West UK

Moderators: Uros, OXO, JBr

davesalmon

Re: West UK

Post by davesalmon » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:19 pm

Can everyone see Camphill, a bit West of Shefffield, in this scenery please? It is supposed to be there but is not visible on my map. It appears in the .apt file, but not in the .cup file.
Dave

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:50 pm

It's not just Camphill missing. Birmingham, Upavon and Fairford are too. Basically anything on the far eastern side of the scenery, like Condor can't see past a certain Longitude. I can see the airports in the scenery editor but they do not show in Condor. I've no idea why, Andy will know I'm sure :mrgreen:
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

BeastFromTheEast

Post by BeastFromTheEast » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:04 am

Really looking forward to taking this scenery for a spin ..... downloading in progress as I type :)

Ian
You can take the Beast from the East
But never the East from the Beast
Beastly Soaring - Tuesday nights, on the ServerOfTheBeast
Competition number IFC, aircraft registration number G-CHQR

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:57 am

Paul_UK wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:50 pm
It's not just Camphill missing. Birmingham, Upavon and Fairford are too. Basically anything on the far eastern side of the scenery, like Condor can't see past a certain Longitude. I can see the airports in the scenery editor but they do not show in Condor. I've no idea why, Andy will know I'm sure :mrgreen:
Yes they probaly are too close to the edge of the scenery. There is a limit that Condor lets you get to the edge. It is a bit odd as the Condor Landscape Editor lets me place the airfields there. Two options here:

1 Remove the airfields from the V1 issue version.

2. Redo the whole scenery.

Option 1 is most likely, sorry Dave.

Latest Edit - I have managed to extend the scenery by 23 km to the East, this will enable Camphill to be flyable. Enjoy Ver0.91 it may be a while till V1.
Condor CN = E20

davesalmon

Post by davesalmon » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:16 pm

That is great Andy, thanks very much. Do we need to download everything again?
Dave

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:40 pm

Not yet, still working on it. Extending by 23km was possible by using QGIS and exact UTM coordinates. However renaming all the textures files is taking a while. It may be a complete new download.
Condor CN = E20

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:20 pm

Andy1248 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:57 am
Yes they probaly are too close to the edge of the scenery. There is a limit that Condor lets you get to the edge. It is a bit odd as the Condor Landscape Editor lets me place the airfields there. Two options here:

1 Remove the airfields from the V1 issue version.

2. Redo the whole scenery.

Option 1 is most likely, sorry Dave.

Latest Edit - I have managed to extend the scenery by 23 km to the East, this will enable Camphill to be flyable. Enjoy Ver0.91 it may be a while till V1.
I had a quick read of the manual and found the statement about nothing being flyable in the edge 5km of a scenery. Kudos to you for extending the scenery Andy. I read on in the manual and thought my that's a going to be a whole lot of work to get the eastern airfields flyable.

Great scenery though Andy. I have had a few flights flying the Black Mountains and also buzzing the top of Snowdon using it :mrgreen:
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:13 pm

Screenshots?

You do some great screenies!
Condor CN = E20

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm

I'll snap some next time I'm flying! :mrgreen: I was too busy enjoying the scenery on those flights.

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:28 pm

West UK modification is coming on fine. I still have some airfields to flatten (sounds a bit warlike). 23km has been added to the Eastern side. Camphill is now flyable. I might even be able to fit in some extra airfields providing that there are not too close to the edge!

As Condor numbers all the texture squares from the bottom right hand corner, adding a new 23km strip to the right hand side required that all the existing textures (3732 of them) had to be renumbered. This process ensured that the old textures fitted in the right place on the new terrain grid.

What this means is that I cannot make a simple patch for the additional 23km. What is needed is that for those who want the upgraded scenery will have to download the entire scenery again.

I will shortly remove the existing West-UK from my Google Drive and when the revised scenery is finished it will be uploaded. This process will take quite a while as my upload speed is only 1mb/sec.

I will post here on the forum when the revised scenery is ready for download, until then here is Camphill screenshot and the new area map Just getting the edge of the Isle of Wight in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Condor CN = E20

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:36 pm

If you'd added 2 rows, you could have Bicester and Hinton!
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

davesalmon

Post by davesalmon » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Well done Andy, thank you. Pity about the Blanik though, we fly Puchacz and K13s'. Never could understand why they chose the Blanik for V2, I haven't seen one for 40 years, it's certainly not a typical training glider in the UK, and I would guess not anywhere in western Europe .

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:54 pm

davesalmon wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:29 pm
Well done Andy, thank you. Pity about the Blanik though, we fly Puchacz and K13s'. Never could understand why they chose the Blanik for V2, I haven't seen one for 40 years, it's certainly not a typical training glider in the UK, and I would guess not anywhere in western Europe .
Global market and whilst in the UK we haven't seen them there are many still flying I believe. For us UK folk it would have been nice to have had the K13 brought over from V1 for training purposes. I think the K21 stands more chance of making it into V2 than the K13 though.

For those that think flying in the UK might not be as nice as say the Alps here are a few screenshots I took showing Andy's West UK scenery. Whilst in the LS8 I flew North Wales around Snowdon and in the Blanik I took off from Black Mountains gliding club in the Brecons, which is also in Wales. Hope the shots do your scenery justice Andy!

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:56 pm

Paul they are brilliant, very realistic.

Do you have a Nvidea graphics card? If yes I need to know your card settings. You have got your graphics set up really well. I have a Nvidea GTX 1070 but does not look as good as yours.
Condor CN = E20

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:36 pm

Hi Andy,

I use an old Nvidia GTX780. Your 1070 is more powerful than my card so you should be able to see exactly as I do!

My current monitor is only a 24" running 1920x1080 resolution.

This is from a Hardware post I posted in:

My Nvidia graphics settings are (set using Nvidia Inspector):

AA setting 2x Multisampling (Think this is overridden by in game but it's my default)
AA Transparency Supersampling 2x Supersampling (Same as above)

AF mode User-defined / Off
AF setting 16x
Texture filtering - Quality High Quality (default is only set to Quality)

Vertical Sync Force on (60hz monitor so limited to 60fps, more than enough)
Multi-display/mixed-GPU accel Single display performance mode
Power management mode Prefer maximum performance

In Simulator settings:
Fullscreen
MSAA 8x
MSAA quality 4
Vertical sync Un-ticked (limits to 50fps otherwise, I use Nvidia settings to force V-sync)

All Graphics options set at their highest and I use realistic canopy reflections.

I suspect your Anistropic Filtering settings and Texture Quality settings are what will be set lower causing yours to not look quite the same as what I see. Set what I have above and see how it goes! You should have no issues with FPS and those settings seeing as your card is more powerful than mine.

I've wasted many an hour in the past tweaking / optimizing graphics in other flight sims. The good thing that came from all of that past playing / tweaking is I have a good basis to start with. My problem now is my GPU is starting to show its age a bit :(