Advice for making a smooth sloped runway?

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

bluefang

Advice for making a smooth sloped runway?

Post by bluefang » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:02 am

I am struggling to get a smoothly sloped runway. The srtm data was a bit off, so I tried using the smoothing tool in the Landscape Editor, however this resulted in lots of "pimple-like" mini hills on the runway. I could not get a smooth sloped surface. The real runway has about 10 meters of slope from one end of the runway to the other.

I then tried to just flatten the entire runway out, again using the smooth tool, and now it is super bumpy - both the tow plane and the glider are jumping all over the place on take off - and also the tow plane's wheels are clipping into the surface.

Note that I have not yet created any airport objects (the G and O objects) - it is just the base height map and image texture. My understanding is that the runway G object is not the actual poly that the planes interact with - is that correct?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Get my scenery on condor.club: RDU-USA (Raleigh/Durham area of NC)

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: Advice for making a smooth sloped runway?

Post by EDB » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:37 pm

Make the flattened area bigger.

bluefang

Post by bluefang » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:00 am

I assume sloped runways are not possible in Condor?

I finally got a somewhat smooth sloped surface, however the tow plane does not seem to use the terrain polys at all - while my glider does, but it is still bouncing all over the place.

When taking off uphill, the tow plane clips into the surface like crazy... see attached screen shots...

If sloped runways are supported and I am doing something wrong, would love some ideas how to implement them. If sloped runways are not supported, would love to have this feature, as I am hoping to use Condor as a teaching tool and my home airport has a pretty gnarly sloped runway.
Shot7.jpg
Shot6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bluefang

Post by bluefang » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:01 am

Ono more with bad clipping...
Shot8.jpg

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:46 am

Condor runways are flat only.

bluefang

Post by bluefang » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:24 pm

EDB wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:46 am
Condor runways are flat only.
Darn. That's a bummer.

Hopefully this is something that can be addressed in the future.

ebkollgaard

Post by ebkollgaard » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:40 pm

The runway at Megeve in Jura_Mont Blanc scenery is not level. The actual airstrip has a 10% up slope. Apparently to simulate this the runway has two levels connected by a slope. Makes it difficult to land.
Eric Kollgaard