acces violation in landscapeEditor

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

Habichtmann

Re: acces violation in landscapeEditor

Post by Habichtmann » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:12 pm

@ xavier
Once again, replacing the TP by the dialog box (tool) in OE had been in vain.
Cube_replaceTP.jpg
But if you do it directly via the text editor, then it works
Cube_replaceTPviaEditor.jpg
Cube_replaceTPviaEditor&voila.jpg
It remains a mystery...
Et parcque j'aime la langue: :mrgreen: une fois plus remplacer le TP par dialogue box n'a rien donné :x Par contre, modifier la texture directement en éditant la fiche.mtl par textéditeur, ça marche :D Mais pour moi c'est un énigme..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Habichtmann

Post by Habichtmann » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:18 pm

Andy1248 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:59 pm
I have found that when entering the texture path in Object Editor it is necessary to move the cursor away from the end of the line. If this is not done then as you say the path is not saved. No idea why this the case.
Hi Andy, I gave it another try, but I can't confirm what you said. Is it possible that it only happens on my computer????

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:57 pm

Don't forget to save to C3D... :wink:

Habichtmann

Post by Habichtmann » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:21 pm

EDB wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:57 pm
Don't forget to save to C3D... :wink:
Cube_replaceTPviaEditor2.jpg
that one right, EDB :idea: :wink: :mrgreen: ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:20 am

Well, Habitchmann,

For only one texture you can type directly the path, the name of the texture and its format. And put 1 or 0 in RGB etc... I only use for multiple Textures the tool "Add/replace textures paths" when I put my objects in an another scenery. I don't use the other tools Auto add or Sort, for different reasons.

Can you check in Wings 3D when you export your object the wavefront options.

Beware there is 2 Wavefront options dialog boxes with the same name.

These Wavefront options dialog boxes are displayed with:

File -> Export
and with
File -> Export selected

They have the same name, but their options can be different.

Normally the 2 dialog boxes must be configured like that if you want to bind the object and the textures.
WaveFront options.JPG
Do few tests please.
*****- Xavier - (XDL - VR FAN) *****

Habichtmann

Post by Habichtmann » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:39 pm

So did I, salut Xavier
my understanding gets better, but some Questions are remaining. By recreating the road cone and it's texture, first I made the material in the outline Window "external" after UV-mapping. Put the orange coulor on the new cone.bmp file, saving and hit "refresh" in the OW.
wings_make_ex&ref.jpg
Next step was to export it via "export to Wavefront.obj" (first option, only "export"). First I set the default texture file type to "bmp" and in a second go to "*.dds" in a different directory with "obj"-folders. The result is that the *.dds is not created there, the bmp (though already existing in "wings3d"-directory) neither. I find it weird that in the *.mtl file the entry pointing to the *.bmp remains instead of the newer *.dds :?:
wings_export_weird.jpg
I will have a look also to earlier mentioned condor assets objects with texture issues to get more experience. My general problem is that the intention in your guide how to create an airport is very complete and well done, even bilanguar, with 150 pages - again, thank yor a lot for that- but for my particular use it is sometimes ...sans être offensant...overwhelming ;-) On the other hand, tutorials on youtube are showing different applications and/or the procedures are done with older versions of Wings3d which are comming with different GUI. I even found Arabic and Russian tutorials, but pardon, that's too much for me :shock: ...so here comes trial & error :twisted:
:arrow: to be continued...

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:38 pm

Hum Habitchmann,

In your dialogbox Wavefront Export Option

the first case "One group per material" is not checked, so your export is not conform to what C3d need.

Only BMP or PNG work with obj files when you load the obj file in Object Editor.

Note that PNG is as good as DDS.

But when you are in Object editor you can change with DDs or TGA the texture if it had the same UV map.
You can also change the size of the texture in the directory.

Sometimes, in Object Editor after loading the Obj file the display of your object remain black.

Save in C3d with the correct parameters (path and colorsetting)

and reload your object in C3d.

Good continuation

Habichtmann

Post by Habichtmann » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:20 pm

ah, mince :oops:
that's very true, I don't now why it is unchecked and I didn't take care. I remember that it is very important. Yesterday in my latenight testings I checked this Option.
Wurfel_Wings2.jpg
au travail :arrow:

Habichtmann

Post by Habichtmann » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:18 pm

Xavier wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:38 pm

Sometimes, in Object Editor after loading the Obj file the display of your object remain black.

Save in C3d with the correct parameters (path and colorsetting)

and reload your object in C3d.

