Terrain mesh

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

maymar

Terrain mesh

Post by maymar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:31 pm

Why terrain mesh looks different in Condor than set in Landscape Editor?

River looks like is not flattened and there's no cliff (change terrain from 109 to 115 m) - someone can explain it?

wickid

Re: Terrain mesh

Post by wickid » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:37 pm

I think the terrain gets interpolated between points. So the terrain gets smoothed out between heightpoints. It makes sense to do this because otherwise the terrain would be blocks. Vertical cliffs are impossible.
PH-1504, KOE

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:15 am

bluefang

Post by bluefang » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:27 am

So I get that the vertex data imported into Condor 2 is used as control points for spline/curve based rendering. I don't think that in and of itself is the problem... I think the problem is that you can't edit these vertices (control points) once imported into Condor.

The problem I have with this is that I can not faithfully reproduce the runway slope of my local airport. If I had the ability to move individual vertices (in 3D space), I think this would be of great help. If I had the ability to move individual vertices while also editing the spline control vectors - that would be most optimal.

Regardless, Condor is a 3D application. And those of us developing landscapes could really use some more fine-tuned height map editing features. PLEASE! Not only for sloped runways, but it would greatly help in creating realistic looking ponds and lakes that are often found at the end of runways. Creating lips on these ponds and lakes is really difficult with the current tools.

Get my scenery on condor.club: RDU-USA (Raleigh/Durham area of NC)

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:33 am

You can't have sloped runways in Condor currently.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

maymar

Post by maymar » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:42 pm

So when Condor interpolating terrain mesh why we cant have this same option in LE to check hows really terrain will looks like? Something like button "Show Condor terrain mesh" against landscape editor mesh.

bluefang

Post by bluefang » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:42 am

OXO wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:33 am
You can't have sloped runways in Condor currently.
I understand this... I am simply asking (begging) for this to be added... A feature request, per se. The point I was trying to make is that sloped runways would be much easier to implement if we could modify (move) the height map vertices in the Landscape Editor.

I am compiling a list of feature requests that would greatly help us scenery designers. Things like:

The editing tools in the Landscape Editor are kinda wonky. Why not standardize on the panning/zooming actions to some mouse / keyboard shortcut - something like the scroll wheel for zooming and middle-mouse button down for panning. Or even use the Photoshop shortcut of the spacebar for panning and the scroll wheel for zooming. ANYTHING but... having to switch to a specific "tool" for panning and zooming.

Also, there is no need to have separate tools for "select" and "move". As it is now, to select an object you have to chose the Arrow (or select tool). Then to move the object, you have to choose the Move tool. This is weird, totally inefficient, and non-standard. There is no need to have two separate tools. A click should select and object - a click and drag should move the object. Even if the Landscape Editor is using some old-school library like MFC - you can easily differentiate between click and click and drag.

Looking forward to the future. New gliders are fun, but better tools are "funner". :)

Get my scenery on condor.club: RDU-USA (Raleigh/Durham area of NC)