in that kind of reediting to rename the topic? I propose:
"Reediting of scenery /access violation in landscapeEditor"

Habichtmann

Post by Habichtmann » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:59 am

Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooodmorning Condor :lol:
proceding this step in Chapter 5, p22 "
"Then select File > Export textures to DDS. For this function to work, we need to have nvdxt.exe from
Nvidia legacy texture tools placed in the same folder as LandscapeEditor.exe. Click Yes to confirm that the process may take some time and then No to create all the textures. Our landscape will be covered
with grey textures generated from the terrain features. Don’t worry, we will replace them in the next
chapter."

leads me to four Questions:
#1 Do I have to do that, because I haven't change textures yet, I only created the airport?
#2 If I do, will my landscape covered with grey textures as mentioned?
#3 I copied the nvdxt.exe from my program folder to LandscapeEditor, see photo.
nvdxt.jpg
Is that correct? Will it work, or does it need the other stuff from DDS Utilities too?
#4 Not sure about what LE can do, may I store the already executed procedures before this is done, or will this generate trouble at that time?
(p23, Now you can save your landscape again using File > Save landscape, close the Landscape Editor and
start Condor to enjoy the first flight on your own landscape. Congratulations!
)

Thank you for attention and get a coffee :)

Maddin91

Post by Maddin91 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:43 am

It would havd been much easier, if you just told us that you want Lindlar to be included in the Wishlist Thread and we surely would have done that in the first patch that just came out.

If you do it yourself, you will lose multiplayer compatibility, unless you duplicate the scenery folder, rename it and rename the main files in the same way. Then you have a version you can work on and a version you can still join multiplayer races with.

Anyways, I put Lindlar on my agenda for patch 2, so everybody has it. ;)
Martin L. | Reg: D-2101 | CN: MAL
Scenery producer - West Germany 3

wickid

Post by wickid » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:47 am

You don't need to export your textures unless you changed something in the texture. Airports you add are saved when just saving the landscape in the landscape editor.

If you only changed one texture I recommend using photoshop or Gimp to save it manually not via the landscape editor.
PH-1504, KOE

Habichtmann

Post by Habichtmann » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:42 pm

Hi Wicked,
thinking about what you said, I decided not to export textures to DDS, but I saved LE. Back in Condor weird things happened. The airfield Lindlar exists, but the gliders hadn't been controllable at all, neither on ground nor airborne but at least Lindlar looks beautiful :shock:
Shot222.jpg
So I reedited landscape by export textures to DDS, but some iritation came from Jiri's guide: "Then select File > Export textures to DDS. ... Click Yes to confirm that. the process may take some time and then No to create all the textures" I did so, also the terainhashexport, forestexport failed. Now the flightmodell of the glider was back, but all other tiles around me were disapeared and faded to grey.
Shot224.jpg
:cry:
I ve rebooted my PC and try to repeat foresthashexportation, but the process is still on while I am posting this (since half an hour) I think it is corrupt.
ProzessForestHashexport.jpg
I am also considering to export textures to DDS again, but this time with setting to Yes when I will be asked: only export the non-existing files?"
to be continued, thank you all again for the support :)

wickid

Post by wickid » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:34 pm

No control is because of missing FHA and THA files.

But I suggest you talk to Maddin91 who is the author of the scenery. He seems to have added it for you.
Maddin91 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:43 am
It would havd been much easier, if you just told us that you want Lindlar to be included in the Wishlist Thread and we surely would have done that in the first patch that just came out.

If you do it yourself, you will lose multiplayer compatibility, unless you duplicate the scenery folder, rename it and rename the main files in the same way. Then you have a version you can work on and a version you can still join multiplayer races with.

Anyways, I put Lindlar on my agenda for patch 2, so everybody has it. ;)
PH-1504, KOE

Habichtmann

Post by Habichtmann » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:38 pm

Hello Martin,
you are absolutely right, it would have been much easier, if I was entering the wishlist thread. If I knew :lol:
But on the other hand, our airfield offers some "special features" e.g. the runways are max. 200m long and only useful at the extremities of it, though it is about 1000ish meters long. And it must not flattened by the LE to respect RL conditions. Some nasty pilots from other clubs are considering our terrain as a out landing field: how can they dare :wink: http://www.lsv-lindlar.de/flugplatz/piloten/
Therefore I ask my self how to realize the two poles by the LE? As it is written in the G file -airport ground polygons chapter I could create two rectangles, situated in the poles position, but linked with a small strip and creating the grass object? No Idea if this works without flatten the terrain. But as I told already in the last post: It is a long way.....
If I was allowed to contribute to your great project (If I have a satisfying result one day) I would be very happy and the online compability would be safe.

But let me express how amazing it is fly in your vanilla version 1.0 above my region and I have a lot of fun to land "at home" and testing other "out landing fields". It is never too early. :lol:
Shot206 Position_Fahrwerk noch nicht ausgef&verr.jpg
Shot209 Queranflug.jpg
Abfangboden.jpg