Good continuation
This works for the condor assets birch partially - it makes it at least white:
Birch_S_2_c3d_reopen_as_3cd.JPG
the error here seems to be that the TP is pointing to a *.tga images, while they are *.dds. But with this method I couldn't solve the problem.
Birch_S_2_c3d_reopen_as_3cd_2.JPG
:idea: I had to delete the existing c3d file first and then .....HOOOOOOOOOOOORAYYYYYY :D
Delete that first bevor recreating a c3d.file.jpg
In that way I managed for the first time to edit the TP in OE 8) I checked the *.mtl file, which hasn't change since made a copy from the birch folder, no entry changes have occured, the are still related to the *.tga and *.jpeg, but hey, it works.
Merci beaucoup :D :D :D

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:33 pm

That is fine ! :wink:
Happy that you have solved your issues!

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:03 pm

Hi Habitchmann,

Only to point another difficulty with Object Editor.

If you change a parameter when editing a c3d object in Object Editor, when you save your object, you must type after "object_name" the format that is ".c3d". That is: "Object_name.c3d".

If you don't type ".c3d" the modified object will not be a c3d object even if it looks like a c3d object.
And the initial c3d object will remain as is until you erase it.

Adding the suffix ".c3d" will permit to erase the initial object automatically and it will be replaced by the modified object with the same name.

All this stuff had been told in my booklet about Airports (p 126, English version). Yes, I know that it is a little bit overwhelming but, there are very few unnecessary words.

Have a nice deep reading.

Habichtmann

Post by Habichtmann » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:42 pm

Hello Everybody, salut Xavier,
thank you a lot for the hint, I have checked that first before I wanted to point out another problem. The *.c3d ending is sat automatically in the saving dialogue, but true, I deleted that with intention and later one it is looking like a *.c3d, as you were telling.
automatic c3dending.jpg
But, helas, une fois de plus je suis coincé au mort, though I did deep, deep reading :wink:
I created a Hangar and an Washing box by wings3d. Following your instructions to put one (or more) image(s) using the snapimagetool to the concerned faces of the objects, I can see these pics correctly pinned on them. Then I do the UV-mapping; in the "AutoUV Segmenting Window I click "Segment by" -> L/G on "Projection and, new R/D in the "AutoUV Segmentington bring up the context menu. L/G on "Continue" -> L/G -> "Projection Normal". Now the pics, pinned on the faces before, will disappear depending on in which order and /or selection of faces I have executed in many different variations that procedure. I think here is the problem, but I go on to "draw texture" according to the settings 1024 x1024, draw faces, draw edges, OK. Then export to wavefront.obj with "one group per material" and png format settings. This is what i get from the OE:
texture missing.jpg
texture missing_wings.jpg
What do I wrong this time?
amicalement, H

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:24 am

Sorry Habitchmann,

You must read again my booklet about airport creation:

- Condor 2 objects (pp. 13 to 15) and focus on Landscapes Objects, figures 10 and 11, and read carefully the Notes on the figure.

- And read again Snap Image pp. 81 to 83 and focus on the last paragraph just after figure 97.

More explanations:

When you snap an Image you create in "Outliner" a new material bound to your photo, it is a texture. If you snap a second image, it is a second texture, etc. And your object must be treated as a Landscape object and not as a Scene Object with only one texture.
For each snapped images you do not have to make a UV map over faces which are snapped with photos, because the UV mapping is already made when you snap your Image.
If you make a UV map on a snapped face of your object, you create a new material and a new texture and the binding between your image and the face is lost.

Cool isn't it

Habichtmann

Post by Habichtmann » Sat May 02, 2020 2:43 pm

Xavier wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:24 am
When you snap an Image you create in "Outliner" a new material bound to your photo, it is a texture. If you snap a second image, it is a second texture, etc. And your object must be treated as a Landscape object and not as a Scene Object with only one texture.
For each snapped images you do not have to make a UV map over faces which are snapped with photos, because the UV mapping is already made when you snap your Image.
If you make a UV map on a snapped face of your object, you create a new material and a new texture and the binding between your image and the face is lost.
Well, thank you for your further information, that lead me to an idea: :idea: I made a copy for each side of the object =5 (bottom is a hole), and each copy e.g. for the front side consits only one face all the others had been eliminated. Via snapimage tool an image was pinned on it, and I did that for every face.con. I am not sure if this the orthodox way is like.
Triumph&Agony_front.JPG
Triumph: Finally it worked! 8)
Xavier wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:24 am
Cool isn't it
Agony: It only has worked for exact 3 times :cry: :evil:
I have repeated the procedure with different objects, different images sizes, formats, export options etc. I have pointed the TP to different locations. I grabbed the net for solutions and watched tons of tutorials but there's is no way to repeat the success of the left side of the photos :|
Triumph&Agnony.jpg
Triumph&Agnony_WingsB.jpg
Feel welcome, guys....

Habichtmann

Post by Habichtmann » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:02 pm

Hello everybody, yes it has been a long time, but at least not in vain. I managed to create everything what I wanted to do. After the snap image failure, I did it in the standard UV-Mapping way in Wings3D.
If it is appreciated I could upload a variation of *.Obj like Farmhouses, ordinary Houses and more to the asset library, but I don't know how.
Here are some results. Thank you all for your support :D :D :D