Smoke?

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

KipperUK

Smoke?

Post by KipperUK » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:56 pm

I know Condor is under constant development (would love to see the roadmap), but I have a question.

Would it be possible to designate smoke sources (ideally in the landscape editor) so that chimneys could work or even replicate small fires that get periodically set off when people are burning heather etc. In real life, smoke is an excellent tell for things like wind strength and direction as well as just making the scenery more dynamic.

It would be a bonus if you could designate areas where occasionally (a % chance) there might be a small fire within a set area...

...and if you could tie in smoke to a guaranteed thermal source/strength... you can get abnormally strong lift from some industrial complexes, sometimes....

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: Smoke?

Post by EDB » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:50 pm

That's not possible.

And it would give the landscape builder an advantage. So a bad idea...

Currently many cooltowers are restrited airspace anyway...

wickid

Post by wickid » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:51 pm

Although i like your idea, it will probably not make it.

There are enough problems to get scenery creators to use all the features Condor has now. Most landscapes are just a heightmap with textures on them. Most are not even calibrated propperly.

Thinks like dynamic water, airports, 3d objects, forrest maps and thermal maps are not used in I guess 90% of sceneries which is a real shame.
PH-1504, KOE

KipperUK

Post by KipperUK » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:56 pm

I can see how a scenery author might be able to abuse that system; but maybe the answer would just be to have it automatically toggle off in serious multiplayer competitions. The idea was actually more about how things should look rather than the nice-to-have lift properties. Currently everything is a bit static and the real soaring environment has more going on.

So what kinds of plans are there to take the Condor platform forward as a soaring sim?

wickid

Post by wickid » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:06 pm

I don't know. Uros and OXO are the Condor team. They decide what they add to Condor.

The usual policy is only to release news when something is ready. There have been many complaints in the past when stuff was announced and then delayed. They work in their own spare time on Condor.
PH-1504, KOE

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:15 am

KipperUK wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:56 pm
So what kinds of plans are there to take the Condor platform forward as a soaring sim?

The plan is to keep improving it and fixing bugs. Both Uros and I have our preferred "next features", and they dont always coincide. :)

As Wiek says, we don't release plans at all.. some are shared with the Beta Team, but not with the general community. This is because when we've done that in the past we get endless complaints about when it will be ready.

We do read the forums of course, and sometimes comment. Suggestions are considered.

We have both been hard at Condor these last 4 years, and with the release of 2.0.5 we shall be taking it a bit easier in 2019. Really, its time for the landscape authors to catch up :mrgreen:
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

KipperUK

Post by KipperUK » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:27 pm

I personally think that a few environmental touches to provide a bit more movement or variation in the landscape would add a lot; for example the aforementioned smoke out of chimneys that moved with the wind, the odd bird of prey in the strongest of thermals, or flock of birds - would just make the world feel more alive.