Dual 90° runways

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

JeffSmith

Dual 90° runways

Post by JeffSmith » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:57 pm

How does one go about defining an airport with two runways, 90° from each other?
I see the close proximity of the middle points posing a problem for selection in the task planner.
Would you treat them as separate airports and give them different names?
It would be handy if we could define sloping runways too.
Cheers Jeff

MrHerisson

Re: Dual 90° runways

Post by MrHerisson » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:59 pm

JeffSmith wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:57 pm
It would be handy if we could define sloping runways too.
Cheers Jeff
Don't know nothing about making airports but Courchevel in AA2 scenery has a sloped rwy

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:38 pm

JeffSmith wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:57 pm
How does one go about defining an airport with two runways, 90° from each other?
I see the close proximity of the middle points posing a problem for selection in the task planner.
Would you treat them as separate airports and give them different names?
You already gave yourself the answer...
Only if the center-points of the runways are separated enough you can make different Condor takeoff runways. Usually they aren't. Only on very large airports. And ICAO_15L-195R could be a name. The ICAO of the airport and the directions of the runway and maybe even Left, right, center...

I'd say, don't do it.

PS
I haven't seen many gliders on an international airport either...

JeffSmith

Post by JeffSmith » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:49 pm

El Mirador in the Drakensberg has a sloping runway too.
When trying to simulate the exact airport conditions, the problem is that when you have to flatten the runway to match the height file parameters you end up with a high wall at one end which makes a hazard for the tow pilots. :shock: Winch launching takes care of these issues. :)
Regarding the dual airstrip issue I have three to construct on my new landscape, and they are actual Club / Private type airstrips.

JeffSmith

Post by JeffSmith » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:07 am

I've experimented a bit with this and it works. You just have to zoom in 3x when you set up your task.
I named the N-S runway as the name of the airport, and used the first letter and added 2 for the second name.
That way it keeps the map looking tidier e.g. Bristol N-S would be called Bristol and Bristol E-W would be called B2.
It's a nice option to have because you can select between the two airstrips to face more into the wind.
Check out the Draak V3 Landscape, which has six airports with double airstrips.
Cheers Jeff

Rodolfo

Post by Rodolfo » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:52 am

There’s an easier way having just a single airport, as long as you’re Ok with always taking off from just one of the runways. Take a look at this video:

https://youtu.be/dxdtPvSAKmI

Basically, what you do is stretch two segments away from the main runway to form the second one. Condor will see this as a single runway/airport and that’s why you will always takeoff from the same one, though you should be able to land on either.

JeffSmith

Post by JeffSmith » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:56 am

The whole point of having multiple runways is to have the option
to pick the most suitable takeoff runway for facing the task's oncoming wind direction.
If you flatten the whole airport like one should, you can land anywhere.
The one airport I did for Draak V3 has three runways, but I only chose
the two at the greatest angle from each other, to select for takeoff.

See https://www.condor-club.eu/viewscenery/0/?id=358

Cheers Jeff