West UK

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

Andy1248

Re: West UK

Post by Andy1248 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:10 pm

The map being displayed on Condor updater is from West-UK which is Condor 1 scenery and therefore would not be compatible with the Condor 2, West-UK2 scenery.

Not sure why, but the download and install should not be affected.

EDIT Yes it is the map on the scenery information screen that causes the error. I have downloaded and installed OK with the Condor Updater.
Condor CN = E20

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Mon May 11, 2020 5:27 pm

I have been requested to make some additions to the West-UK2 scenery.

Brent Tor have supplied some additional objects for their site.

The Staffordshire Gliding Club have noted that they have been missed of the scenery (Ooops!).

I have also added 3 more airfields to the scenery.

So a patch to modify the scenery is in the pipeline. So here is an opportunity for other additions or corrections to be made.

Therefore if any Gliding Clubs/users have some mods or suggestions for mods then please let me know.

If you have then please contact me by PM.
Condor CN = E20

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Tue May 19, 2020 12:23 pm

Andy1248 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:10 pm
The map being displayed on Condor updater is from West-UK which is Condor 1 scenery and therefore would not be compatible with the Condor 2, West-UK2 scenery.

Not sure why, but the download and install should not be affected.

EDIT Yes it is the map on the scenery information screen that causes the error. I have downloaded and installed OK with the Condor Updater.
On condor club, West Uk and West UK2 are shown on the map as being Condor 2 sceneries. Is this correct Andy?

https://www.condor-club.eu/sceneriesmap/0/?version=2
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:26 pm

Yes they are both Condor 2 sceneries.
Shortly after West UK was released I was requested to extend the size of the scenery to enable Wales to be accessed from gliding sites such as Camphill and Dunstable. Thus West-UK2 was created.

On a side note during lockdown I have created a new scenery called South-UK which is both West-UK2 and South East UK3 merged into one scenery. It is quite big (23 tiles wide) and is pushing the limits of Landscape Editor which is preventing me to load the textures in LE to view the scenery (oh! for a 64 bit LE). Not sure at this stage if I will pursue this onto a release version. But has been an interesting project which may have potential for some good South UK tasking. You could potentially fly from Anglesey, cross the UK, dodge the London ATZ, cross the coast at Dover and land in the North France coast.

EDIT - I have even thought about merging Scotland and North UK. Not sure if this feasible as yet.
Condor CN = E20

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:51 pm

Update patch now available on Condor Club.
Condor CN = E20

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:03 pm

Andy1248 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:26 pm
On a side note during lockdown I have created a new scenery called South-UK which is both West-UK2 and South East UK3 merged into one scenery. It is quite big (23 tiles wide) and is pushing the limits of Landscape Editor which is preventing me to load the textures in LE to view the scenery (oh! for a 64 bit LE). Not sure at this stage if I will pursue this onto a release version. But has been an interesting project which may have potential for some good South UK tasking. You could potentially fly from Anglesey, cross the UK, dodge the London ATZ, cross the coast at Dover and land in the North France coast.

EDIT - I have even thought about merging Scotland and North UK. Not sure if this feasible as yet.
I have continued to work on this quite large scenery. Attached is coverage map. As stated above it is a merge of West UK and South East UK. So all of the Southern half of the UK (not including Northern Ireland).

My question is, shall I continue to work on this to a release version? Is there an interest in a this scenery? Using the tools from Bre901 for merging airports and objects (many thanks Bre901) this merge of sceneries is very practical.

I have also merged Scotland and North UK which does include NI. Once again would this be worth working towards release?

If yes I will open a new UK scenery thread to record progress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Condor CN = E20

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:39 pm

2021 Update.

I would be interested if there is any interest/demand for what I proposed above. The work has progressed to a point where a release version for each scenery is possible. However no point if if no interest in having a large sceneries on your PC.
Condor CN = E20

jy1

Post by jy1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:18 pm

Andy - I would say yes, this would allow the bigger tasks we all enjoy and strive to in RL - Many thanks for the superb work and input you are doing

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:38 pm

Thanks John, having got as far as I have, despite the remaining work to do I would like to see these two sceneries out there. This re-interest in the suspended sceneries is in part from a request to add Weston-on-the-Green to West UK2. The new South UK will include this and save issuing a patch. In addition my previous lazy airfield building with objects scattered here and there with the resultant fps hit can be corrected with proper object folders for each airfield.

A lot of work, the sceneries will not look much different to what you have now but bigger. They can also be basis for future enhancements.

Anyway I will create a new UK Scenery thread with the details of the proposed sceneries.

It would help to have a 64 bit Landscape Editor :D

Edit - If anyone would like to take over making UK scenery or could do a better job then me, then you are very welcome.
Condor CN = E20

MDE

Post by MDE » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:30 pm

I have also merged Scotland and North UK which does include NI. Once again would this be worth working towards release
I for one would certainly be interested. It would open up quite a lot of possibilities.
BTW I’ve only really started doing a bit of virtual flying (although I played with the original condor some years ago) out of frustration with not being able to do the real thing. I’m very impressed with the quality of the North UK scenery. Just flew into Rufforth and the buildings are very realistic (but sadly missing the friendly people).
Thanks
Mark

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:48 pm

Patch to version 1.2 which adds Weston-on-the-Green to the West-UK2 scenery is now available for download/update on Condor Club.

NOTE - Ideally use the Condor Updater for an easy update. :D
Condor CN = E20

KipperUK

Post by KipperUK » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:50 pm

Whether Scotland should be Merged with North-UK is probably one for the Scottish pilots; as the usual tasks from North England go south (or at least not too much further north than the existing limit of that scenery).

Do the Scots (who aren't playing in the wave) generally head south into England I wonder?

I've not been very successful with wave flying in Condor - it's suggested that it ought to be possible to fly the wave system from the peak district (Camphill) right up into Scotland on a good day. I don't know if it's been done - but that would then be something for people to try in a simulation at least!

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:22 pm

Interested too.

The only annoying thing is a limit of 7 penalty zones. On a long flight far more may be needed to account for airspace / restricted zones etc.

I've been dabbling and I manually edited an FPL to have 16 penalty zones and it didn't like it at all. I then tried 9 thinking it might just not like double digits but that didn't work either :?
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:09 pm

Paul_UK wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:22 pm
Interested too.

The only annoying thing is a limit of 7 penalty zones. On a long flight far more may be needed to account for airspace / restricted zones etc.

I've been dabbling and I manually edited an FPL to have 16 penalty zones and it didn't like it at all. I then tried 9 thinking it might just not like double digits but that didn't work either :?
As far as I remember, the limit is 8, numbered from 0 to 7 (had to take a serious look at that when adding the PZs in CoTaCo)
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:05 pm

You are correct BRE. I realised this after posting but didn't bother coming back to edit. Hence I tried 16 and then 9 as the 9 was only one extra.

When you try to add more PZ it looks like they all start to datum from one point on the task map. It all looks rather funky!
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....