North UK2

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

KipperUK

Re: North UK

Post by KipperUK » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:51 pm

Not sure whether you'll be able to add these to existing north UK landscape without regenerating hashes and all that, but as I have created them for my own use - I thought I'd share. They can live in the 'North-UK' landscape directory (will need renaming to take off -Real probably).

I've included a .cup file for real gliding turnpoints for the full area, and a .tdm file which I believe is the thermal map, with properly marked areas for water/forest/urban.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:04 pm

A test version (0.90) of North-UK2 is avaliable for download from my Google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sjXds78tp2

Download is in 4 7zip archive files (.001 to .004, 2.98gb download).
Download all four files and then open the .001 with 7zip. The archive will open into a "North-UK2" folder which can be copied and pasted to your Condor Landscapes folder. 18.9gb unzipped.

It has an accurate Thermal Map, Trees, Water effects and some 3D modelled airfields Skelling Farm and Sutton Bank (from KipperUK).

I still have most of the airfields still to 3D model so will be some time before the scenery is available to download from Condor Club.

Until then anyone interested can download and try the test version. Any comments, errors or suggested improvements are welcome.

Some screenshots:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Condor CN = E20

KipperUK

Post by KipperUK » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:04 pm

Look forward to trying it later; My efforts somewhat stalled due to having a child this summer - but I’ll happily contribute some more 3D objects.

I have a Humber bridge, Bilsdale mast, Allerton Incinerator and Yorkminster already done....

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:22 pm

Very welcome. Can you upload to OXO's airfield project server?
Condor CN = E20

KipperUK

Post by KipperUK » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:50 pm

I had a quick look and it looks like you've done a great job with the trees and water; did you do it all manually? If so, wow.... if not, how? There didn't appear to be trees where they were just used as field boundaries etc, but having had a stab at doing them myself, I absolutely could not blame you for not going into that much detail!!

Sutton Bank isn't right (but it's passable); the windsock is in the wrong place (on the approach to 06) - and it should be on the circular clubhouse roof, and I have a working file with it all positioned correctly which I'm more than happy to share in case the version I have posted above is out of date. The second runway also looks really odd, but that's appears to be because it's been flattened out - making the terrain behind it look really hilly. In reality, the long run is sloped down towards 24/white horse and I realise Condor doesn't really support that - hence it uses 24/06 which is actually flat. 20/02 would be landable on Condor, I guess you just wouldn't be able to start there because the tug plane would not like it. Some of the cliffs should be more shear, but I've tried to do that and I don't think Condor landscape editor is able to reproduce it properly. You'd need to be able to edit the mesh directly.

Turnpoints - You should use the .cup file I have included a few posts up - they are the official BGA TP'sfor the whole region of the map and they are the ones we use for competitions or local tasking; places like Tontine and Guisborough SW are popular ridge running tasks. Given the lack of airspace restrictions in the Simulator, we could add some more 'unofficial' TP's around Leeds as it's quite an interesting area that's class A in real life so we can't soar there.

Can't comment on the thermal map although I did wonder whether stitching all the tiles together, reducing it down and making that greyscale would work for photorealistic scenery - in theory that would mean dark fields and dark urban areas / roads should be more productive, but it's hard to actually tell how that would pan out in the game. The one I made for my own version was very roughly done based on the OS map - and I can not tell whether that's any good or not either.

I think you should upload this as is and let people get on with exploring it, and just add updates for airfields and other structures as they can be done - I assume the 'Condor Updater' program would ensure everyone gets the latest patches.

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:32 pm

I am currently updating my UK sceneries because of the comments made on this forum about quality of sceneries. This means that they now have trees, water effects, thermal map and 3d airfield detail.

The tree and water has been added by downloading osm data in layers for the scenery area in QGIS. The layers are then exported from QGIS using the atlas function within the print out. The atlas print function will output the selected layers in 8192 X 8192 pixel squares. If output as a Png file the auto landscape tool of 'HeroicLemon' an be used to create the forest tiles. See this link:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=18847&sid=ecd10e01 ... 5c4dbffe4a

This link also has the instructions for the QGIS print output atlas grid function.

Water effect squares can exported from the QGIS, print, atlas function as an 8192 X 8192 bmp and then using Jbr water alpha tool to create the water effects.

The downside of this extra content within the scenery is a massive increase in the scenery file size. I suppose that if some Condor users insist in this higher level of scenery detail then they must have the disc space to hold it.

The thermal map was created from osm map for the scenery area with the grey scale created as per Jbr scenery guide.

Adding airfield and 3d detail takes a long time and I am currently working on that aspect within South East UK3 scenery. I have made both North and South sceneries available in test form because it will still be some time before they are ready for CC.

Many thanks for your interest and feedback, I will amend Sutton Bank as much as possible within Condor limits and use your very welcome files.

I did mean to change the cup file with your version but it got missed out at the last minute when creating the test version zip files.
Condor CN = E20

KipperUK

Post by KipperUK » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:25 pm

Well it seems to have worked really quite well for the areas that I flew over!

It really does make a massive difference - and every effort to improve the sceneries is greatly appreciated.

Not only does it look better but for purposes of teaching or brushing up on field landing skills you need some obstacles and tight fields!

KipperUK

Post by KipperUK » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:49 pm

I've uploaded some c3d objects with textures to the airfield server with a file telling you where in the world they belong.

Let me know what you think.

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:06 pm

Many thanks, look good. They will be in the CC version (if not in the next updated test version).
Condor CN = E20

KipperUK

Post by KipperUK » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:40 pm

Added some wind turbines; 195m, 150m and 120m - These seem to be the sizes of modern UK turbines.

I think 195m ones are offshore, but I'm not sure. Maybe try the 150m ones on shore.

The models aren't very good, I made large one in under an hour and scaled them down a bit - but since the scale should be about right, the object files should be easy to replace with an updated model later.

I haven't seen how they look in Condor - would appreciate a screenie.

My next jobs will be buildings for Pocklington, Rufforth and Burn clubs.

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:06 am

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Condor CN = E20

KipperUK

Post by KipperUK » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:00 pm

I've added models for the Pocklington buildings - untextured because I don't really go there ... Could do with some proper photos.

The clubhouse, workshop and hangars are present but the area around them will need caravans, cars, and parked gliders adding.

Their launchpoint is a bus, I haven't added it.

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:45 pm

Many thanks, North UK update is next on my list. South East UK3 coming along fine.
Condor CN = E20

KipperUK

Post by KipperUK » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:14 pm

Any chance this can be uploaded as an official landscape, suggest it becomes North-UK v2.00 so that there’s no confusion and it can be incremented as new objects are added?

Our club is now using for regular racing on a Thursday night and it’s working well.

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:21 pm

Have released scenery in haste onto Condor Club in the past with errors that have required patches, it is not something that I want to repeat.
I can understand your enthusiasm in using the Condor Club for your events but I will only make the scenery available when I am happy with it.

That said I will endeavour to get North UK 2 completed as soon as possible.
Condor CN = E20